In wall Klipsch speakers

A1UC

I have been using a pair of the R 5650ii for about 18 months now as surrounds with no regrets. My room size and limited placement options made me choose the in walls over the more traditional speakers. I use them with the RF62ii and the RC62ii since they share the same horn and 6 1/2" woofer. They are a seamless match on movies and do a very admirable job on 5 channel stereo keeping up with the front 3 speakers.

• Moderators
I'm looking to do a L/C/R in wall and rears in ceiling or back wall

Only hearing in walls once I have to say I was impressed, you only get one shot so chose the placement carefully. I heard the Reference models and it sounded like the same drivers as floor standing Reference. I used in ceilings for my sisters back speakers and it works really good for that surround feel.

• Moderators

I think you will be fine, it would give you a really good Ht sound without adding a bunch more speakers to the room. We have 6 fortes for Ht in the same room as our 2 CH. The bad thing about this is we listen to Ht only a few times a year(normally), 2 Ch everyday, does not make sense really.

3 KL-7800-THX L/C/R Looks good :)

OK, wasn't expecting that, if it does not sound good there is a real problem !

KL-7800 can be picked up for about 500.00 each so 1500.00 or less isn't bad for the L/C/R , I tried over and over to build a HT/2CH combo and ended up just focusing on 2 CH for now .

The problem is now I miss having a 5.1 setup for movies and think going in wall with a nice receiver like a AVR-X4000 which I already owned and thought was a great value .

And going with in-walls might force you to hold onto them longer than a couple months. :P

lol never thought of that but your right it would :) And I would be a Klipsch fan boy again and get some respect :o

Edited by A1UC

I've been busy lately and haven't done much in the way of home theater.

Here is my thread from Christmas time where i installed 4 of the below speakers in my ceiling

Thread:

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/147147-santa-may-have-come-a-bit-early-in-ceiling-speaker-install/

Speakers Installed:

http://www.klipsch.com/CDT-5800-C-II

I will admit, the install was a *****. Putting the speakers in the ceiling was easy. Routing wires through walls and stuff....not so easy. I had to route wires out the side of my house in PVC pipe. If you are dealing with interior walls that are 8-9' you really won't run into firebreaks but on exterior walls there is a good chance. Also need to watch out for headers etc. The location of my tv center is an outcrop from the house so its like double headers, in the eve with no room to work. I snaked my wires through one of the eve vent holes.

The THX series is cool because they are self contained sealed units whereas the rest are infinite baffle. Each type has pros and cons. THX speakers are meant to play reference levels in more dedicated movie room type atmospheres so in a larger room, they would be more key. What i have is perfect for surround duty and probably overkill but i am stickler for doing things once and doing it the right way so i got 8" drivers to better match the rest of the setup.

• Like 1

THX is nice stuff and if you want to splurge, go for it! I think you can get away with the reference gear and be happy and it might help you wallet a bit. Give mike a call at acoustic sound design, thats who i used to get my in-ceilings and was actually one of the few purchases where i bought klipsch brand new. I would also get the biggest you can get from the get go. When you cut drywall, you can go bigger but these are decent size holes to patch if you change your mind.

Also, along with the wiring, you can also you nice indoor wire raceways to give a professional look. For your front stage, i would try and drop wires down the wall to some wall mounted binding posts with an electrical box behind it and then run wires through a raceway along the floor or molding or behind the molding and floor depending on the floor or under the carpet. Running wires laterally through the wall is hard because you would have to drill the studs which would involve removing drywall and patching. I suggest the binding post at the wall because once you run wires architecturally, you want to rerun them as least as possible and this give a really professional termination.

KL-7800 can be picked up for about 500.00 each so 1500.00 or less isn't bad for the L/C/R , I tried over and over to build a HT/2CH combo and ended up just focusing on 2 CH for now .

The problem is now I miss having a 5.1 setup for movies and think going in wall with a nice receiver like a AVR-X4000 which I already owned and thought was a great value .

+1. I have seen you buy and sell soo much gear. The easiest way if you have room is to have separate setups. I think your making the perfect compromise by going in wall and them 2 Channel in the same room. Brings up some interesting ideas for my living room now. Hmmmm

I'm pretty much in the same boat in the living room. There was no way I was going to have soap operas, Maurey, The View, et al playing all day on my tubes & Palladiums so until I can get something better the LCR in there is a set of Infinity satellites that sit right up on the mantle (TV over the fireplace) and hooked up to an Onkyo HT receiver. I would love to get some inwalls so the speakers will disappear but until then it works great. We don't "get down" in there for HT so reference inwalls will be more than adequate.

Seperate systems is the only way to go if possible so you are clearly on the right track, at least imo.