Looking at Upgrading

trarmstrong

It being the main living area, I suspect you may actually have something to do with not going bigger. I'm not sure I would either, and I have some giant speakers. However, as stated before, the room you have is big. Too big for what you have and what you are looking at.

There are some beautiful tower speakers out there for your mains (left and right). Get as big as looks good in the space. Choose a center to match your mains timbre and ability. All the surround speakers should be capable of 80Hz minimum. Either get 2 subs, or go with an infinite baffle sub-bass system. They are unobtrusive, and outperform everything.

If towers are out of the question for the mains, then consider a nice sized bookshelf. Any of the reference bookshelf units are a big upgrade from quintets.

Look into Icon (Best Buy) and Synergy (Newegg) series speakers if the Reference is out of your budget.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

It being the main living area, I suspect you may actually have something to do with not going bigger. I'm not sure I would either, and I have some giant speakers. However, as stated before, the room you have is big. Too big for what you have and what you are looking at.

There are some beautiful tower speakers out there for your mains (left and right). Get as big as looks good in the space. Choose a center to match your mains timbre and ability. All the surround speakers should be capable of 80Hz minimum. Either get 2 subs, or go with an infinite baffle sub-bass system. They are unobtrusive, and outperform everything.

If towers are out of the question for the mains, then consider a nice sized bookshelf. Any of the reference bookshelf units are a big upgrade from quintets.

Look into Icon (Best Buy) and Synergy (Newegg) series speakers if the Reference is out of your budget.

Good suggestions here!

Roger

Looking at upgrading my Klipsch HD300 system. It was bought while in college (and broke) and now with more money on hand I'm ready to upgrade.

Room: 17x19x8 - open floor plan with hall and kitchen entrances. Couch and seating located in middle

Receiver: Yamaha RX-371

I want to improve on is lowering the crossover (150Hz) and improve overall "brightness" - I know that's a Klipsch thing but I want more midrange depth.

Looking at:

1. Klipsch Quintet V

2. Polk Audio Blackstone TL250

3. Definitive ProCinema 600

I want the system to remain a lifestyle-sized system with no interest in going larger (due to it being the main living area and ....my wife).

Please give me recommendations or pros/cons of the Klipsch system over the others. Also subwoofer recommendations.

I am a huge fan of Klipsch and wish to remain a loyal customer (currently own: Klipsch HD300, Promedia 2.1, and headphones)

tramstrong,

First, welcome to the forum!! We hope you descide to stay awhile!

Secondly, I have 7 big ugly black splatter painted speakers that weigh 250 pounds each plus 4 very large subs, and I did not get them by making my wife happy, but she didn't leave me either. I'll get off my soap box now.

Third, if you can live with the substandard sound of a little speaker then know this, the two most important speakers in a surround system are the center channel and the sub woofer. Do you think she will let you go bigger on the center channel, and buy the best sub you can afford, even if it is way overkill on the other speakers. How much money can you budget on a sub??

Roger

WAF will never be an issue for me! My partners are told that my setup is important to me. They can change/do anything in the rest of the house, they DO NOT mess with my setup. If I wish to buy thousands of dollars worth of large speakers and amps, I do. I just do not understand.

Looking at upgrading my Klipsch HD300 system. It was bought while in college (and broke) and now with more money on hand I'm ready to upgrade.

Room: 17x19x8 - open floor plan with hall and kitchen entrances. Couch and seating located in middle

Receiver: Yamaha RX-371

I want to improve on is lowering the crossover (150Hz) and improve overall "brightness" - I know that's a Klipsch thing but I want more midrange depth.

Looking at:

1. Klipsch Quintet V

2. Polk Audio Blackstone TL250

3. Definitive ProCinema 600

I want the system to remain a lifestyle-sized system with no interest in going larger (due to it being the main living area and ....my wife).

Please give me recommendations or pros/cons of the Klipsch system over the others. Also subwoofer recommendations.

I am a huge fan of Klipsch and wish to remain a loyal customer (currently own: Klipsch HD300, Promedia 2.1, and headphones)

tramstrong,

First, welcome to the forum!! We hope you descide to stay awhile!

Secondly, I have 7 big ugly black splatter painted speakers that weigh 250 pounds each plus 4 very large subs, and I did not get them by making my wife happy, but she didn't leave me either. I'll get off my soap box now.

Third, if you can live with the substandard sound of a little speaker then know this, the two most important speakers in a surround system are the center channel and the sub woofer. Do you think she will let you go bigger on the center channel, and buy the best sub you can afford, even if it is way overkill on the other speakers. How much money can you budget on a sub??

Roger

WAF will never be an issue for me! My partners are told that my setup is important to me. They can change/do anything in the rest of the house, they DO NOT mess with my setup. If I wish to buy thousands of dollars worth of large speakers and amps, I do. I just do not understand.
I am trying not to offend, but I have heard this WAF b*lls**t to many times. Are we not men here?
  • Like 1

LOL.

I mean don't get me wrong ahoy wife happy life and sometimes compromises should be made, but I do feel like women are running the show for too many men these days. I ask for my wife's opinion and take it into consideration. It wasn't till recently when she wanted to get rid of my icon w "pretty" speakers and wanted the "much better sounding" rf-63's back. Her words exactly. Just get what you want. She will deal with it. And eventually fall in love with the sound. My wife loves working around the house while cranking Nora or whatever else she is in the mood for on the 63's!

Edited by Scrappydue

• Moderators

I have been very happily married for 17 years. To me, it's all about respect for each other. In a marriage, if we both don't agree on something, we don't do it, ESPECIALLY for big purchases. Just because I am the man of the house doesn't mean I get to just do whatever I want.

Originally, my wife's wishes was that I could do anything I want in the HT but no speakers in the living room. Over time, she has changed her mind. I could have went against her wishes and purchased the RF-7ii and put them in the living room but I value the relationship I have with my wife over any speakers I have ever owned or will ever own. When you respect each other's wishes, and learn to work through your differences, that's when relationships tend to work at their best. YMMV.

I have been very happily married for 17 years. To me, it's all about respect for each other. In a marriage, if we both don't agree on something, we don't do it, ESPECIALLY for big purchases. Just because I am the man of the house doesn't mean I get to just do whatever I want.

Originally, my wife's wishes was that I could do anything I want in the HT but no speakers in the living room. Over time, she has changed her mind. I could have went against her wishes and purchased the RF-7ii and put them in the living room but I value the relationship I have with my wife over any speakers I have ever owned or will ever own. When you respect each other's wishes, and learn to work through your differences, that's when relationships tend to work at their best. YMMV.

I agree you have to work with partners, and I have had 1 that got really into my gear almost as much as me. However, if I was told I had to get some lifestyle system with 2" woofers, I would politely tell whoever it was that it is not even going to be considered. Try telling a woman they are not to buy clothes or shoes or moisturizer etc...

LOL.

I mean don't get me wrong ahoy wife happy life and sometimes compromises should be made, but I do feel like women are running the show for too many men these days. I ask for my wife's opinion and take it into consideration. It wasn't till recently when she wanted to get rid of my icon w "pretty" speakers and wanted the "much better sounding" rf-63's back. Her words exactly. Just get what you want. She will deal with it. And eventually fall in love with the sound. My wife loves working around the house while cranking Nora or whatever else she is in the mood for on the 63's!

lucky man with the speakers and the woman who likes the speakers! !