Old-by becoming new-by or something in between...

2Bmusic

Hi Everyone!

I have been enjoying reading here for the last few months. I finally have the money to buy a audiophile quality system ..... I think. Like so many I am stretching my sound making dollars as efficaciously as I can. To that end a few questions please.

...not that interested in home theater buy I do want to play my plasma TV through what ever I buy.

.... I am on a limited budget.

...I found RF7 ll's at Amazon for ~ $1,600. Next is the amp. I was told that since the RF7ll are rated at 250 watts, I need a amp that puts out at least 200 watts. ( told this by a phone call to klipsch) That means I would have to go solid state ( SS). due to money constraints. First that does not make sense to me after looking at Klipsch's sound pressure chart. But i am thinking tubes are better. Are Tube that much better? If it is would a Dynaco VTA ST-120 with 60 watts give plenty enough head room.

If I choose SS, the Emotiva line looks good. I was even thinking of by-amping the RF7ll's. Which would work/ sound better. Emotiva can do that rather inexpensively.

So I guess my main question is: Would a Bob Latino Dynaco VTA ST-120 have more than enough power for the RF7ll's and yield the best possible sound for the buck?

I appreciate thoughtful kind responses. I have been reading for days and not really found a definitive answer!

Thanks in advance

Dave

Edited by 2Bmusic

I think tubes are timeless. Your speakers are insanely efficient and able to run with 5 watts without any issues. Some have said emotiva can be noisy with high efficiency speakers. The emo 300watt stereo is a great amp. I've heard it and really liked. The idea that you need big power is misleading and has alitto do with musical taste. Do you like heavy rock, rap, electricia. If so then SS is defin the right choice. If you everything else tubes will not leave you wanting. If you wanted tubes on a budget. Dynakitparts.com.The ST35 is a giant kill at 18 watts. Need more. So MKIV. The MKIII are great but the MK IV are so musical.

If I would use the Emotiva XPA-1L ( MONO BLOCK) ... would any circuit noise be low enough to be irrelevant ? I know I would be spending a bit more money, but I think it is better to purchase one time ( do it right the first time) . Plus I think emotiva will allow me to try the amps and send them back if i do not like them.

Has anyone listened to the Dynaco kit and compared it to a Emotiva or NAD amp set up?

Tube presentation many times can be more lush than crisp so it will depend on what you listen to and how you listen. SS is typically more crisp and tighter/stronger bottom end.

If you like lush and aren't looking for serious SS punch, tubes would be the way to go. Emotiva's 300watt is a great amp (I have one along with a bunch of other amps). The mono should even be better.

You could split the difference and go tube front end with SS amps. Many think this is a great compromise on both ends of the spectrum.

Welcome to the forum!

If you are considering going tubes, then you might consider a pair of Klipschorns if you have the corners and the room and a nice tube receiver like the Fisher 500C or the Fisher 800. That combination would be very hard to beat.

• Like 1

I don't have room for klipsch horns... Wish I did!

I don't know whether to go with a tube preamp

Or SS

I was thinking, After listening to Bob's recommendations, of Using the Antenuator on a st120... Plugging in whatever I wanted to use at the time.. Giving me time to save up and decide...

What do you think?

I perfer SS pre... super freaken quite good bandwidth. Ive had tube pres and loved them, modifed PAS3, C220, my own... but if one is trying to stretch a dollar... go SS pre then tube amp.... UNLESS you are listening to alot of Heavy rock, Rap, ectronica... then reverse what I said :-)

Bob Idea is a good one. If hooking up to a CD or DAC.... will be a great combo

Justin thx for input!

Do you think the ST 120 with 60 WPC

IS more than enough for the klipsch RF7ll

I ask because I had a Yamaha M2 with LED power meter. It played into snells. Sound was so good make your eyes leak!

Anyway, I could be listening to a tel-ark or 1/2mastered LP. With 15 watts constant ... Watts would peak over 100 during very dynamic passages... What does the collective think?

Also, doesnt a tube amp have more headroom... And 60 watt tube sound like 150 watts of SS POWER!

Also I have no idea how efficient the Snell's were!

Edited by 2Bmusic

One last try !!!! It is Impossible to help you if you are not giving the info we need, I prefer tube amps with all types of music, however my listening levels are my own, I am not a bass head, but i like clean detailed deep bass.

What type music do you find yourself listening to most ???? How loud do you like to listen ??? (concert level, or low level ?? )

Also I looked on amazon and the 1599.00 price is each speaker for a total of 3198.00 for a pair

you could get used cornwalls for much less and new hersey III, for a lot less.

Joe

...I found RF7 ll's at Amazon for ~ $1,600.
that is 1600 each most likely. they can be had for much less just do you know. look up acoustic sound design and then call the phone number and talk to mike. he will get you a set for much less than that

klipsch speakers are very efficient, RF and Heritage lines. You don't need to spend a lot for power, spend your money for quality, a good quality 30 watt amp, tube or solid state, will sound fantastic, a generic 100 watt amp.....not so much....

on the tube vs solid state question.....that's somewhat like asking someone whether they like red or blue better......they are two sides of the musical coin. one will give you an impact-full theater of sound, a home theater tour de force, the other will give you music...

take the red pill...