Neil Young's Pono

Tarheel

So, are you saying a Sound Master has Re-Mastered original Master Recordings?

Anyone get their new toy yet?

Anyone own a DX50 or DX90.....  http://www.ibasso.com/,  would like to hear your reviews.

a 10 volt swing is enough power to drive a Khorn directly without a power amp. It's about 17 Watts peak to peak. Would make a great demo on Khorns, LaScala, or Belles.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

So, are you saying a Sound Master has Re-Mastered original Master Recordings?

Anyone get their new toy yet?

Anyone own a DX50 or DX90.....  http://www.ibasso.com/,  would like to hear your reviews.

I believe that would be correct... We were told that they were getting the pre cd masters, and re mastering them for Pono (they were doing this because of the inherent defects of the CD mastering process where as the Pono did not have these defects, and could utilize more of the original master.. The demos that we heard were very impressive, and were the best I have ever heard other than listening live. You can load music you have ripped but I would not expect it to sound as good as the songs they had demoed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I received an update from Pono today.  My unit is not yet made.  The lengthy detailed explanation/apology listed the reasons for the delay.  

I can empathize.  In our business, it's a headache when our customers call and email for status updates, no matter how frequently we explain the delivery situation and assure them we will call them as soon as the products are available.  It's a real time waster.

I received an update from Pono today.  My unit is not yet made.  The lengthy detailed explanation/apology listed the reasons for the delay.  

I can empathize.  In our business, it's a headache when our customers call and email for status updates, no matter how frequently we explain the delivery situation and assure them we will call them as soon as the products are available.  It's a real time waster.

In the computer software world, that is called Vaporware.  Manufacturers put out the "buzz" on great sounding stuff, and if there is interest they try to produce it, but if no consumer or industry buzz, it never happened.

The vaporware analogy doesn't fit.

In this case, the Kickstarter response was several times greater than expected.  The problem is too much demand.

Those who have received their Pono players report excellent experiences.  The player can play most files, the higher the resolution, the better the result.  The HDTracks library is already available.  The Pono Music Store is accessible to the Kickstarter supporters, but only as the players are shipped.

• Like 1

How is the PONO better than other DACs. I get that it is portable.........my BenchMark DAC-2 sounds better and better the higher the Res.........same as PONO. So, are there other portables as good........or none? Just wondering.

I don't know, but like in another thread. If there is a easy way to do it with my android phone that would work for me.

I can play the HDTracks demo files in my Android phone.  They sound very good.

The higher resolution FLAC version of Dave Brubeck's Time Out will not play on my Adroid phone, but plays on my Windows 7 PC.  I asked HDTracks about this.  They replied that most portable devices are incapable of playing high resolution files.  Pono will be able to play such files.

I expect to use the Pono player more as an alternative to vinyl or CDs through my 2-channel system for relaxed critical listening.  I am in the process of ripping my worthy vinyl to high resolution FLAC files.  I do not plan to use Pono as a portable player.  

The sound quality of the WAV files in my Android phone, whether through ear buds, or the car or Boombox via Bluetooth, is satisfactory when on the go.  Nonetheless, I will try to couple Pono to the car and boombox via Bluetooth, just to see if it's worth the effort, and to see if Bluetooth noticeably degrades Pono. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From Kickstarter Project Update #51 received 11/17/14,

"As of this update we have manufactured:

• 9103 Chrome LE players 
  • 2824 Yellow players 
  • 380 Clear players

We are scheduled to complete 3497 Black players between December 2 and December 8. The black players were delayed because of supplier problems affecting the cosmetics of the special black soft touch paint. We expect all our Kickstarter production to be completed by December 8."

As I ordered a black one, I'll have to continue to be patient.  I've never felt so "virtuous."

In the meantime, I'm giving my single driver/tapped horn sub system a workout with streaming music through Roku from Pandora, Amazon Cloud & Rdio.  The heartbeat from DSOTM and the bass in Hotel California (live acoustic version) from Hell Freezes Over sound great from the Exodus Anarchy 25hz TH subs recommended by Carl, aka CECAA850 (see: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/138019-25hz-tapped-horn/page-12).  If the high resolution files through Pono makes a significant improvement, I'll be very happy.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My brother and I ordered Pono through Kickstarter independently. We just realized this a few weeks ago. My order number is 2884, his is 2885, I think that's a bizarre coincidence. He always did imitate his big brother. He got the tracking email today also.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Hey Diz, I really hope you like this pono, I am curious though if not using it as a portable would'nt you be just as well off with a better dac. Of course you will always have the option with Pono to go portable so there is that 

I would be real interested in hearing your impressions as compared to your current dac, Dacs have come along way over the last few years so will be interesting to see what they implement and how good the design is