21" and 18" comparison

jwc

Would somebody check my math/logic. I was screwin around with the idea of a subwoofer build that I would use in the range of 35Hz and below. Yea I know.....crossing low but entertain my idea for a minute.

I got these 5 different sub drivers in a 12 cuft box tuned to 12Hz. Port is round at 10" diameter about 9.5 ft in length.

Is the 18" new Dayton sub that good?

post-14392-0-37600000-1394762595_thumb.j

Edited by jwc

It may have more to do with the box size being a better match to the Dayton.

Open the parameters dropdown, and look to see if the ts specs are correct, or if there is anything missing. PE has the TS specs on the driver page, but you could also check the Dayton site.

Here is the Dayton spec sheet link: http://www.daytonaudio.com/media/resources/RSS460HO-4%20-%20Spec%20Sheet.pdf

Edited by mustang guy

Yes. That is what looks like mine. I could only assume a driver at about 1/4 price would power out way before the TC LMS. Interesting.....I haven't punched in this stuff for a bit.

• Like 1

The fs specs on the Dayton are a lot lower than the TC. That doesn't make it a better speaker, but the Dayton's are very good.

Set the box frequency to the fs of 19.6, and the curve will change for the better. At 12Hz, even a Linkwitz transform won't flatten it out.

You can get to 12Hz, but the box needs to be about 20cuft, and you will lose about 6db on efficiency. You will be 12hz-35hz +/-3db with an efficiency of about 85db and a max output of about 110db. The reason for this is you would reach max excursion at about 200 watts.

Guest David H

JC, I will check and see which 18 driver I used in Johnny 5's theater sub.

The bass is scary, literally feels like the house is coming apart.

I believe it is in an 18 cuft ported enclosure.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Some capable sub drivers I use are the beastly TC Sounds LMS-Ultra and Accoupower 18's, I am getting the RE XXX 18's. Massive linear displacement, the RE needs a larger cabinet.

Ideal for sealed cabinets used in multiples with PEQ applied to get flat response down to below any ported design.

I have a few Sound Splinter drivers (TC Sounds made), very high quality.

The negatives with TC Sounds...do not bottom the drivers, the alu cones do not forgive abuse/bottoming. If you bottom a diver is is being abused. I have never bottomed/damaged a single sub. Proper filters/box/port(tune if ported)are Paramount.Ported subs require filtering below tune as you can bottom easy providing enough power. Ideal design revolves around taking the driver to near thermal(wattage Wise) VC when nearing excursion limits. I try to remain within linear Xmax, never aproach Xmech or thermal limits.This is not a max SPL competition where you drive them to the brink of thermal/excursion suicide.

I in the camp of not a lot of PEQ between the xo and the lower limits of the sub. In general, one or two boost and cuts. Some people use a lot of filter to EQ the sub, what are your thoughts on how much PEQ to use? I don't recall any threads that discussed this topic.