Places in Indy to view HT w/projector and screen?

dewthedru

I think fryes right off exit 5 still has them and has a main room that consist of nothing but klipsch with a screen, at least last time I was in there it was still set up that way. Ovation may also be a place to take a look, I'm about an hour north of Indi and don't know of much places that have them set up for viewing. Wish I could help more since I'm closer than some but I'm worthless lol

Another vote for Ovation. Great people to deal with.

I know some of you are from Indy...I'm looking at putting a projector and screen in my HT but need to sell the idea to my wife first. Are there any showrooms in the area I could visit to demo the idea to her?

I would talk you out of it. I'm not a fan of projectors. HD TV's are far superior overall, since they don't need expensive bulbs to replace. Also there is too much loss of contrast with any reflective medium (vs. transmissive for HDTV), unless your room is pitch dark. Even then, Plasma or LCD/LED HDTV's look way sharper, with greater contrast, and brighness. With the price of LCD/LED TV's coming down, you can get 80" for what a good screen/projector combo will run you.

Thumbs down on that ideal. Yes, I'm in Indy.

im kind of the opposite. Don't get me wrong. My kuro picture is superior to the epson 8350. But the experience provided by the 106 and a projector is far superior to watching a tv. Even at 80". HOWEVER I would love to know where a 80" tv can be had for 1200ish? Cause eventually the kuro will need replaced. And an 80 would be great in the living room. If can't find a descent one for cheap then a projector will prolly makes it's way into the living room as well.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys have fry's electronics in Indiana? I thought that was a California thing.

I thought it was an indiana thing! I learn something new everyday!

Frys started right here in my home town of El Sobrante as a grocery store! I used to shop there when I was a kid with my mom. When the dad retired, the son didn't want to run a grocery store, so he sold it & opened an electronics store.

EDIT: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/fry-s-electronics-inc-history/

Edited by cyclonecj

How far is your seating position now? I was sitting about 13 feet from my 106 which I thought was perfect but once I added second row the front row is now about 10 feet which NOW IS perfect. If I sit in the back row and 16 feet it leaves me wanting bigger for sure

i'm sitting about 9.5 feet away from a 50" plasma. probably too far. that same seating position would be about 142" from a 120" screen, which is just about perfect according to a lot of sites.

I'm about 9.5 feet from 120" 16x9 and it's perfect for me.

I know some of you are from Indy...I'm looking at putting a projector and screen in my HT but need to sell the idea to my wife first. Are there any showrooms in the area I could visit to demo the idea to her?

I would talk you out of it. I'm not a fan of projectors. HD TV's are far superior overall, since they don't need expensive bulbs to replace. Also there is too much loss of contrast with any reflective medium (vs. transmissive for HDTV), unless your room is pitch dark. Even then, Plasma or LCD/LED HDTV's look way sharper, with greater contrast, and brighness. With the price of LCD/LED TV's coming down, you can get 80" for what a good screen/projector combo will run you.

Thumbs down on that ideal. Yes, I'm in Indy.

While I do think that the picture is better on TV screens, the sheer size of the projected screen is much more immersive.