2.1 system

scott_home

Scott, if you don't mind me asking, why so small of speakers for such a big room and what are you using the system for (movies or infrequent music)?

If it's not your main system for movie watching, I'd just go with RB-81's or 61's.

If it is going to be your main system, personally I'd be looking at La Scala's at minimum in a space like that. The newer version La Scala II's are more attractive than the old one's too.

I've owned some top end reference speakers (RF-83, RF-82) and none of them have ever had excellent imaging (as in some of the best I've heard). They did sound good though, much better than anything Best Buy sells.

For a main system, nothing's wrong with small speakers if it's a must, provided you realize they'll never perform as well as larger ones. I say this only because a lot of people buy small speakers expecting a lot. Things like room modes will also greatly effect low frequency response, so I'd also consider a second sub. I think this would help a lot in such a large room.

• Like 1

I would use RB-81's and get a duplicate sub. Be sure to buy some brackets to point them towards the main listening position.

Another option to try: I would tell my wife to not #$% with my audio and get bigger speakers and put them in front of the shelf :) Unless it's the living room, then I guess you're out of luck. The RF-63's aren't very wide at all and would be good speakers if you can pick up a used set and they'll fit...

Edited by etc6849

That is a very big room to fill with sound. I won't go out like etc and say you NEED la scalas. Cause you don't. I would no question go with the 81 over the 61 in your case as you will need the extra output that it has to offer. Svs makes great subs and to be honest it would match with any Speaker that Klipsch makes.

I would find a pair of RB-75's. With the K-50.1 1.75" titanium dome compression tweeter, they are a real over-achiever. I use one pair in a room 15 x 22 with 11 ceiling in a 2.1 configuration with outstanding results.

Edited by bhendrix
  • Like 3

I would find a pair of RB-75's. With the K-50.1 1.75" titanium dome compression tweeter, they are a real over-achiever. I use one pair in a room 15 x 22 with 11 ceiling in a 2.1 configuration with outstanding results.

hey bill if everything goes as planned i may be wanting to come hear your kpt stuff in the end of april.

Scrappy, could you do me a favor and quit referencing my posts. I will 100% do the same for you going forward.

Also, this is the third or forth time you've gone back and said something I did not say or flat out criticized my thoughts for no reason with no technical information to back it up. I said PERSONALLY. I did not say he NEEDED la scala's.

This is just like your other posts jumping on my for stating my opinion when the OP asked for it. Or one of your many others that purposely counters something I stated, but without any facts or reason, etc.

In short, if all your going to do is criticize me, I'd rather not talk to you. When anyone starts a post with I or personally, it is always their opinion (I thought was obvious but...). They aren't saying it's the only way to do something or that the OP must do it.

For others this is the crap I have to deal with to post here. On the bright side, everyone else seems nice.

I'd wait for sure. Klipsch has raised their prices too much since Audiovox bought them. The RF-7ii price of $1600/each is crazy. Even more crazy than what the pricing on the RF-83's were (I'm thinking MSRP was $1400/each). If it was me, I wouldn't pay more than $600/each and hold out for the next model before buying the RF-7ii's. 50% off sales also happen regularly on "A" stock if you wait around. I bought my A stock RF setup 50% off.

Used prices on the RF-83's and RF-7's seem to be about $800-$1100/set. I'm willing to bet it would be hard to hear a difference between them and the RF-7ii if there was a way to do an objective test. It's not like there's some radical difference in design philosophy between them, and the RF-7ii will be discontinued this year if you believe the rumors.

The Heritage speakers really are better for movies. I'm young so I never had the chance to hear the heritage line until I bought my La Scala II's from craigslist. When I first started buying speakers, I always thought the heritage folks were crazy as technology in the heritage line is decades old, until I actually listened to my LS II's. An all horn speaker really is the way to go if you want the best possible sound and bang for the buck (e.g. resale value).

the term "in my opinion" REALLY belongs in this statement. Just because YOU think the heritage speakers are better for movies does not mean they are. I dislike when people say that kind of stuff as so many new people scan these forums for info. They may read your quote and think that they have to buy heritage stuff for a great "movie" sound. And that is just not the case. Everyone's ears are different.

That is a very big room to fill with sound. I won't go out like etc and say you NEED la scalas. Cause you don't. I would no question go with the 81 over the 61 in your case as you will need the extra output that it has to offer. Svs makes great subs and to be honest it would match with any Speaker that Klipsch makes.

Man etc you sure are good at recommending huge gear!

• Like 1

Dude, please don't PM me again. You are not a moderator here and I'm entitled to post what I like. I don't think you have any right to continue to try to bully me around.

If you don't agree with it because it differs from your experience or setup, that's your prerogative. I also meant the wife thing as a joke, but apparently some readers did not take it that way. Please forgive me if this is the case.

sending you a PM like what should be done if you have an "issue"

For reference, this is a copy of the PM he just sent me?!?

look man i have no clue who you are but i have been around a long time. i offer my knowledge to those who ask but what i absolutely HATE is when new people come on here and offer advice to people which has NOTHING to do with what they actually asked or put what they have DOWN without even realizing it. that guy asked about 61 or 81. thats it. you didnt have to say he needed two subs or he needed or la scalas. and you REALLY didnt need to tell him to tell his wife to leave his audio stuff the $&C* alone!! you see what i'm saying. as new people come to this site and read the kind of stuff YOU post, they wont want to ask questions cause they will just think that "oh man i have quintets, but if i ask people will tell me to tell my wife to **** off and buy la scalas" oh and also you need dual subs!

see what i mean? i dont have an issue with you at all just the way you recommend stuff. SO...

with that being said, think about it. if you feel i am completely wrong well then tell me so and i will keep my mouth shut. but just think how of how new guys will read ANY advice you give to others who aren't fortunate to have a room like yours with one seat anf 4 la scalas k.

wow someone's feelings got hurt :o

your right i am not a moderator.

I would tell my wife to not #$% with my audio and get bigger speakers and put them in front of the shelf Unless it's the living room, then I guess you're out of luck.

his first words were literally:

Hi all, I have a large living room

Just wonder which RB series will go well with my SVS 12" cylinder sub (25-31). RB-61 or RB-81?

If it is going to be your main system, personally I'd be looking at La Scala's at minimum in a space like that.

case in point. he asked about a medium to large bookshelf and you recommended la scalas. makes sense.

I am not a moderator here either but this needs to stop, now.

Subjective comments and suggestions are made every day on this forum by many, including myself and the both of you combatants.

We all should just get used to it and do our part to help one another out the best way we know how.

I do agree though that we too often suggest things that were not asked for, like for example:

Poster asks, "Which amp would mate better with my speakers, amp A or amp B?"

Replier says, "You should get amp C."

Or how about this one.

"Which subwoofer should I get, the 12 inch or the 15 inch?"

"You should build a DIY 18 inch sub."

Get my point?

Folks, please don't trash me because of my observations.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 3

For others, I wanted to be sure the OP realized he won't get room filling sound from small speakers (not saying the OP does or not know this already). This was the only point to my post.

Many people think this is possible and salesmen will try to tell you it is. In general, if one wants excellent sound in a space like that, I'd be looking at larger speakers with a large mid-range coverage pattern, that's all. Again, I didn't mean to offend the OP and sorry if I did.

Edited by etc6849
  • Like 1

Etc, I agree with what you are saying but you have to realize that the RB-81 is not by any means a small speaker. Now if he was asking about 41's or 51's I would have advised going bigger as well. Also the benefit of being front ported vs rear Ported. I think the 81's will be exactly what he is seeking and can be placed into a bookshelf without taking up any floor space or sacrificing sound. Good luck to the OP. Let us see some pics once you chose something!

This is a photo of my living room. I originally planned to put the TV on top of the fireplace mantle but there is too much glare from the windows above the doors.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35348401/livingRoom.jpg

The current plan is to leave the TV as is. This is only a 43" TV. A new 60" TV will fill that opening nicely. The bookshelf speakers will be on the two top shelves. I may place the sub at the right corner when not in use and bring it to the center when in use.

The two floorstanding speakers along with SVS PB 10 will go to the master bedroom. The speakers are polk rti 12. The room is just too big for them. And the space has too many shapes and opening. Even with two SVS subs, the bass is just so so but not great.

WOW that's huge room. Two subs would even have trouble filling that size. How tall is your ceiling?

When you say the room is too big for the towers, that confuses me?

And also if you have that sub in the corner I would leave it there as you gain 3db of output by having it in the corner. Plus if you run room eq and then move the sub you are totally jacking up and applied dsp to that subwoofer.