2.1 system

scott_home

20' ceiling. I shot the photo from the dining room. The living room is 16' X 30' x 20'. Its back is open to the dining room and the left side is open to the walkway, so it is a big open space.

When I was testing the Polk, I would sit where the square side table is. It just did not sound right. By the way, I had a pair of KLF-20 before the Polk. They sounded worse than the Polk.

Scrappydue,

I have the same concern about placing the RB so up high and close together. I know speakers are generally placed below or on the sides of a TV. One option is to place them below the TV behind the cabinet doors.

reference_head,

The room has some echo. Sound treating (like carpeting the wall) this living room is not an option...

My current speakers are the 7.1 all in one onkyo package and I only use two of the seven speakers :) Anything from the reference series will surely sound better than what I have.

I know this is not what you ask, but maybe some in-wall or in the cabinet in-wall speakers can work. A thin sounbar may also work. You have a beautiful home but, acoustics in that room will be a nightmare if the speakers are up to high. The only other option would be a TV over the fireplace and some of the Gallery speakers.

I think the 81’s won’t have a problem as long as expectations are set accordingly. Larger speakers would definitely benefit in this big and beautiful space but since we are considering the 81 and 61s… the 81s are worth the extra coin for that room. They will look nice and neat if they are mounted too unless you plan to place them on a shelf which will also look great. Room acoustics are usually not WAF especially in a nice room like this but maybe a thick area rug would be beneficial. I have the Pro Media speakers with in my study and it’s a large room with wood floors and tall ceilings with nothing but bookcases. I added a rug and it improved the sound from those small speakers on my computer greatly. Looking forward to pics of the speakers in place and hearing a update on the sound you get

• 3 weeks later...

This is a beautiful room. Having a TV in there is definitely not what the room is going to be best at. You have a piano, and I bet that fills the house with the live auditorium sound you get. The fireplace is BEAUTIFUL, and I wish I could see what the view is out those side windows.

In my somewhat humble opinion, the TV and acoustics in this room just detract from it's ambiance. The seating arrangement is evidence of this. Without a TV, there could be a nice arrangement with a fireplace focal point and a large rug around which the furniture is arranged. A second sitting area in the same room could be focusing on live music from the piano. The cabinetry where the TV is would be great for a Desk surface and a computer making the TV the screen.

I know these are not things you would want to hear, but my opinions are only partially humble. :)

Is there a room, like in the basement where you could put together a killer HT for games, movies, etc??

PS: I have a lakehouse with vaulted ceilings, and the only TV I have is in the corner of the adjacent dining room/kitchen area. The acoustics are so bad for that little TV, that it's hard to hear anything at any volume. Then if somebody tries to talk, you can't hear them because of all the echoes. I made a HT area in the basement of that house and it works great!

Edited by mustang guy