Need a little info on Cornwall

dbomberger

As I get ready to retire, I've been bitten by the Vintage Audio viper. I've owned Heresey speakers, an early and well built THX surround system, but now I want an great 2 channel set-up. I happened upon a pristine set of Cornwalls today, which I think I am in love with. From the way they sounded I think I wouldn't need the subwoofer that I know I would if I went with Heresy. I've heard La Scala but they aren't for me somehow. In any event the Cornwalls in question say model B2 on the tag. Does this indicate that they are the second iteration of the original Cornwalls that would precede the Cornwall II's. These have the two cutouts on the bottom, whereas I see three on some photos of other Cornwalls.

Seems like these may be from 1983 according to the serial numbers.

Any thoughts! They come with flawless walnut cabinets and grilles.

Thanks in advance for any info you might have regarding these. Basically I'm still a Rock n Roll guy and like it loud and deep.

• Like 1

welcome to the forum. i don't know to much about what crossovers they used but i do know that late 1985 and early 86 was the start of the cornwall 2's

83 was the last year they used a letter in the serial number in this case it was the letter Y = 1983 and then in 84 they started the serial number with the year they were built.

83's should still have the K-55V and the square K-77 tweeeter and the K-33E woofer

Edited by Budman

Yes.. B2 circuit... they were originally B's from the factory but I THANKFULLY decided to follow Deans advice and change to the B2. That was the best upgrade I have ever made in my system upto and including going all analog/vinyl. The Aletheia Audio B2 Jupiter cap upgrade was the best money ever spent yielding the highest quality returns as far as I am concerned.

Before B/ After B2

12226728846_7a4e741cc7_h.jpg12226728846_7a4e741cc7_h.jpg

Edited by Schu

• 4 weeks later...