Anyone Change the Crossover Frequency in Stock K-horns?

Rhetor

I have been doing some forum lurking. I have heard that if you change how the internal wiring is connected to the crossover, I it can make a positive change in performance.

I have stock K-horns from the early 80s, with K77 round tweeters.i

It has a AA recently recapped crossover (Sonicaps).

Any way to do this simply? Or is it a myth that this can be done.

Note: I am not desired to buy different crossovers

I tried something like that on an AA on a LaScala, and it made it speaker sound worse. It was a resistor across terminals I think.

Huh . . . I thought it was simply moving the wires on the terminal from factory connection on the terminal strip.

Here is the one I tried. It was an experiment djk wanted to do to see if adding this 1uF cap would create an "eliptical filter".

Put one end of the cap under the screw for the tweeter +, and use a clip-lead to attachthe other end of the cap to the point where the 13µF, 2µF, and #5 connect together.

IMG_06401.jpg

I tried it, and it made the speaker sound worse.

Edited by mustang guy

I think you might be thinking about the mod where you move the tweeter wire off of tap 5, and reconnect it to input positive on the terminal strip (like the AK series of crossovers). Right now, the tweeter section is receiving its input through the 13uF capacitor. I've tried it and it doesn't sound right.

Billy... did you drop off the Crossover Roadshow list?

Bruce

Yeah, I had to . . . My Professional life ramped up to high speed (in a good way) about the time you were sending out the crossovers on Dean's roadshow. I have been reading the thread once in a while. I will look at what Fritz has done too.

Billy

Billy... did you drop off the Crossover Roadshow list?

Bruce

Yeah, I had to . . . My Professional life ramped up to high speed (in a good way) about the time you were sending out the crossovers on Dean's roadshow. I had been reading the roadshow thread once in a while. I will look at what Fritz has done too.

Billy

I think you might be thinking about the mod where you move the tweeter wire off of tap 5, and reconnect it to input positive on the terminal strip (like the AK series of crossovers). Right now, the tweeter section is receiving its input through the 13uF capacitor. I've tried it and it doesn't sound right.

That is it, Dean, what I had bounced around into.

If it did not sound right to you, good enough for me not to bother with it.

Thanks!

Billy

Here is the one I tried. It was an experiment djk wanted to do to see if adding this 1uF cap would create an "eliptical filter".

Put one end of the cap under the screw for the tweeter +, and use a clip-lead to attachthe other end of the cap to the point where the 13µF, 2µF, and #5 connect together.

IMG_06401.jpg

IMG_06401.jpg

Then I will learn from you experience . . . and not do it!

Thanks,

Billy

There is an article in Speaker Builder magazine that shows how to calculate the correct value (which I just guessed at).

IMO the stock elliptical filter in the AL and AK networks sounds just horrible, and it sounds much better to just disconnect it. The difference in how it sounds is far more that the 1dB difference in how it measures in level in the middle of its pass-band. The sound is most objectionable on female vocals and applause, both take on a nasty sibilant hiss characteristic with the elliptical filter.

There is an article in Speaker Builder magazine that shows how to calculate the correct value (which I just guessed at).

IMO the stock elliptical filter in the AL and AK networks sounds just horrible, and it sounds much better to just disconnect it. The difference in how it sounds is far more that the 1dB difference in how it measures in level in the middle of its pass-band. The sound is most objectionable on female vocals and applause, both take on a nasty sibilant hiss characteristic with the elliptical filter.

Thanks for the tip. I really like the AAs aI have in most of my Heritage speakers (recapped, of course). Just thought there might be a simple way to get a little extra out of the stock ones . . . Until I save my nickels for the DeanG ones!

Billy

IMG_06401.jpg

IMG_06401.jpg

Thanks,

Billy

And yes, that is a cigarette butt. I actually bought a cap and tried it. The LS suffered from nicotine withdraw and was horrible to live with for weeks after that experiment.

Thanks for that...

:wacko:

IMG_06401.jpg

IMG_06401.jpg

Thanks,

Billy

And yes, that is a cigarette butt. I actually bought a cap and tried it. The LS suffered from nicotine withdraw and was horrible to live with for weeks after that experiment.

Thanks for that...

:wacko:

Do not tell the Surgeon General!