Just got a pair of Black RF-7s!

willum24

What's up with this biamping frenzy all of a sudden. C'mon folks, you can light up a room with any of these speakers with less than a hundred watts!

Think of it like this: if you double the power, you only gain 3dB. And then of course there is the power compression issue. You can drive them so hard that the 3dB you gained by doubling the power gets lost by overdriving/overheating the voice coils.

"What is "power compression"? Speaker voice coils are made of copper or aluminum. As these voice coils increase in temperature during normal operation, the DC resistance of the voice coil increases. Greater voice coil resistance means less power transfer from the amplifier. As a result, the speaker will not play as loud when it's "warmed up" as it did when it was "cold". Some speakers may exhibit 3 to 6 dB of power compression. This means that power compression can have the same effect as taking away half of your PA!"

• Like 1

I can get all the level I want with a small amp or with a big amp, what I care about is how those amps sound. I can play my H3 with a single stereo amp or with a pair of amps (I have two matching stereo blocks) and I find that vertical bi amping with a pair of stereo blocks sounds better to me much better in fact, Switching back to one stereo block from two takes me about three weeks to get to the point where I can listen and enjoy the single stereo block. I always go back to using both amps. As always YMMV but I think it is worth listening to see what you think. Best regards Moray James.