27 replies to this topic

#1 lifter

lifter

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:09 AM

Im looking to get some mid bass cabs. No horn loaded. something with some 12s or 15s.. Im having the hardest time finding something like this. Do they exist or is this a special build??

Thanks

Klipsch LaScala birch, Lascala commercial, LaScala splits McIntosh, Danley, Crown, Cerwin Vega, Dbx, Alesis, Marantz, VPI, Music Fidelity, Wadia, Hafler, Sanyo, Onkyo, Danley, Velodyne, Bose, Jamo, NHT, Phase, Yamaha, Definitive... I think thats it- wow what a sickness...

#2 CECAA850

CECAA850

Klipsch Forum Lifer Carlooch

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,982 posts
  • LocationSoutheast TX

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:40 AM

Like THIS ? Or something more commercial?

A Harmony One remote runs a............. Pioneer Elite KURO 150FD display. Anthem D2 pre-pro. 4 QSC PLX 1104 amps. Oppo BDP-80 Blu-ray player. Toshiba XA2 HDDVD player. IB sub with 4 Ascendant Audio 18" drivers powered by a Behringer EP-2500. 2 Klipsch Dean G'd RF-7's, 1 Dean G'd RC-7, 2 RS-7's and 2 RB-35's, all protected by a Furman Elite 20-PFi

Bedroom 1, Lascalas w/ ALK networks and Crites tweeters, Juicy Music modded Crown D-45, Njoe Tjoeb CD player and an Anthem TLP-1. Tuba 18 sub powered by a Behringer A-500.

Bedroom 2, Heresy II's with III upgrade, Carver TFM-15, Carver CT-6 and a Sony CDP C235.

Bedroom 3, Cornscalas with Fastrack horns and Deans battery biased B2's, Ampsandsounds Stereo 15 and Transcendant  Sounds Grounded Grid pre.  

#3 lifter

lifter

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

uhmmmm.. I could probably make it work, but- yeah more commercial... And preferably passive..

Thanks

Klipsch LaScala birch, Lascala commercial, LaScala splits McIntosh, Danley, Crown, Cerwin Vega, Dbx, Alesis, Marantz, VPI, Music Fidelity, Wadia, Hafler, Sanyo, Onkyo, Danley, Velodyne, Bose, Jamo, NHT, Phase, Yamaha, Definitive... I think thats it- wow what a sickness...

#4 lifter

lifter

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

They need to hang with a few Danley TH 115s and Lascalas..

#5 CECAA850

CECAA850

• Moderators
  • 19,982 posts
  • LocationSoutheast TX

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

Then why do you want non horn loaded? Seems like you're limiting yourself. You'll need a bunch of direct radiators to keep up.

A Harmony One remote runs a............. Pioneer Elite KURO 150FD display. Anthem D2 pre-pro. 4 QSC PLX 1104 amps. Oppo BDP-80 Blu-ray player. Toshiba XA2 HDDVD player. IB sub with 4 Ascendant Audio 18" drivers powered by a Behringer EP-2500. 2 Klipsch Dean G'd RF-7's, 1 Dean G'd RC-7, 2 RS-7's and 2 RB-35's, all protected by a Furman Elite 20-PFi

Bedroom 1, Lascalas w/ ALK networks and Crites tweeters, Juicy Music modded Crown D-45, Njoe Tjoeb CD player and an Anthem TLP-1. Tuba 18 sub powered by a Behringer A-500.

Bedroom 2, Heresy II's with III upgrade, Carver TFM-15, Carver CT-6 and a Sony CDP C235.

Bedroom 3, Cornscalas with Fastrack horns and Deans battery biased B2's, Ampsandsounds Stereo 15 and Transcendant  Sounds Grounded Grid pre.  

#6 CECAA850

CECAA850

• Moderators
  • 19,982 posts
  • LocationSoutheast TX

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

What frequency range are you trying to cover?

#7 lifter

lifter

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

about 100-500.. I just thought the front loaders would give more punch..

#8 mustang guy

mustang guy

In charge of the big door

• Heritage Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

Where will you put them?

photo-26725.jpg?_r=1392654532

My shop (7.4 system):

Preamp: Integra DHC-80.3

HT Main amp: Integra DTA-70.1

Speakers: (7 total) La Scalas

Subs:

2 Bill Fitzmaurice THT pwrd by Crown XLS-202

2 Klipsch KPT-684 power by Yamaha P7000S

BluRay: Oppo BDP-93

Turntable: Rega P5 w/Ortofon 2M Blue

Projector: Epson 5020UB Screen: DaLite 130" HC Cinema Vision

Also in shop Fisher 80-T, 90-T, or KM-60 connected to a pair of Fisher 80-AZ monoblocks powering the front LaScalas

Front Scalas switched with Niles SPK-1

THT's Subwoofers controller Paradigm X30 and powered by same Crown XLS-202 above

#9 lifter

lifter

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

ha ha ha.. Well im down to just the 4 LS, 4 midhorns, 2 tweets, and 6 Danleys.. So I have plenty of room.. B)

#10 CECAA850

CECAA850

• Moderators
  • 19,982 posts
  • LocationSoutheast TX

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

ha ha ha.. Well im down to just the 4 LS, 4 midhorns, 2 tweets, and 6 Danleys.. So I have plenty of room.. B)

And you're having issues with mid bass?

#11 lifter

lifter

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Well its the quest of "it could/may sound better with a little more of this or that"?? I just like trying different stuff in the mix.. And as you see I got rid of a lot but what i listed..

#12 joessportster

joessportster

Forum Ultra Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts
  • LocationN. Carolina

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:56 AM

If you can find a pair look at the Urei 813, I had a pair for awhile, they had the most impact I have ever heard In mid bass, you could disable the treb horn. They were also very fast. I understand what your talking about I had edgar and oris horn systems and they were great but no real in your face impact. The sound was there just not as hard hitting as the direct radiator

Laptop running J-River, MC 20, to my Audiophilleo AP1 with PP, To my Metrum Octave Mk1, to my Kenzie Headphone Amp, to my modded HiFiMan HE500's

http://ampsandsound....-headphone-amp/

Got a cold mind, to go tripping across that thin line. sick of doing straight time

I am loving music all over againbeerchug.gif

#13 CECAA850

CECAA850

• Moderators
  • 19,982 posts
  • LocationSoutheast TX

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

I still have the plans (somewhere) of the bass cabs I built for my KP-250's. Each one housed a Peavey 18" Black Widow. Those things hit HARD. I remember using them at a party on my back porch one time. It had just rained and the water was standing on our flat topped garbage cans. The bins were about 10 feet away from the cans and the water was jumping off the cans like someone was hitting the lids with a stick. I ran each one off one side of a Behringer EP-4000.

#14 ClaudeJ1

ClaudeJ1

Forum Ultra Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Just get some used bass guitar cabs, which usually have 4 10" drivers.

Edited by ClaudeJ1, 18 March 2014 - 11:01 AM.

2.1/6.1=Front RCL=Danley SH-50,  SR and SL Ported Super Heresy's (Baby Cornwalls), Rear Center SPL TD-1 Unity Summation Aperture Horn. All driven by Onkyo 818 AVR Amp section. Twin 18" Bass Reflex subs from 0.1 Pre-Outs to Crown K2.
Oppo 103 for CD 2.1, HDMI out for 6.1 DVD/Blue Ray to Onkyo DSP's. Audyssey Multi EQ/XT32 room correction for ALL listening.

#15 ClaudeJ1

ClaudeJ1

Forum Ultra Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4aceeadec9

2.1/6.1=Front RCL=Danley SH-50,  SR and SL Ported Super Heresy's (Baby Cornwalls), Rear Center SPL TD-1 Unity Summation Aperture Horn. All driven by Onkyo 818 AVR Amp section. Twin 18" Bass Reflex subs from 0.1 Pre-Outs to Crown K2.
Oppo 103 for CD 2.1, HDMI out for 6.1 DVD/Blue Ray to Onkyo DSP's. Audyssey Multi EQ/XT32 room correction for ALL listening.

#16 ClaudeJ1

ClaudeJ1

Forum Ultra Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,084 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

Or just put one of these in each LaScala cabinet.

http://www.parts-exp...driver--290-422

#17 joessportster

joessportster

Forum Ultra Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts
  • LocationN. Carolina

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

Or just put one of these in each LaScala cabinet.

http://www.parts-exp...driver--290-422

Hey Claude

Are you saying to replace the lascala driver ??, If so wont horn loading in the lascala cab take away some of the Impact ?? I know the sound will be there Im talking about the Immediacy and impact. Just curious How you feel about this

Joe

Laptop running J-River, MC 20, to my Audiophilleo AP1 with PP, To my Metrum Octave Mk1, to my Kenzie Headphone Amp, to my modded HiFiMan HE500's

http://ampsandsound....-headphone-amp/

Got a cold mind, to go tripping across that thin line. sick of doing straight time

I am loving music all over againbeerchug.gif

#18 lifter

lifter

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

I think these may work?? Thoughts

http://www.ebay.com/...=item20e1c127dd

#19 lifter

lifter

Forum Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

My new configuration... 2 more Danleys coming..

Attached Thumbnails

• stereo318 (640x478).jpg

Edited by lifter, 18 March 2014 - 05:27 PM.

#20 moray james

moray james

Forum Ultra Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

take a look at speaker plans dot com you should find designs to do what you want. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.speakerplans.com/