Sub amp failure-Epik Legend

derrickdj1

• Moderators
I said earlier I was not going to buy anymore equipment for a while.

It just sucks when you have to buy something just to get back to where you were a few day ago.

What's cheaper a plate amp that would fit or something else ?

A plate amp will require cutting on the sub to get a good fit. A pro amp like Berhinger or Crown is more versatile. I like passive subs were you pick the amp. I have been wanting to build one just for fun and don't really want to trash this Epik sub. If I get an amp that can power two subs, that would be a nice option. I have come to really like 18 in. subs in the HT.

I would say inuke would be just fine. I would never put that little guy in with the already 4 18's you have. It would not keep up at all. And if your 4 18's ain't giving you enough tactile feel maybe it's time for another set of chase subs. I definitely wouldn't start mixing and matching drivers and what not down there.

I don't really need it for tactile but, I don't want to trash the sub and will not use it in the family room. The divers and cabinet are in great shape on the Legend. Just looking for a low cost alternative to get some use out of it. I am also skeptical about putting it in the mix with the big subs. This is why I was thing of getting amp that could support two subs to future proof things. I actually like pro amp and would not hestitate to use it with speakers. The HD 500 sub does as good a job as the Legend for what we use it for, sitcoms, soap opera, new, ect., lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

The xo in the Epik? I think that is what you are asking. Disconneting the speaker wires from the internal amp is pretty easy. To convert the the Legend to a passive sub can be done in around 10 min. The xo stuff is on the plate amp. My dilemna is will it add anything to the mix in my HT setup. If the xo question was on the XR 5 speakers, the xo's are all in one box at the top of the speaker.

Edited by derrickdj1

No, in the Legend all you have to do is unscrew the amp off the back of the sub and everything is on the amp board. It is really an easy mod to connect it to an external amp. I just can't figure out what I really want to do with the sub, lol.

I know you said that you pulled the amp and checked all the wires on the inside and found nothing burned, I had one for a while and it died after I sold it. There is a fuse on the outside of the plate amp and if you did not know it was there, you might miss finding it. Did you check the fuse? If I remember correctly it is next to the power switch or the power cord plug socket. There was a spare fuse in the holder. Bill

I atatched a picture of another amp, not Epik, but the fuse holder looked the same.

post-50898-0-96660000-1395579651_thumb.j

Thanks for the note about the fuse. I looked for a fuse and could not find one. I rechecked the amp today and still can't locate on. I looked by the power light, the 120/240 volt switch and inside on the amp board. Still nothing that looks like a fuse. They have tick glue all over the board but, unless it is something really small, I can't find one.

In the picture I supplied, right below the power plug socket, is a little door that has a fuse in it. Now this was over a year ago, but if I recall correctly, you had to use a small screwdriver to pry the little door open and there was the fuse. There might have been more than one version of this plate amp. Bill

I supplied one more picture

post-50898-0-05840000-1395714282_thumb.j

Edited by snailtrax

I replaced the fuse and the amp powers on. I get the familiar feedback sound when I plug in the RCA subwoofer cable. The red power light is lit but, no sound. Now it seems like something simple that I am over looking. This thing should work at this point. I can't remember if the red power light stays red or should turn green.

Edited by derrickdj1

I played with the auto on switch and turning it own blew the fuse. I use to leave it own all the time. Something may still be wrong on the board if using the auto on will cause a fuse to blow in the own position. Sound like there is a short somewhere.

Edited by derrickdj1