Sub amp failure-Epik Legend

derrickdj1

Well it has finally happen, my Epik Legend is dead. No lights, and no sound. I have substituted the Klipsch HD 500 sub behind the TV in the family room to pair with the VF 35's. This system is just for basic TV watching and occassional music.

Now to the heart of the thread, I still want to keep the Legend sub. I have though about a separate amp, like the Berhinger I Nuke 1000 since amp replacement is not possible. I want to leave the plate amp on the sub. Do you think I just need to connect the amp to the high level inputs or do I need to clip the wires inside the sub and run them to the speaker level post? I could use this sub as a nearfiel sub in the HT with the big 18 in. subs or will it not be a good match? Just looking for options and not wast a lot of time.

I looked inside the sub and nothing appears bruned and all wire have good contact.

You'll need to connect the wires from the driver directly to the back of the speaker wire inputs and completely disconnect the existing amp.

you could probably pull the amp and check out the high level speaker inputs - is it possible to physically isolate them from the amp board and connect them directly to the woofer? that would give you a clean method for connecting your external amp, but only if it entirely bypasses the internal amp circuitry.

You'll need to connect the wires from the driver directly to the back of the speaker wire inputs and completely disconnect the existing amp.

you could probably pull the amp and check out the high level speaker inputs - is it possible to physically isolate them from the amp board and connect them directly to the woofer? that would give you a clean method for connecting your external amp, but only if it entirely bypasses the internal amp circuitry.

I thought that's what I said. :blink:

ah. i thought you were discouraging the use of the high level inputs, even if he was able to isolate them.

Then they would no longer be high level inputs :P

on a dead amp, i figured that was assumed. the point was to avoid snaking wire through a port tube or drilling holes in the cabinet and having to epoxy or something. keep the plate amp in place, but use those existing binding posts as a pass-through.

ah. i thought you were discouraging the use of the high level inputs, even if he was able to isolate them.

Then they would no longer be high level inputs :P

on a dead amp, i figured that was assumed. the point was to avoid snaking wire through a port tube or drilling holes in the cabinet and having to epoxy or something. keep the plate amp in place, but use those existing binding posts as a pass-through.

BINGO. I still haven't figured out where the mis-communication came from. Normally it's on my end.

You two are funny, sure your not brothers ?

I kid a lot with Michael, he's good people, not unlike you Dtel. He's been to my house twice and I've been to his once. The better I know someone, the more liberties I take when responding to them as I'm fairly certain he knows I'm just being a knucklehead.

• Like 1

• Moderators
The better I know someone, the more liberties I take when responding to them as I'm fairly certain he knows I'm just being a knucklehead.

Your right and the fuzzy one is an easy to get along with person anyway.

• Moderators

Carl is responsible for about 60% of the speakers in my house, directly or indirectly. It's also because of him that I've managed to meet other DFW Klipschers such as Rudy81 and davis419b (also known as Rudy and Don). We have a 31 page PM thread...

60%, he is kind of an enabler, he has enabled me to find a new favorite adult beverage.

Guess we thread crapped enough on a not so Epic Legend ?

Good advice brothers, he he. Michael is right, I don't want to glue anything and keep the cabinet integrity. I knew it was only time before the cheap #$$ amp went out. The Epik goes down to a weak 16 Hz, I am wonder will it handicapped the other subs in the mix? The Epik will be used just to add a little near field pressure. Or should I consider a sub build, the Dayton 18 in for around $ 360. I would still need an amp?

I said earlier I was not going to buy anymore equipment for a while. :wacko: