Sub amp failure-Epik Legend

derrickdj1

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to publicly thank Derrick for sending me these drivers. I have all the panels cut for the clone box and routered the driver holes. I even made a 1/4" recess to flush mount the drivers. I still need to cut the recess and the opening for the plate amp. Work on the box is now at a stand still as I finish the box for my son's truck then start 2 horn subs for hugeroost. I'll post pics when done though.

Carl

I am sorry, I trashed the amp and the sub box. If the amp is bad, convert the sub to a passive unit and use a pro amp to power it. You can leave the old plate amp in the sub and not have to worry about how to cover up the hole. This was my original plan which I had all set to go and was waiting on the amp. Then I changed directions and went with some big subs.

I have two of the Legends and they are working fine. I have some detailed repair information on the amp and was going to try and repair it. Chances are the FETs in the power supply were bad. A simple fix but it looks like it's too late now...

Thanks Anyway!!!

I have two of the Legends and they are working fine. I have some detailed repair information on the amp and was going to try and repair it. Chances are the FETs in the power supply were bad. A simple fix but it looks like it's too late now...

Thanks Anyway!!!

Hi Istari I'm new here. I was just searching on google for some help on what plate amp to use to replace the broken ones in my Epik Legends. I came across this thread and decided to join this forum because I also have 2 dead Epik Legends; I just wanted to ask your and anybody else's advice to see if it's possible to get my subs working again. I found the fuses on the subs and mine have also a blown one fuse in each sub. I was wondering if there was any way to repair these amps? I have no knowledge of how to fix anything electrical, so I'm looking desperately for help.

You mentioned that you have some detailed repair information on the amp and you were going to try and repair them if they were still available. Would you mind telling me how you would have done this? I know someone who might be able to carry out the repairs for me, if it's too complicated for a newby to attempt. I'm a loathed to throw these away, so if it's possible to repair them, I would be really grateful for any advice you might be able to give.

Thanks in advance.

• 6 months later...

I never could figure out what actullay went bad.  My initial plan was to bypass the board and just hook it up to an I Nuke DSP amp for around $200.  It will be nice to see how you fix this amp and what type of cost is involved.  Something tells me it should be pretty reasonable.  Good luck Craig!

Edited by derrickdj1

I never could figure out what actullay went bad.  My initial plan was to bypass the board and just hook it up to an I Nuke DSP amp for around $200.  It will be nice to see how you fix this amp and what type of cost is involved.  Something tells me it should be pretty reasonable.  Good luck Craig!

There'll be a build thread very soon as to what you can do with the old Legend drivers. ;)

The demise of Epik is well documented, and most think is directly attributable to the catastrophic failure of those plate amps.

I'm sorry I can't direct you exactly where to go in the thread, but the failures and possible fixes are in there somewhere, I'm sure in the last couple of years of postings.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/885079-official-epik-subwoofer-thread.html

+++

I'm not sure if this is still available, but Dreamliner had a working plate amp to sell.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/885079-official-epik-subwoofer-thread-511.html#post28611017

Edited by wvu80