help picking matching speakers for older klf-10s

homebrewguy

I am building a new house, I hoping for some help with a home theater set up. It is being framed now and I have bonus space on 3rd floor I am going make a theater room. I have klipsch klf-10 for the mains and I don't want to replace them even though they are old. I also have RS-7 for the two rear channels and RS-3 (not 100% sure on this name) center. I need a new receiver so help on that would be awesome but I need to get more surround speakers. Is there speakers on the market that will play nice with what I have? Should I do 7.1 or 10.1?

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums. You have great speakers although they are mix matched from three different systems (see BOLD Items below). The model of your center is likely an RC-3 instead of a RS-3.

In the Reference Series Model Numbers....

R=Reference

F=Floorstanding

S=Surround

C=Center

KLF 10 Towers
KLF-C7 Center Channel
KSF-S5 Rear Surrounds
RF-7 Towers
RC-7 Center
RS-7 Surrounds
RF-3 Towers
RC-3 Center
RS-3 Surrounds

More isn't always better. A properly setup 5.1 is better than a poorly designed 7.1 and a properly setup 7.1 is better than a poorly designed 10.1. My opinion is start with a rock solid 5.1 setup and build from there.

I realize you don't want to replace the KLF-10's but IMO, that would be your weakest link since they are the very smallest of the KLF speakers (KLF-10, KLF-20 & KLF-30). You can find RF-3's for around $200. RF-7's for around $500 and RF-7's for around $800.

Surrounds are not near as important to match up so if you feel you need more surrounds, RS-3 or RS-35 are inexpensive and easily available.

Thank for the reply very much. Could I use the KLF-10s for the rear surrounds, use the RS-7 for the surrounds, and get new main, center channels, subwoofers, and I need to replace my old yamaha A-1 (witch pains me bc I love it). What would be the match if I were to do that?

I will post my 3rd floor, once I figure out the speakers, and hopefully you can give me a little help on where things should go, if walls should be moved, and then ultimatly what project I should buy.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want a great match just be patient and try to find a KLF C-7 for the center and either KLF-20's or 30's for the front. Add the sub of your choice, just find one that can keep up and digs deep enough. This is do-able. The speakers are out there and they do come up for sale. I know 'cause I did it!! The sound is incredible. I'm running 5.1 but if I wanted to expand, I'd look for more 10's or 20's. Like you, I replaced a mis-matched system. The seems to be finding a good sonic match, and staying within the KLF series really did the trick. I also replaced my Denon AVR with Marantz separates, and that made a significant, positive difference as well. Best of luck and keep us posted!!

I'd agree with Youthman on asking prices I've seen on the 30's ($600-$900) though i've also seen higher. Hard to tell what actual selling prices are. I got my 30's new in the late 90's. I later picked up 10's (my rear surrounds) and C-7 (center) off a CL sale in the Denver area for $350 which was a steal. The asking price on the C-7 alone is often $250 - $400. Again, who knows what actual selling prices are. Good luck!!

The guy wont break up his sale he wants 1800 for all it, it includes a bunch of other stuff I don't want. I am gonna keep looking but it sounds like I have some tough decisions to make. Maybe I would be better off starting over with newer stuff.

Here is the current design anyway, it is less than ideal but I gotta keep the wife happy. the rear surrounds are gonna be tricky and I don't think I can get my KLF-10 to work for them since I thinking I am gonna have to mount them to the ceiling.

post-58210-0-70840000-1395264870_thumb.j

• Moderators

Keep an eye out in the forums, audiogon and especially Craiglist. Lots of great finds out there if you are patient, keep some cash on hand and are continually looking. CL is where I have purchased the majority of my three setups.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, just pulled 700 lf of 12 gauge through the walls for different parts of the house, the majority of it in the theater space. I put enough in the right places so I could 11 channel surround. I doubt I will ever get that far but easier to put it all in the wall now. I also ran 3.5mm head phone jack cable for ir relay from the projection screen to the closet with all the components. So here is the question. I have never installed or owned a projector. My ir relay goes to the closet and but not up to the projector. Is there a trick to getting the ir signal up to the projector from the closet? I imagine I need to put on of those stick on ir relay things on the projector but all the cord for them seem to be very short? Am I over complicating this?

I wish I took more picks will have some next week.

post-58210-0-36100000-1402707350_thumb.j

Edited by homebrewguy

I would certainly pick up the C7 to match your 10s. Don't even think about replacing them with the RF-3s, that would be a step backwards IMHO. The 10s are certainly not a week link for theater. A quick swap to the Bob Crites Ti tweets is a nice mod for the KLF series. The addition of the proper center will make all of the difference to the front end. The 20s and 30s would be considered an upgrade over the 10s by many, for pure home theater you may not feel the difference is worth it. If you do change you fronts to the RF-7 you would want to change your center to the RC-7.

Good luck with the build!

As vnzbd said, I would keep the 10's in the front and find a C7 for the center and even used for the surrounds. Also, I would keep an eye open for 20's, then you could move the 10's to the rear. Also, don't forget to buy a really good sub or even build one. You're room is huge, you're going to need multiple subs.

I pieced together mine over several months watching CL like a hawk and the garage section here. It can be done, and since you're house is being built you have the time :)

Good luck!