My wife and I caught a hawk.

peshewah

post-19326-0-79520000-1395272411_thumb.j A hawk got into our chicken pen and was in the lower side of the pen eating one of our chicken. My wife heard the chickens freaking out and went out there and trapped the hawk in the pen. She came and got me and locked me in the pen with it. I had grabbed my Weber grilling gloves and caught it. It was as scared as I was. I thought about killing it because it found a food source. But I didn't have the guts to do it so I let it go. But if it comes back......

Going to try to post a picture.

Edited by peshewah
  • Like 2

Thanks Tarheel. It is a pretty cool picture.

That is a great idea on the relocate it. We have alot of woodpeckers so it might not help you out Derrick.

JL and Oldenough, it is a Cooper hawk. They are a small hawk. Looks bigger flying around my head.

Sancho, I don't want to hurt the bird. I can set on my front porch and watch them all day. But heck, I battle all kinds of animals trying to keep them off my chicken.

Cool shot. We had Red Tails nesting outside our bedroom window for a few years 'til their nesting tree died. Still see them hanging out on the dead snag. Just saw this one chowing down on a magpie.

RedTail_zps06801c22.jpg

Probably best to call your state wildlife agency or extension service regarding your hawk.

From this web site: http://icwdm.org/handbook/birds/HawksOwls.asp

"All hawks and owls are federally protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (16 USC, 703-711). These laws strictly prohibit the capture, killing, or possession of hawks or owls without special permit. No permits are required to scare depredating migratory birds except for endangered or threatened species (see Table 1), including bald and golden eagles."

Edited by sputnik