My new Cornscalawall 600hz/4000hz crossovers

justinsweber

ALKs new crossover for me.

I have a K401/ Selenuim D205 for mids, Eminence APt-200 for tweeter.

The new cornscalawall is set to 600hz as my Eminence Kappa 15C goes that high with ease and will make life even better for the D205 driver. My history with the APT-200 is that its incredibly hot and needed to be attenuated. 3+ years ago I went with APT12-500 and ES-5600. I love the sound of my hybrid crossovers... near time alignment and all that good stuff, but they were expensive.

The Cornscala wall gives me nearly the same flexibility at 1/2 the price... this was a serious hat trick by ALK. Having heard these in the form of cornscalawall 500/6000 I was in love... Just so musical. I couldn't afford big buck drivers for this PA rig... Id be too worried about them... and so the K401 1" driver dream was born.

ALKs crossovers actually make these mismatched parts sing in harmony.

ALK-Cornscalawall.jpg

ALK-Cornscalawall-3.jpg

ALK-Cornscalawall-2.jpg

ALK-Cornscalawall-4.jpg

Edited by justinsweber
  • Like 2

Its the tweeter attenuator. Allows me to fail back the tweeter. Tweeters are getting so hot that they can and do run in front of the midrange. Getting a neutral sound requires dialing in the output of each driver.

gallery_36992_88_7572.gif

Edited by justinsweber

Guest David H

Very nice Justin, I am sure they will work well with your driver horn combination.

The Cornscala wall gives me nearly the same flexibility at 1/2 the price... this was a serious hat trick by ALK.

ALK did pull this off nicely, attenuation for both the midrange and tweeter, Litz inductors and Audyn capacitors........NICE.

I have been using Audyns for years, great caps, good tolerance + low ESR, and sound as good if not better than the Sonicaps.

Dave

Edited by GotHover

Guest David H

From ALK's website.

An affordable no-compromise design built with no-nonsense parts including low loss Litz wire inductors and German Audyn Q4 polypropylene caps. Virtually the same design and sound quality as the original Universal network.

• A true 3-way network including a full crossover from squawker to tweeter at 4000, 5000 or 6000 Hz (bandpass) allowing the use of any quality squawker driver or the Klipsch K55.
  • The low frequency crossover is 1st order at roughly 400 or 600 Hz. The actual crossover frequency is acoustic and determined by the woofer and squawker driver and horn making it truly "Universal". It is compatible with the stock Cornwall, Heresy or virtually any Cornscala configuration.
  • Can be used in nearly all Klipsch based 3-way loudspeakers even those using wide range midrange drivers like the B&C DE85 at normal listening levels.
  • dscn4077.jpg Enlarge A specially designed autotransformer having low DC resistance and tight coupling provides taps to allow squawker level setting changes by the customer. The choices will be 1 to 18 dB in 1 dB steps, Attenuation is selected without soldering by push-on terminals and without cryptic setting tables. The attenuation settings are clearly written by each tap in dB units. The normal setting will be 6 dB. This adjustment will also allow the use of 8 or 16 Ohm squawker drivers without modification.
  • A stable 2, 4, 6 or 8 dB plug-selected L-pad is included to adjust the tweeter level.
  • Constant 6 to 8 Ohms resistive load impedance to the amplifier.
  • All networks are built in matched sets.

Congrats

I currently own and use two ALK crossovers

1) The Universal - a little pimped out

2) The AP12-600 + AP15-6000 Crossover Networks ( gental slope )

I like the fact that one can use the attenuators ( both mid range and tweeter ) to fine tune the driver output for best outcome

Getting a neutral sound requires dialing in the output of each driver.
That's a feature I miss in the older AR speakers. The ability to tweak the mid and high output to adapt to the room can really make a big difference.

Really nice crossovers.

Selenium D250X is correct... sorry about that.

These are for garage speakers... I have yet to sell any flat packs... lots of interest but no sales of them yet. If after 12mo I don’t sell any... I'll write them down and keep for myself. Either way, I planned on building a pair of splits to take to the park across the street for movie night :-). (Cheap projector, a sheet, battery supply and some chip amps.)

I had a ton of spare parts.... K401 being of note and wanted them to be used... so cobbling together a spare top-hat.

Guest David H
I think Justin meant the Selenium D250X

Yes I hope so. I have the Selenium D250X myself on the Electro voice SM120A. Works well for me, at a reasonable price too.

P1000934_zpsaedc1a1f.jpg

P1000926_zps2be47b68.jpg

The D250X is a fair driver, but has limited HF extension, that is why Justin chose the 600/4000 combination.

Nice that ALK is offering this crossover with selectable XO points for DIY enthusiasts.

Dave

Guest David H
I sort of feel bad the sellers part out old Klipsch speakers, but shipping prices are at fault

I have done the same to save a $$$$. However my last few projects I have just used the Economy universals.

Dave