Unhappy theater is finished

chambers1517

I am like youth. I spend more time working or doing other stuff than enjoy my theater. For me it is the passion of films and creating a unique theater to enjoy them in. I have loved film since I saw Jaws as a little kid and it only grew from there and I find I’m happiest (aside from being with my wife) when I’m at the movies in a theater or in my own. I spent a lot more time working on my theater than enjoying it and I’m ok with that. I enjoy working on it and crafting something nicer and nicer all the time like the rest of you on here. I equally enjoy reading about all of your theaters and 2.0 channel setups as I do chiming in. It’s a hobby and it isn’t meant to be enjoyed constantly. I couldn’t imagine ever being completely finished unless I just put my mattress in the IMAX and call it home lol. im pretty thankful the technology and the way we enjoy movies is constantly changing even though I find I enjoy the old way it was filmed just as much. I originally went to film school and ended up becoming an accountant/business owner with my wife so midlife crises I hope to jump into the film world but until then I will work on and enjoy my theater. I always say it’s good to have more than just one hobby to keep things interested and rotate things. I keep busy working on my salt water tank and doing projects around the house but my one true love is in movies, home theater, music and speaker world. Most likely you will delve back into this at some point. I do want to make a point to at least watch one film a week once I get my in wall rack completed. I used to watch a movie by myself once a week and one with the wife on Sunday up there.

I always wanted a theater room. I built a decent one in our old house but it wasn't everything I wanted. We bought our current house 6 years ago with an unfinished basement. I laid the theater out with tape on the floor, reasearched constantly about what I wanted and how to achieve my wants. For the last several years I would work on the theater when I got a chance. Thing always popped up to slow me down but I was always thinking, planning or researching my room. I finally mostly finished the room. Not much more to do but maybe some cosmetics. I'm not happy. I miss the excitement over things to do in the room. We watch a lot of movies and the kids love it. People come over and they love it, but for some reason I don't. Don't get me wrong, it is great but maybe over the years I built it up to be greater. Maybe just the lost excitement of anticipation. I really don't know. Anyone else do a theater and feel this way when it was done?

I know what you mean. I'm a contractor on hi-end homes, I've heard many people say they liked the building process so much that they missed it when it was over. I tell them there is a cure….build another home! A few have built a new home every 5-7 years.

I know what you mean. I'm a contractor on hi-end homes, I've heard many people say they liked the building process so much that they missed it when it was over. I tell them there is a cure….build another home! A few have built a new home every 5-7 years.

I have one particular client that remodels her perfectly exceptional home every 2 years, to the tune of $400K-$600K a go...

Is this a dedicated theater room. I think if it is try to find a way to make it a multipurpose room. This is what my intent is. When I first got into this, it was with thought of a dedicated home theater so my family and I can enjoy watching movies together. My wife and kids tend to do that more then I do. As a kid I all ways had a stereo system, but finances and family kept me away from that. Then finding enjoyment with the family when watching movies brought me back into this hobby. Now I am back to just listening to music. So my theory on having a dedicated theater room is kind of out the door and a multipurpose room is in. That way I can set down there and enjoy what I like doing while they do as wheel. I know I kind of jump around a little bit on that statement but maybe it makes since. Just my 2 cents of thought.

Made my HT a multi-purpose room. Iced my vinyl in there for 2 channel, then moved my home office (desk, computer, printers, etc) in there. Been an amazing use. I spend more time in there using it for a work space too! So, all that hard work for the HT final vision arrived ( and set up 7.1 in my wife's office and a couple of k-horns in the basement workshop) . . . then I found, "Well, I have arrived; now what?" Hardly ever went back in there until I turned it into multi-purpose HT, 2 channel vinyl, and office. I am enjoying the HT again and getting more desk work done!

And, since I work in there, it is easy to breakaway from the HT to work on my other hobbies, vintage muscle and motorcycles.

• 2 weeks later...

I say this in somewhat of a joking way but maybe an equipment change would help. If you have never experienced Heritage series speakers the therapy you need might be found in a pair of Klipschorns, later maybe add LaScalas and eventually one or two of the horn loaded subs like the Tuba. Just sayin... Good luck and happy listening.

Me, it is the chase, the digging, the looking in the out of the way places.

My son has used the HT more than the wife and I have recently. I do enjoy having people over, that is the best!

As to retirement, About a year and I will be forced into it or to find a different thing to do. The plant will be closing, we ALL will be on the street. At least I CAN retire with 34+ years, it is just happening a bit sooner than I had expected. I would have liked to go another 5 or 6 years. OH WELL!

Oh I am looking forward to retirement, I will never run out of things to do, I AM a blacksmith, it is not just a screen name and to that I have a pretty full wood shop and metal working shop shoe horned into 2,250 sq ft building, just steps from my back door :D

I would have rather had a little more time to get the house paid off first though, it was refinanced a couple years ago to a 15 year note and it would have been nice to be rid of that first but the money is there anyway, at least for now!

The HT, when I bought the Khorns for my 2 ch setup, I moved the Cornwalls to the HT and it made a HUGE improvement from the Quartets that used to be up front. Just to store the Quartets, they are stacked on the Cornwalls, they are not connected yet the sound image sure makes you think they are playing, it is awesome! :D

• Like 1

Room acoustics is an area with a big bang for the buck, especially if you make your own panels. When I toggle between Audyssey XT32 and pure audio, and I've come to realize my room sounds like crap without Audyssey. I still want to add bass traps, acoustic panels, etc though to minimize what Audyssey does and so I can play analog sources and have them sound as good (most AVR's bypass Audyssey when you use the multi-channel inputs).