Unhappy theater is finished

chambers1517

I always wanted a theater room. I built a decent one in our old house but it wasn't everything I wanted. We bought our current house 6 years ago with an unfinished basement. I laid the theater out with tape on the floor, reasearched constantly about what I wanted and how to achieve my wants. For the last several years I would work on the theater when I got a chance. Thing always popped up to slow me down but I was always thinking, planning or researching my room. I finally mostly finished the room. Not much more to do but maybe some cosmetics. I'm not happy. I miss the excitement over things to do in the room. We watch a lot of movies and the kids love it. People come over and they love it, but for some reason I don't. Don't get me wrong, it is great but maybe over the years I built it up to be greater. Maybe just the lost excitement of anticipation. I really don't know. Anyone else do a theater and feel this way when it was done?

• Like 1

I agree. My theater is not even close to

How I want it but it is as close as it will get in this rental. I think the thrill of the build is strong with you as it is me. And this is a hobby to all of us. I feel the same way. I always wanna do more or change stuff around. But not much else to do. Many way to start a second small home theater or a 2 channel setup. Something that you can change every so often to still give you that thrill? I just finished some small horn subs for my living room theater. And also about to move my 2 channel stuff around as well. It all helps.

• Like 1

• Moderators

There is a lot of excitement that comes with building a HT. I like you spent countless hours in the forums, looking up reviews, searching Cragslist. Lots of excitement and anticipation during my build. I've often shared on the forum that my journey was just as fun as the end result.

I love my HT but honestly, I don't use it but maybe a few times a month. My son uses it the most in our family. Wake Junkie thinks I'm crazy that I don't spend more time in there but I just stay too busy with my side business to break away to enjoy it very often.

I don't see anything wrong with you no longer enjoying the HT as much as you once did. People change hobbies all the time. My Dad used to be an avid fisherman, now he hunts. Maybe that's the same thing that is happening?

Unfortunately, everything in this life provides limited happiness. Remember as a kid that toy you were dying to have? Several years later, you can't even find the toy. The excitement is gone, and we move onto something else. That's just the nature of this world. That's why "stuff" will never really satisfy and provide lasting happiness. Relationships are what really matter. Friends, family, & faith are what mean the most to me. Those things never get old. ;) Even if you don't enjoy the HT as much as you did, enjoy the time you are able to spend with those friends and family that come over and enjoy your HT.

• Like 9

I think you guys are right. When I was a kid I had Heresy's in my room and would hook them up to my stereo tv. As I grew and surround and home theater became bigger I was always chasing the ultimate. Now I have gone as far as I am probably willing to go and it really is sad the chase is over. This has been a goal most of my life and it is funny that I am sad that I finally have what I always wanted.

Is this a dedicated theater room. I think if it is try to find a way to make it a multipurpose room. This is what my intent is. When I first got into this, it was with thought of a dedicated home theater so my family and I can enjoy watching movies together. My wife and kids tend to do that more then I do. As a kid I all ways had a stereo system, but finances and family kept me away from that. Then finding enjoyment with the family when watching movies brought me back into this hobby. Now I am back to just listening to music. So my theory on having a dedicated theater room is kind of out the door and a multipurpose room is in. That way I can set down there and enjoy what I like doing while they do as wheel. I know I kind of jump around a little bit on that statement but maybe it makes since. Just my 2 cents of thought.

The dream makes us happy and gives us something to work toward. It is like climbing Everest, the fun is in the preparation, the climb, the setback and finally reaching the summit. Once you are at the peak, time to find another mountain. Consider building or mod. speakers or amps. I think some of us like tinkering with things as much as we enjoyed the sound.

Edited by derrickdj1
  • Like 1

Don't ever want to be completely happy.

Unless I hit the lottery.

Seems the key is to be enjoying.

funny. I always think of what stereo stuff I would buy if I won the lotto. It would be RIDICULOUS! Lol I would have to build a separate house to keep it all in or my wife would leave me.
  • Like 1

This is normal in my experience.

You get a new piece of gear or change something up and really enjoy it at first. Then after a while you get used to it. Then you starting focusing on something else or another upgrade. I agree that just trying new products and moving things around from time to time provide a lot of the enjoyment for me and I have been enjoying listening to music and watching movies for 20 years now.

Sorry you are not enjoying your theater as much as you had hoped.

When I finished my ht I had to keep going so I started upstairs with a 2ch. Then it turned into another ht lol. It turned out to be a great idea having the two rooms with all the things I like. Plus I now have good use for the 70" I bought 6mo before I got the projector. Playing games and watching tv in the family room and then going down to the ht for the movies is a great way to keep the movie room special. Being down in it all the time can take away from the wow of it a bit.

Edited by reference_head

I know what you mean 1517. I worked long hours outdoors in any weather, holidays weekends you name it for 36 years. As the years passed I often thought of and looked forward to retirement. Now that the time has come and I am retired the reality is not exactly as I expected. To tell you the truth, retirement is just one hell of a lot better than I ever dreamed possible.

I worked my a$$ off for others as others dictated, now I do exactly what I want to do when I want to do it and I do it as many times as I want to. It just don't get any better than this.

You've got another project to look forward to after all.

Keith

I think you should enjoy the work of your labor as much when you can. You gave up countless hours from start to completion so it's time for your HT to payback. Half of your happines goes to the thrill and excitement of building the HT and half+enjoyment++ goes to using it.

Like you, there isn't much more for me to improve my HT - there are some but not critical. So what's left for me do is to enjoy using it watching my favorite movies and blasting them speakers until the walls tremble - this is the end-result and is what makes me happy.

It's Friday, plan on one movie, pop and butter some corns, and go use your HT and I'll do the same... ;)

• Like 1

You're like Wayne Carini. You love the chase. I am like that too, and what works for me is to start another project. I bounce between audio and cars personally, but I also dabble in woodwork. Over the last couple weeks, I have turned the 3rd stall of my garage into a dedicated woodworking shop. I assembled and calibrated a 54" table saw day before yesterday. Night before last, I reverse engineered a cabinet I will be duplicating, and entered the measurements into Sketchup. Last night I stripped the varnish from the cabinet.

If you want ideas for a new project, you've come to the right place. Especially if you want to spend some money. People in these parts like to help others spend their money. :)

Don't ever want to be completely happy.

Unless I hit the lottery.

Seems the key is to be enjoying.

funny. I always think of what stereo stuff I would buy if I won the lotto. It would be RIDICULOUS! Lol I would have to build a separate house to keep it all in or my wife would leave me.

Sounds good to me. I would do just that, or maybe a wing totally sound proofed from the rest of the house.

• Like 1

I agree. My theater is not even close to

How I want it but it is as close as it will get in this rental. I think the thrill of the build is strong with you as it is me. And this is a hobby to all of us. I feel the same way. I always wanna do more or change stuff around. But not much else to do. Many way to start a second small home theater or a 2 channel setup. Something that you can change every so often to still give you that thrill? I just finished some small horn subs for my living room theater. And also about to move my 2 channel stuff around as well. It all helps.

glad to see im not the only one that did a theater in a rental.