DIY Dayton Audio 18" build thread

holtrp

I pre-drilled pilot holes for the drivers. It was sort of a pain to line them back in for the final drop-in and if I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't have bothered, just drop in, drill and screw all at once. Only ended up with one screw that walked a little bit though. The #10 1" pan heads and 3/32" pilots are a perfect fit for these drivers.

post-32463-0-61880000-1396114792_thumb.j

post-32463-0-00800000-1396114813_thumb.j

Everything came right together yesterday afternoon. 4 lbs of poly per box.

Used a little over two 8 oz bottles of titebond, A full caulking tube of silicon and about 3/4 small tube of silicone. If you don't have gloves handy, make sure you have some Gojo or other heavy citrus cleaner on hand when using that silicone.

Never did break into the brad nails. I think my worst glued panel was about 1/16" off, nothing some sanding can't take care of.

post-32463-0-63360000-1396115397_thumb.j

post-32463-0-70880000-1396116208_thumb.j

So, I did a very short, quite functional checkout to make sure everything was working then let everything sit for 8 hours.

Last night I couldn't help myself and played around a little bit at -30 db. Later today I will try to crank it up and rattle some stuff off the walls.

Thanks for info on the iNuke Derrick. I got everything all dialed in. I believe you are right, I shouldn't have to limit anything with these subs, just be careful with the sub channel on the ARV.

First impression from last night are, they absolutely are louder and lower than anything I have heard. I never really noticed just how localized the bass was from my JL. I think Scrap and I are really in the same boat. That JL sounded fantastic at our last house when it was sitting in a living room on top of a crawlspace. As soon as it moved into the basement of our new home, it just couldn't do it.

I will do my best to check in and let everyone know how this set up is going. Birthday parties, bathroom remodels and summer time might slow things down a bit. Also, I am going to be in the market for a good mic and learning all the REW stuff to really tweak things.

Interesting build. What kind of performance do you expect below 20Hz?

i would say reference levels easily down to 12-15hz. My very similar setup provides flat bass down to 8hz

Interesting. I'm wondering how a pair would compare with my two SPUD builds. Hmmmmm..... :rolleyes:

Have you graph your room response and did something like a Real Traps test tone sweep?

Lol... Should have the house to myself for a bit tomorrow so I can test drive them.

Opened them up with master & commander cannon blasts at -5db and dropped a picture off the wall! The boss even likes them, not anywhere above -30, but she still likes them

Edited by holtrp

I had a friend over today and the wife was out of the house. We watched Tron Legacy at Reference level and the subs 3 db hot. Holt it is time to get crankin'.

thats what I'm talking about!!!

Holt, are these subs in a basement? Or any kind of concrete slab? If they aren't, throw in the hulk and watch the pulse canon scene at reference. And either way try flight of the Phoenix at around reference also. Be careful with that one though, I find my amp starting to clip on flight of the Phoenix. Ohhh but it's awesome.

Edited by Scrappydue

On Tron Legay the clip light came but, did not stay a solid red color. I just left thing alone. I think it is more the amount of time that it stays on. When this occured the power console was at 1445 watt, 10 amp, and 124 volts. Scrappy, why did you mention basement?

Holt the drivers on the Dayton build will get louder after a breakin period. I had to recalibrate the system after 2-3 weeks and after 2 months. Final pic's are in order.

Edited by derrickdj1

First impression from last night are, they absolutely are louder and lower than anything I have heard. I never really noticed just how localized the bass was from my JL. I think Scrap and I are really in the same boat. That JL sounded fantastic at our last house when it was sitting in a living room on top of a crawlspace. As soon as it moved into the basement of our new home, it just couldn't do it.

How do you have these laid out in the room?

Great thread, well put together(thread and sub system)...Been following and the way you said this would take months possibly til you got it finished. Glad it was fast....nicely done...Personally i'v used countless powered subs including the fathom 13 and still have a 110 i cant wait to see after a while of adjusting what your final thoughts are on this setup. Im jealous i only got 2 18" radians but no room for more in the house. In my next home im looking to possibly follow your exact sub setup. cheers and thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

Cool thread..!!!.. I thought my little RSW-12 radically changed my system for the better, you guys are nuts. :laugh:...Four 18's...

throw in the hul and watch the pulse canon scene at reference.
What movie are you talkin bout' Scrappy?......Holt I'm seriously jealous, and jealous of everybody else that have these monster wall shakers....Oooo "PACIFIC RIM"...that will help break in those subs. :emotion-22: ....Cheers

Yes, they are in a basement with pad and carpet over slab. I have each pair co-located flanking the center channel on the front wall. At some point, I will probably play around with moving them, turning them into the wall as suggested by Derrick and putting one mid way on each wall / corner, just for fun.

Unfortunately scrap, I don't have either of those flicks. My little demo session was sort of a bust yesterday, not nearly long enough. Got the wife and kids out of the house for only about an hour. Powered everything up and bam, my Oppo 83 tray won't close. Fooled around with that for about 30 mins and never got it working. Luckily, I still have my old Sony universal player on hand so I could get some LFE in.

So instead of doing some level matching, running audyssey, etc. I just blasted some demo scenes, making adjustments on the fly as I went - very scientific! War of the Worlds - Lighting and Pod Emerge, Master and Commander - Cannons and opening battle & Blackhawk Down - 'Irene' / Fast rope sequence. My phone was also about dead and I was frustrated with my Oppo so I didn't get my SPL meter out either to measure. Hope to get a few readings today.

I started playing around with just one sub on with all the other amps off so I could listen for distortion and watch for clipping. Honestly, just one of these things is more than enough for 99.9% of all listeners, very musical and loud. I have discovered probably a dozen new rattles in the basement as a result. The PEQ has one filter running at 20hz with a +6 db boost as per derrick's setup guide. I played around with some different settings but ended up with subs 3 db hot at the receiver and the gain on the iNukes just past high noon. I found that anything much further than this will bottom out the subs and / or clip the amp while at reference.

As for overall output, I am extremely impressed. I have never heard or felt anything that sounded better in a home or from a commercial sub. The bass is just ridiculous. I rattled a 1-1/4" screw and the RS-52 it was holding off the wall yesterday! My jean pants leg and chair back move when the bass hits. This is closer to car audio SPL than I have ever been.

Thanks for all the support on this project. I would be happy to answer any questions. Special thanks to Scrap and Derrick for taking the time to really help me out. I am far from done here. I have to make up my mind between Duratex and veneer, get a mic and learn REW / dial in etc.

Edited by holtrp