New Phone or ......

Speedball

New cell phone or did my boss just tighten my leash?

I got one of those new fangled Apple smart phones and it works OK. I do like the ability to go online and send someone an email.

Surprisingly the ease of using a tiny keyboard with my adult size fingers it works incredibly well.

Oh yeah,

My wife was laid off today after 40+ years with her job. Seems like Tenure doesn't mean much anymore. So much for her retirement.

As a side note.... My Boss and I get along well.

CHEERS!

• Like 1

My wife was laid off today after 40+ years with her job. Seems like Tenure doesn't mean much anymore. So much for her retirement.
that's terrible. as a "younger" one coming up in todays society that is very discouraging. i can't imagine that happening to me.

My most heartfelt prayers for you both my friend. God Bless You Two, sincerely

My 16 year old has her apple gear. My phone is volume off and only for emergencies. No home phone. Knock on my door if you need me. Blessings

• Like 2

No doubt. OTOH, 40 years is a long time - and maybe you can encourage her to enjoy this time off.

The phone thing: I have two. I have a 64Gig version of the iPhone 5S with almost 1500 songs on it plus a boatload of amazing applications. I also have a Samsung Notes III, which is another amazing piece of technology. This is my business phone, and since I've started using the thing I rarely need to get behind a real keyboard.

These devices ARE the future and I believe the PC as we know it will eventually be rendered obsolete. I also have an iPad Air which I'm rather fond of, and it hangs with me in my recliner in the evenings, primarily pulling duty as a reader.

All of my kids have iPhones, even Alexia, who is 8, has my old iPhone 4. Her communication skills and vocabulary are outstanding for her age, and it's because of texting with adult family members and playing some rather complex "games" - selected by Mom to supplement her home school curriculum. My kids know when to put the tools away.

There's so much negativity now surrounding these devices, and I really don't get it. Knowledge is power, and this puts all of it in your pocket, along with instantaneous access to local and world events and the ability to communicate with anyone, anytime - well, if I decide to pick my phone up, right Dave. : )

Edited by DeanG

I agree with CECAA850. I am an employment attorney and deal with people all the time who have lost their jobs. It sounds like a cliché, but it is true; losing your job (especially after 40 years) is like losing a family member. Many people define themselves by what they do for a living. When that is taken away, they sometimes lose themselves. People go through all of the stages of grieving when they lose their jobs, just like when they lose someone they love. It is very important to refocus and find something to occupy yourself. The routine that you have had for many years is gone, and that is one of the hardest things to deal with. Volunteering, going to the gym, etc., sometimes helps.

I wish you both the best. Although it is sometimes difficult to see at the moment of the separation, it really is "just a job" and that perspective helps one to move on.

Take care of yourselves.

Edited by eth2
  • Like 1

Good luck to you and your wife, I hope this is not to much of a financial burden on your family. Times like this are hard enough without the added $$$ problems that tend to follow

May I ask what your wife did for a living ??

As far as phones go I gave up all the smart phones a couple years ago, I found them very distracting and over priced, Paying ATT or Verizon more a month than I paid for electric, just didn't make much sense to me. I also found I did not like the tracking that came along with the bills (IE...Everyone knows where you are at anytime)

I Moved to the pay as you go plans where no personal info is given to activate and the only people on the planet that have my info are those I want to have it. It costs less than 1/2 a month for unlimited talk text and web (I dont use the web services, I just have an old time flip phone)

Edited by joessportster

Young couple at dinner both looking down in their laps texting. No verbal communication.

Mom and dad with their two sons (home from school for the weekend) having dinner. Both boys with their phones next to their plates....texting. Again...no verbal exchange. Father caught me looking and shrugged his shoulders.

Cell phone lights popping on during a movie....worse yet ring tones.

That to me is the down side :(

No cell phone here. Rarely miss it!

Edited by Tarheel
  • Like 1

There's so much negativity now surrounding these devices, and I really don't get it.

Here's what there is to get.

1. Loss of privacy and autonomy, with the latter being the most significant political condition.

2. Isolation of individuals into electronic silos.

3. Large permanent and growing sized hole in personal budgets.

That's the downside to be offset by the benefits.

Add to that loss of basic verbal communication skills and ability to interact with another human being. The art of conversation is becoming a thing of the past. Kids can't read a map or follow directions to a destination.