Hook-Up Tips?

DizRotus

Bi-amping subs is new to me. For years (decades) I've used a pair of DIY KEF B-139 transmission line subs to supplement a pair of LS3/5a speakers for TV/HT using a passive x-over from Madisound. A 10 band equalizer was used to eliminate boominess where they overlapped. The performance has been fine. Deep bass when in the source, without a constant rumble of faux bass the rest of the time.

I recently purchased 2 used Dayton 240 plate amps to power the 25 Hz tapped horn subs I'm building at the suggestion of Carl (see: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/138019-25hz-tapped-horn/page-4). The TH subs are for 2-channel system, not to replace the TL subs in the TV/HT system. I want to use the plate amps to experiment with the TL subs , as well as the TH subs. My questions are:

• Is it better to use low level inputs to the plate amps;
  • what are the trade-offs, if any, using high level inputs;
  • how much of a difference, if any, will there be using a single amp with summed channels, rather than an amp for each channel; and
  • what suggestions and/or experiences (good or bad) can you share?

In addition to tapping horns, I like to tap the collective brain trust of this group.

Thanks,

Neil

Edited by DizRotus

Low level allows you to use any bass management you may have from avr you are using. High levels will be affected by whatever you are doing to your mains (if anything at all)

As far as summing channels they can only handle 100 max watts. I'm guessing by model that each amp is 240 watts. You could destroy the drivers with that much power. I power mine with a dsp capable inuke 3000. I set a limiter at 99.6 watts at 4 ohms as well as a 48 db slope at 25hz. That way I NEVER have to worry about over driving them little woofers. I am falling more and more in love with them all the time.

Thanks Scrappy.

Your caution regarding over powering seems to suggest using one amp to drive both subs, as opposed to a separate amp for each sub. Am I understanding you correctly?

Edited by DizRotus

At present, my TL subs each have a discrete channel. I know the conventional wisdom is that low frequencies do not need to be delivered by separate left and right signals, but will the summed "mono" signal be as good as two distinct channels delivered to separate subs?

Edited by DizRotus

I'm kind of interested... doesn't the fact that the driver sits exposed in the throat area constrict the wave?

The woofer motor is exposed in the mouth area of the horn, not the throat. The woofer fires into the throat.

Nonetheless, the woofer motor does seem like it could interfere with the wave as it exits the horn mouth. That seems to be a fact with any tapped horn design. I suppose the designer of this horn took that into consideration. In any case, the praise for this design has been plentiful. Soon I'll be able to power them and report my own opinions.

post-6832-0-52760000-1395521525_thumb.jp

At present, my TL subs each have a discrete channel. I know the conventional wisdom is that low frequencies do not need to be delivered by separate left and right signals, but will the summed "mono" signal be as good as two distinct channels delivered to separate subs?

No. If you have 2 discrete signals, run one to each sub. There can be different bass info in each channel.

• Like 1