Acrylic Dust Cover Restoration?

DizRotus

Please share any successes or failures at polishing out scratches from acrylic dust covers.

I'm thinking those kits for polishing auto headlights, toothpaste or other techniques should work. I want to remove surface scratches from a Technics SL1500 dust cover. Before I experiment, I'd like to plumb the collective experience and wisdom of this group.

I tried a search without success.

Edited by DizRotus

I remember reading years ago to use a combination of Pledge and Windex together with a buffer for light surface scratches. I tried it on a foggy looking Sansui dustcover and it worked pretty well.

Keith

Scratches require something to cut the surface... begin at a very fine grit and go higher to desired level of finish.

You can use auto finish polish as long as it is fine grit. That is what I used with great results on my lexan in my car and on plexi glass on my picture frames. Neither of which is acrylic, but neither is acetate.

Edited by Schu

I use a product called "Flitz" for various things around the boat such as einenglass curtains and polycarbonate hatches, etc. It also works great on stainless, aluminum and other surfaces. I tried it on the dustcover of a Pioneer PL 530 and when used with the "Flitz Ball" it turned out very good. The flitz ball goes in a drill and is basically a buffer.

Give it a try