subwoofer to match heresy

dougie834

what is the best subwoofer to march heresy 3 ? im not looking for lots of deep bass just want one to flesh out the soundstage and add a bit of weight to kick drums etc,jimmy hughes reviwed the heresy 3 alone with a klipsch RW10d but could I get away with something smaller ?

no budget really,would two smaller subs be better than one large sub ?

IMO, multiple subs will be better than a single sub for smoothing. I ran 5 subs years ago that were like $100 each and it sounded great even though it didn't go as deep as a $500 sub would have. My current setup is 2 subs (not hooked up yet as the HT is still under construction though.

no budget really,would two smaller subs be better than one large sub ?

There's a lot of variables to that question so the answer would have to be "maybe but not always".

You'd have to list specific subs. As a rule, a single is easier to set up than duals. Duals can even out room issues OR decrease bass with phase issues.

I like the idea of two small subs such as klipsch sw350,as I have never had a sub before dose it get its signal from the pre amp main output ?

I hooked mine up to the sub out jack... What I did was hook up one sub and set my levels (from the back of the sub), then I unplugged that sub and plugged in another sub and set the levels on that one. I did this on each sub separately and the I used "Y" connectors to hook them all up. Once they were all hooked up I set my level with my AVP to the desired level. You can use a simple SPL meter to set them up.

my per amp hasnt got a sub or extra output so what would i do to connect a sub ?

What are you driving your Heresys with?

I drive my Heresys with an Integra DTM-40.4 receiver in a 13ft x 13ft room. What my system is not lacking is the kick in the chest impact/attack of the kick drum. From my understanding the kick drum ranges in frequency fro 60Hz to about 3000kHz. I do not use a sub in this system even though the Integra does have subwoofer preouts.

Bill

Edited by willland

You mentioned "no budget really". What could you spend?

If you have a reasonable chunk of change to throw around, I would suggest this.

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/SB13-Ultra#.UzCkPs7zRIA

The SB13 Ultra is a wonderfully musical sub that also has a high pass setting for preamps/integrated amps without subwoofer preouts.

SVS_SB13-Ultra_PG_front-%281%29_1_%282%2

SB13-Ultra_BO_back.jpg

Bill

• Like 2

You mentioned "no budget really". What could you spend?

If you have a reasonable chunk of change to throw around, I would suggest this.

http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/SB13-Ultra#.UzCkPs7zRIA

The SB13 Ultra is a wonderfully musical sub that also has a high pass setting for preamps/integrated amps without subwoofer preouts.

SVS_SB13-Ultra_PG_front-%281%29_1_%282%2

SB13-Ultra_BO_back.jpg

Bill

Now we are spending some change, lol. To the OP, if you have a smaller listening area for one or two people, one sub between the mains may do what you need. If the room is larger or also for HT, multiple subs are the way to go. The SVS sub above is a really nice sub and would prevent future upgrades.

If you have just one listening position I would spend my money on one nice sub. I am gonna guess the sb-13 is gonna be more than you are gonna want to spend. You could maybe go with their new sb-2000. Or you could also look into maybe a sub kit from parts express? I recently heard a Dayton kit and one of their box kits and it sounded pretty dang good. It was a sealed 10 and I think he said he spent about 400 on it total.