Glass tops

dachuckster

I have a set of Kg4s and RF7s and am looking to get glass tops for both.

Do people just go to a hardware store with the measurements of the tops and order a glass pane to use? And do people but the little rubber feet under the glass to keep them from moving?

Anything else special for the install? It seems like a pretty easy project.

• Like 1

I just bought three for the Belles last week. 3/8" Bronze with polished edges @ $55 a piece. The beveling here (or rather Houston as there is no one here that does it was $1.00 per inch).. They had to re-order because they hauled them on the side of a glass truck and rock chips were everywhere. They sent 4 instead of 3 which was a good thing as one of the new ones has rock chips. Another glass shop in town quoted $525 for three! Shop around.

Edited by USNRET

I have a buddy who used to work for a glass shop, well still does just one he can't get great deals at. He ran a edging machine that actually put the edges on, you could do pencil which is like a rounded edge and a beveled, and flat polished. But he got be a piece of 1/4" smoked with a nice beveled edge for nothing. I use it for my tt rack, I would check a glass shop, it should be better quality and more options. I would like to get some made for my Cornwalls but have the PWK logo etched on it, I think that would be cool.

• Like 1

have the PWK logo etched on it, I think that would be cool.
Get yourself the glass and a cheap sandblaster, tape the logo template to the glass and blass away. If you perhaps already have an air compressor the sand blaster for this use would not be much.

i have actually taken my tophat from my k-horns with me and i let them do the measuring

There are actually variances in dimensions on the K-Horn top hats from left to right! I took newspaper and did two tracings and took them to the glass shop. I use the clear plastic pads that the glass shop provides and you can't crank it enough to get the glass to move.

Roger

i'm actually in the process of having a set of glass tops made for my k-horns. i have a friend that owns a large glass shop that does commercial & residential custom windows & other applications. its a huge shop & he can make any size or shape of glass. i am looking into a pair for myself in 1/8" smoked with the standard polished edges, beveled is much more expensive. can do 1/4 or 3/16 too but he says for speaker tops 1/8 should be plenty & keeps the cost down.

i might look into making multiple sets once i get more info on the cost & figure out shipping issues.

Edited by klipschfancf4

have the PWK logo etched on it, I think that would be cool.
Get yourself the glass and a cheap sandblaster, tape the logo template to the glass and blast away. If you perhaps already have an air compressor the sand blaster for this use would not be much.

I have both, just need to figure out the template. I would think double sided tape would work to glue it down.

Edited by duder1982

hi guys

i'm actually in the process of having a set of glass tops made for my k-horns. i have a friend that owns a large glass shop that does commercial & residential custom windows & other applications. its a huge shop & he can make any size or shape of glass. i am looking into a pair for myself in 1/8" smoked with the standard polished edges, beveled is much more expensive. can do 1/4 or 3/16 too but he says for speaker tops 1/8 should be plenty & keeps the cost down.

i might look into making multiple sets once i get more info on the cost & figure out shipping issues.

1/8" is awfully thin for a top. If you ever have to pack it and move it, I doubt it would make the trip without at least cracking. You'd also have to be very careful when sitting something on it.

1/8 tempered glass is very strong for the thickness, unless you are putting something VERY heavy on it, it should be fine as just a dust/water protector. but it can be made as thick as desired. people move fine china & glasses etc that are as thin or thinner & they survice. guess its all in how its packed.

i had a piece of 3/16" smoked made for my coffee table & it gets lots of abuse & seems to be very strong. the suggested sizes come from a professional glass company owner so im fine with the thickness he recommends.

Edited by klipschfancf4

Be careful what you put under the glass tops. Lacquer never fully hardens (I was told this by Steve Phillips of Klipsch Customer Service), so it can be dented by localized pressure points, even rubber or plastic feet.

Large felt pads might be the safest way to go, as long as it's not too slippery to keep the glass in place.

The Plexi stands under the Jubilee 510 tweeters on my JubScalas have small clear rubber or plastic feet, so I cut cardboard to match the shape of the stands and they're sitting on the cardboard now. It's nearly the same colour as the lacquered walnut, so it's not really noticeable.

Also, has anyone considered using Plexiglas/Lucite instead of glass? It's softer and easier to scratch, but also lighter and unlikely to shatter if it ever falls to the floor.

Edited by Islander

Don't mean to be cranky, but:

• Thicker than 1/8
  • Tempered
  • Rubber feet, or some devices that will keep the glass from sliding, are needed to avoid decapitation in Earthquake Country (sooner or later the whole USA, except, perhaps, a little piece of Montana & a little piece of Texas)
Edited by Garyrc
  • Like 1

Garyrc you have it down almost exactly... Depending on finish, the rubber feet might not be best. Using felt padding may be better depending on the finish, lacquer vs oils... 1/4" plus in thickness and of course, tempered.

If dachuckster listens at high volume, we probably don't need to wait for the earthquake. :unsure: