bi-amp of RF-7 II main speakers

sweeko

• Moderators
I began my HT with Velodyne and went from a CT-100
that was my first real subwoofer when i was 13 i think. what a monster it seemed to be at the time.

I bought mine when I worked at Circuit City back in the day. Got it for 50% off with employee discount and ordering directly through the manufacturer. Velodyne makes fantastic subs as long as the amp holds out on you.

Your setup is very impressive.

It is a Velodyne DEQ-12R, 225W RMS. What is interesting to me is seeing some of the gallery pics of setups that have up to four 15" woofers sitting next to each other. Can you ell me what exactly is the owner trying to achieve there?

I am spending more time reading this forum and playing with my HT setup and am learning that the urge to make improvement never seems to diminish. That's where bang for the buck gets very important and I wonder where Klipsch falls into this category? Don't get me wrong, the sound Klipsch speakers produce is fantastic, I like it loud, and I love the way they look as well. I guess selling equipment and buying new is the way to go to keep up with new and better technology.

What is interesting to me is seeing some of the gallery pics of setups that have up to four 15" woofers sitting next to each other. Can you ell me what exactly is the owner trying to achieve there?

Serious woofage. :emotion-21: :emotion-21:

With a large room, you need a subwoofer/subwoofers to pressurize the room, especially for serious HT impact. For music, pressurization is not as important but still there are benefits to multiple subs. My multi-use family room/kitchen/nook is large(6000+ ft3), so larger or multiple subs do have their benefits.

When I first got my RF-63 system, I was using a Klipsch RW-10d. I knew immediately that the sub was not even in the same league as the 63's and it was easily overpowered by them. Soon after I replaced the RW-10d with an RSW-10d and while there was some improvement, especially for music, still would not even come close to pressurizing the room. I eventually picked up a pair of Paradigm Servo 15a's and I knew then I was on the right track.

Jump ahead a few months, and the Servo 15a's were replaced by a Revel B15 and again more improvement. Jump ahead another year and I added my SVS SB13+ and that move provided the most gains in my system so far, not just for HT but music too. Soon after I ran Audyssey MultEQ XT for the first time and a huge improvement in bass response was realized as well as all other frequencies.

While all this added tons of HT impact, musically the system was lagging behind, not bad but needing improvement. Lots of boominess along the left/right boundary seating and holes(nulls) in the center behind the main seating and rear(kitchen). When Youthman posted the photos of his newly acquired pair of cherry Klipsch RT-10d's, I had to have them. He drove them over one day and they were both placed in the front right/left corners where the SB13+ and B15 were. I moved the larger subs back a ways and the musical improvement was shocking while still maintaining excellent HT impact.

I know you really did not ask for it, but there was my subwoofer journey to the present.

Bill

• Like 1

Just curios are u using dedicated circuits for all that power? Or do you have a high rated circuit for the room? I Just had (2) dedicated 20 amp circuits for my room installed but I’m only powering (2) KA-1000 sub amps for my (4) THX subs and I run my A2 and A5 amp on the other circuit along with my proj. and other components. I also run the P2 for my 2 channel off one of the circuits as well. Not 100% necessary of course but it was easy to do. Just wondering

Just curios are u using dedicated circuits for all that power?

Just normal circuits. All sub amps are of the digital variety except for the Revel B15 which is a 1000w class A/B. The digital amps really don't draw the current like the A/B amps. I have never seen a a light flicker or tripped a circuit.

Bill

Can you ell me what exactly is the owner trying to achieve there?.

I went from a sony 50 watt sub in a surround sound in a box back in 1999 when the matrix came out, to a 12” sony sub (don’t remember the model numbers) to a Klpisch KW100 sub (my first klipsch speaker) , Then ventured to the Klipsch Synergy 12 sub when I picked up some RF-25s. Soon after I grabbed the RF-83 packaged completely with the RT-12d (miss that subwoofer greatly for music) Now run four THX ultra 2 subs powered by KA-1000 sub amplifiers and I’m sure 18” IB subs are in the foreseeable future at some point in the next house. The impact the subwoofers make with modern day home theater soundtracks is astonishing and like Bill said to pressurize or even over pressurize the room with low freq. becomes paramount to us home theater junkies.

Spending time reading this forum is an invaluable tool to us all here.

• Like 2

Sometime it is hard to believe that are systems don't require as much power as we think it should. I run my whole HT off two 15 amp circuits. Nothing has tripped a breaker and nothing is underpowered from looking at the power console and listening to it. Bill has a sweet setup! :)

Room is incredible bill :) subs everywhere :) I could def pull Bzleeping bag to the middle of that room and sleep like a baby Haha.

Thanks for the kind words. If only when we had the house built I would have chosen the "bonus room" plan of this house. If I was as in to A/V as I am now, it would have been an easy decision, and not much more $$$ to do it. :(

Bill

• Moderators
Sometime it is hard to believe that are systems don't require as much power as we think it should. I run my whole HT off two 15 amp circuits. Nothing has tripped a breaker and nothing is underpowered from looking at the power console and listening to it.

I'm running my entire system off of a 15amp circuit and I too have never tripped a breaker, even when I had dual Velodyne HGS15 subs.

Except for having no surround backs, my 5.1 speaker setup is all reference II, with the exception of a Velodyne 12" Subwoofer. the fronts are RF-7 II's. These are all pushed by an Onkyo NR-808 7.2 A/V Receiver. I asked for advise here as to whether or not I should undo my bi-amped fronts and add in surround back speakers. Bi-amping the fronts uses the surround back connectors and makes the setup 5.1. The replies here said yes, go with back surrounds. So I did make the change. No discernible difference, to my untrained ears at least. While doing this I also replaced virtually all the crappy speakers wires with pure copper wire purchased from Monoprice (thanks again youthman) and wired in a set of old, unused dusty PBS bookshelf speakers for the rear. I had to set the Onkyo software for old back speakers to a +4dB to match the other spekers. These old speakers are temporary until my newly purchased set of Klipsch RB-51 II,s arrive. :)

To hear the sound quality and dynamics of a contemporary movie I put on the latest streamed Avengers, assuming it would have all the various sound bells and whistles. The sound imaging was fantastic. I cranked it up and actually had it at 0dB for a very short while. I use a velodyne 12" sub and didn't hear any distortion. Crashing, explosions, choppers, everything was right where it was supposed to be. I am very pleased with the results. I'll try a blu ray Batman video later today. I'll try to hear if there is a difference in dynamics and clarity between streaming and DVD.

My next addition is putting a set of Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the couch to add to the realism of a movie. Got to do this while nobody is home because I have to modify the underside of the new couch. :ph34r: I am going to video the wife's expression when I put on Jurassic Park. As a side note, I am going to do the "subwoofer crawl" today. She is going to think I have gone over the edge.........later.

• Like 1

Except for having no surround backs, my 5.1 speaker setup is all reference II, with the exception of a Velodyne 12" Subwoofer. the fronts are RF-7 II's. These are all pushed by an Onkyo NR-808 7.2 A/V Receiver. I asked for advise here as to whether or not I should undo my bi-amped fronts and add in surround back speakers. Bi-amping the fronts uses the surround back connectors and makes the setup 5.1. The replies here said yes, go with back surrounds. So I did make the change. No discernible difference, to my untrained ears at least. While doing this I also replaced virtually all the crappy speakers wires with pure copper wire purchased from Monoprice (thanks again youthman) and wired in a set of old, unused dusty PBS bookshelf speakers for the rear. I had to set the Onkyo software for old back speakers to a +4dB to match the other spekers. These old speakers are temporary until my newly purchased set of Klipsch RB-51 II,s arrive. :)

To hear the sound quality and dynamics of a contemporary movie I put on the latest streamed Avengers, assuming it would have all the various sound bells and whistles. The sound imaging was fantastic. I cranked it up and actually had it at 0dB for a very short while. I use a velodyne 12" sub and didn't hear any distortion. Crashing, explosions, choppers, everything was right where it was supposed to be. I am very pleased with the results. I'll try a blu ray Batman video later today. I'll try to hear if there is a difference in dynamics and clarity between streaming and DVD.

My next addition is putting a set of Aura Pro Bass Shakers under the couch to add to the realism of a movie. Got to do this while nobody is home because I have to modify the underside of the new couch. :ph34r: I am going to video the wife's expression when I put on Jurassic Park. As a side note, I am going to do the "subwoofer crawl" today. She is going to think I have gone over the edge.........later.

Bass shakers should be a terrific addition. Put the video of the wife on the site.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 4/4/2014 at 10:03 AM, sweeko said:

No followup?

The suspense...the suspense!