To re-cap or not

loudandclear

I have what seems to be a controversial question about vintage audio. Is it a 'given' that you should re-cap all vintage gear when it has a 40yr birthday? I have read many a discussions about this and it seems to be a split poll. Thought I would ask here. Components in mind are Sansui receivers and amps circa 1975. They are in working condition and sound fine to me. Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks and happy listening!

I had my Sansui AU717 completely rebuilt last year and I have been very pleased with the improved sound quality. I purchased my amp used about 6 years ago and it sounded fine. During the rebuild it was found some repair work had been done. The materials used during the repairs did match the existing. After the rebuild the amp has a cleaner sound with improved bass. There are a few shops and individuals who will work on the Sansui models. Do some research before sending your unit anywhere and and get names of some folks who have had work performed by the shop or individual and give them a call.

Is it an expensive proposition to have this done by a professional?

It is imperative that a tech do the work, unless you are willing to undergo a very steep learning curve (so you don't brick the thing or worse kill yourself), and invest in some pricey equipment like an ESR meter and an Insulation tester.

The cost would depend on the tech you hire, and how much you have done and how boutique the components you choose.

What Sansui equipment do you have?

Is it an expensive proposition to have this done by a professional?

Probably cost less to rebuild your amp than it will to replace your existing loudspeakers when they blow up, not to mention that forty year old caps are going to sound very poor compared to quality new capacitors. I don't see any controversy about this just a parts lifespan and you are pushing the very edge of the envelope at forty years. Your parts stopped sounding their best more than twenty years ago. Best regards Moray James.

I have owned a few vintage craigslist buy marantz 22xx receivers. I have had a 2226b rebuilt and am currently having a 2270 rebuilt. I personally think it is money well spent. As Moray pointed out, caps either swell out or dry out, putting them out of spec. Replacing all these parts can be expensive but if it is in frequent use, I would go for it.

Certainly think that the quality of what you are recapping is important. I'm. For me I would not invest my money to recap in a typical 70s era receiver .

Yes there will be great improvement but still I don't think the end result would be cost effective. IMHO

Certainly think that the quality of what you are recapping is important. I'm. For me I would not invest my money to recap in a typical 70s era receiver .

Yes there will be great improvement but still I don't think the end result would be cost effective. IMHO

You are probably right... but many of us have done things that weren't cost effective. With a complete and proper rebuild you might not see that money back if you sell. The payback for me is to have fun with various old equipment that should be around and working for a long time. Looking at your equipment list I'd say you are pretty well set!

You are probably right... but many of us have done things that weren't cost effective. With a complete and proper rebuild you might not see that money back if you sell. The payback for me is to have fun with various old equipment that should be around and working for a long time. Looking at your equipment list I'd say you are pretty well set!

Believe me I have spent tons of dough on projects that were not cost effective. Had fun and that is the fun in the hobby. In fact I have a nice pioneer 70s reviewer that I had recapped . Paid more than it is worth but it's a nice piece for my shop!

I think Josh might need to update that equipment list.

As far as the subject at hand. Regardless if its cost effective or not any piece of audio gear 30+ years old should be recapped if reliable long term performance is important. There is also the danger of no longer available identical to original components being damage from being used long after it should be... many of the components in 70's solid state have not been produced in decades! Most of the good SS techs know how to cross reference and make things work but in many cases it can compromise or change the performance of the gear by doing so. In short rebuild it before it fails is the best policy. Same goes for Tube gear!!