To re-cap or not

loudandclear

Whats with all the sansui talk lately... my vote is for why bother

Sorry I brought the topic up! Didn't think it would disgruntle some folks! I am new to the vintage gear and just wanted some input from veteran users of some of their equipment. My first pieces were some Sansui stuff and I like what I hear, so just inquiring about some other brands and view-points. I should know by now after being around different people for some fifty-odd years there will always be a small percentage of them that don't play well with others:)Just saying.

No need to be sorry! I feel that we are caretakers of this vintage equipment. If someone doesn't care much for particular equipment they should pass it on to someone who might. I've saved numerous nice pieces of equipment and spent what some would say is more than they are worth. With some things you just don't know until you have already spent the money. Worst case is you find out what you don't like. Personally, I have no regrets except once I did not do a complete restore.

As far as the subject at hand. Regardless if its cost effective or not any piece of audio gear 30+ years old should be recapped if reliable long term performance is important. There is also the danger of no longer available identical to original components being damage from being used long after it should be... many of the components in 70's solid state have not been produced in decades! Most of the good SS techs know how to cross reference and make things work but in many cases it can compromise or change the performance of the gear by doing so. In short rebuild it before it fails is the best policy. Same goes for Tube gear!!

I do agree, that the job must be assigned to a qualified tech. No question. If one does not know what they are doing, they can really screw up the sound.

The parts are out there to make things right and the piece to sound the way it was intended to sound. What separates the men from the boys is keeping up with the latest parts in order to pull it off, as well as buying up stock when things are available, before they get dropped.

The only real exception currently, as far as unavailable parts affecting the sound goes, are some of the higher speed output devices used in the very few vintage amps that contained them. The TO3 versions of these high speed devices are long gone, and I don't see them coming back again for a very long time, if ever... And yes, these are important for these few amps to sound right. However, the rest of the stuff is available using proper substitutes. Note: 98% of the vintage gear out there does not use these high speed outputs. Keep listening folks. Old is still very damn good :)

Edited by paul79

The MJ21193 and MJ21194 are good also. Not huge difference, but the 93/94 have extended gain into larger currents, and the 95/96 have a bit wider SOA. The 93/94 will usually result in lower distortion numbers.

I'd choose the 93/94 for every amplifier below 250wpc.

Edited by paul79

Whats with all the sansui talk lately... my vote is for why bother

Sorry I brought the topic up! Didn't think it would disgruntle some folks! I am new to the vintage gear and just wanted some input from veteran users of some of their equipment. My first pieces were some Sansui stuff and I like what I hear, so just inquiring about some other brands and view-points. I should know by now after being around different people for some fifty-odd years there will always be a small percentage of them that don't play well with others:)Just saying.

Not everybody feels the same as I do. However I do like my old Sansui. I happen to enjoy them very much regardless of what some people may think of Sansui. Do I think it's the best there is out there. No, But neither is my Marantz units, my Fisher, my Mcintosh, or even my Trio.

The Fisher, Mcintosh, and Trio being Tube amps. And even those are far from the best. Tough Weenies! I like them. And I thought this was a place to ask questions as to how to improve what I, or someone else might have. I really don't give a rat's anul orfice if someone else likes what I have or not. Nor do I care if someone likes what another person on this forum has or not.

I believe the question was To re-cap or not?

So if I want to talk about my Sansui Gear I would certainly hope that those with constructive comments would help me out as they have in the past. And those with put downs about what I have, or another member has, and wants a little advice about are uncalled for. I would hope those who do not care for the gear that others have can keep their negative comments to themselves. Instead of being a anul orfice and attempting to put down others equipment.

And Schu, I was thinking of selling one of my Sansui, but now I think I'll keep it. Not that I expect you to give an Rats Anul Orfice! However feel welcome to stick your vote there if it feels good to you.

loudandclear, don't mind the occasional put down on the forum. Some people seem to need to do this to feel better about themselves. I wonder if it's not a "I'm better than you" or "My gear is so much better then yours that yours is not worth talking about" thing?

John W. Hendersonj

Edited by Taz

I vote repair it. If your piece sounded good to you and it's in good shape, it may be an inexpensive way to get it back on the road so to speak.

Nice link "many moons audio"

I'm going to contact him about my old Conrad Johnson stereo amp because I have always liked it until it started making a noise in one channel.

Pat