New Oppo 103 Darbee

Max2

Just got it set up late last night, just going the easy HDMI connection for now. I already had a Blu Ray player, but It wouldn't play SACD's so this was my first opportunity to listen to my Dark Side SACD. All I can say is wow. I have never heard Dark Side sound so good with such clarity and dynamics. I also had time to pop in Steely's Gaucho DVDA, Zeppelin's Celebration Blu Ray Audio, which was their last get together in 2007 with Bonhams son playing drums. I also snuck in Rush's Moving pictures Blu ray Audio. All the Audio disks just confirmed how its a shame we all cant listen to everything in a lossless format. Back to the Player, I stuck Avatar in and started messing with the Darbee settings and immediately was glad I spent the extra $100. What already looked really good before was suddenly transformed into what looked to be a full step above the normal BluRay format. I had contemplated for a few months on picking up a Marantz or Denon refurb and save $250, but Im really glad I went with the Oppo and now see what all the fuss is about. Hopefully, this player will be up to snuff for the next 5-10years

• Like 1

I have the 83 and have been thinking about upgrading to the 103. Wasn't really sure if Darbee was worth it. Good to hear someone chime in with a noticeable difference.

If you like DSOM, check out Wish You Were Here SACD. I really hope Pink releases more SACD, specifically The Wall and Meddle.

I have a -105D coming next week to replace a -93 ISO capable. Found a guy wanting an ISO 93 so we struck a deal. Nothing like getting what you paid 4 years later!

Really don't know how I'll use it. I'm thinking maybe I'll hook up everything to it: AppleTV into the 105, 105 XLRs into AV8801 Direct Stereo, HDMI into 8801 for ease of movie playing and 5.1 channel analog into 8801 for the few SACDs I have. and maybe 105 RCA 2 channel RCAs out to the NBS.

Which DAC better: Marantz 8801 or Oppo -105......

Edited by USNRET

MAX2, hope you don't mind the thread crapping....

Not being up to speed on DAC-a-lacks, would you say that either the Marantz and/or Oppo would be better than the Emotiva XDA-1 and XDA-2 DACs that I currently have?

Not being up to speed on DAC-a-lacks, would you say that either the Marantz and/or Oppo would be better than the Emotiva XDA-1 and XDA-2 DACs that I currently have?

Your XDA-2 has the same Analog Devices AD1955 DAC chip as my Cambridge Audio 840C CD player/DAC, though I am not certain that it has two DAC chips(one for each channel) as the 840C. With all that said, I am very pleased when I use the 840C as an outboard DAC. It is a given that it is a great CD player.

Since you will have all said gear in a few days, you should do an A-B-C-D comparison and let us know your opinion. :)

Bill

MAX2, hope you don't mind the thread crapping....

Shoot, don't worry about my threads. I always enjoy when threads take a turn and I end up learning something that I wasn't looking for. As far as the different DAC's go, Im not up to speed on all of them, but Im sure someone will step up that is. I was after a good midrange universal player for a decent price. After hum hawing around, I decided just to spend a little more and go with the Oppo. I have heard their service is top notch and I like the fact that building U players is all they do. Its their "forte" so to speak :)

Heck, I just saw where you have a 105 on the way.....ooooh, Im jealous! As good as my 103 sounds, I can't see you not being thrilled with the better components with the 105. Kudos!

Edited by Max2

Oppo customers service is GREAT. I sold my -93 to get the -105D. I promised the buyer that everything was pristine and as it turns out the Oppo shopping bag was torn and the manual had a crayon mark on it. I called Oppo today and asked if they could sell me a replacement bag and manual (yea, downloaded manual is available). A couple of question and the Oppo dude says hey, I recognize your name have you bought from us before? Yep, an -83 a -93..he interrupts with 'I'm shipping your -105D now, what do you need? The new printed manual and bag is on it's way to the new buyer; all is good.

Yep, pretty good guys to stop and pull old manuals and another bag and then send them to a 3rd party for you. Give us an update when the big 105 shows up. Are you going to run analog out of it? I was thinking about giving this a shot, but I didn't know if the DAC is my receiver was inferior to what is in the 103. Heck, the multi channel stuff is so good with a basic HDMI hookup, I probably won't ever mess with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a chance to pick up some other BluRays and Multi channel disks. I got Getz/Gilberto on 2channel BluRay. A great disk. You can hear the reed flutter in Stans Saxophone. Im loving this one. Fleetwood Mac: Rumors on DTS. Holy Cow, worth all 50 bucks I paid. This one ranks in my top three favorites easily. Queen: A Night at the Opera on BluRay DTS HD master. This one has some spacious mixing going on and utilizes the rear channels very well. Im eagerly waiting on a Jethro Tull Aqualung Anniversary box set. Let me rephrase....Im jonesing hard for some lossless JT. I also picked up the BeeGees, but it turned out to be a live 5.1. Although they played 33 songs which initially I though would be studio recordings, it turned out to be a live performance where they just played snippets of various songs. A little let down on that one, but still worth 20 bucks.

Very happy with my Oppo so far. As you can see I have only been using it for music, but Im thrilled I can finally play a SACD.

Im going to start a thread on the forum members here Personal must have SACD's, Blu ray Audio and DVDaudio disks.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you play DSD files on Oppo 103D like 105D w/o having to connected a USB hard drive directly to player? I would like to play my ripped SACD .dsf files from J River. Today they are converted and the sound is dull (little dynamics, veiled sound, etc.). I have a regular 103. when I connected a USB drive the DSD files sound much better. Of course I can play the silver SACD discs but that is a pain for jukeboxing.

Edited by Vectra
  • Like 1