Sansui or Pioneer

loudandclear

Being a Sansui guy. I have a opportunity to score a Pioneer sx780 for 150 bucks. Will I like the sound of this compared to the Sansui sound? I have never heard any vintage Pioneer before. Iknow this is subjective, but have to travel 1.5 hrs to audition so want some thoughts before I check it out. Will pair it with K-horns and Heresy's. Thanks

I have a 780, bought it for $50 years ago and sounds great. It needs a recap but anything that old will need one if it has not been done.

Mine is a workshop workhorse running some old 4 way 12" white van speakers.

For $150 i would pass, if its super clean & been recapped and serviced recently maybe its worth it if you really like the unit.

The 780 is a decent receiver but for $150-250 range there are better options out there.

do you check out the completed items page over on the bay for prices. check these out

my brother has a sx-1280 that i keep trying to get from him but it needs work

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=pioneer&_sop=3&_osacat=50596&_from=R40&LH_Complete=1&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xpioneer+780&_nkw=pioneer+780&_sacat=50596

Edited by Budman
  • Like 1

I would keep an eye out for a used NAD receiver or integrated amp. The older Luxman models are nice if you can find them for a reasonable price.

The older silverface Pioneer SX, Marantz 22**, Sansui G, ETC are decent sounding units, if you can find one thats been serviced for a reasonable price it would be worthwhile.

I prefer Sansui, I have a au-999, a G-9000, a G-9700, an au-517, a 9000z and a QRX 9001

had but sold a g-8000, 8-4700, Z9000 and a 9090

The only one I didnt care much for was the 9090, maybe it was the one I had but it sounded a bit darker and less detailed to me.

I picked up a Pioneer sx1250 and very excitedely had it completly restored, the deluxe restore, everything including the big caps!

Hated it, thought it was gonna be my main system but got rid of it quickly, it didnt have the high end detail the Sansuis have, the guy who restored it liked it, said it had a lot of Bass so I traded it to him. I suppose if you like the 9090 you would like the pioneer, kinda similar,

just my 2 Cents...someone else will suredely think exactly the opposite!

Ed

I have a guy at work whos dad has a 780, very unreliable apparently...I have had it fixed for him twice, and from what I hear its nothing special.

Sansui is what I prefer. Don't know where you are located, but I do have a Sansui G6000 I could bear to part with or maybe a G7000.

John

My brothers Pioneer just crapped out on him. PM me with a price John.

Check you email

I prefer Sansui, I have a au-999, a G-9000, a G-9700, an au-517, a 9000z and a QRX 9001

had but sold a g-8000, 8-4700, Z9000 and a 9090

The only one I didnt care much for was the 9090, maybe it was the one I had but it sounded a bit darker and less detailed to me.

I picked up a Pioneer sx1250 and very excitedely had it completly restored, the deluxe restore, everything including the big caps!

Hated it, thought it was gonna be my main system but got rid of it quickly, it didnt have the high end detail the Sansuis have, the guy who restored it liked it, said it had a lot of Bass so I traded it to him. I suppose if you like the 9090 you would like the pioneer, kinda similar,

just my 2 Cents...someone else will suredely think exactly the opposite!

Ed

I have a guy at work whos dad has a 780, very unreliable apparently...I have had it fixed for him twice, and from what I hear its nothing special.

No high end detail?! My experience with my SX1250 has been different. Paul79 rebuilt it basically from scratch into a beautiful one of a kind awesome receiver! It would cost a lot to get it away from me. It is complete overkill for Klipsch but lots of fun

This is the best sounding stereo receiver from the 70's that I have ever heard, the Tandberg TR2040. We sold it all, Yamaha, Harman Kardon, Pioneer, Luxman, Sony, Nakamichi, Setton, NAD, Onkyo, etc. They made bigger ones, but hands down I liked the musical sound of this one the best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tandberg-TR-2040-Receiver-/151222086627?pt=US_Stereo_Receivers&hash=item233589ebe3#ht_462wt_922

$_57.JPG
Edited by djk

My brothers Pioneer just crapped out on him. PM me with a price John.

Hmm... Why have you not contacted me on this? :) Don't scrap the Pioneer... And I'd take a SX series Pioneer over anything else, especially the 1250...

And a 1250 done right, has more high frequency detail than any other receiver I have ever heard. Something was wrong if it did not shine in this regard.

Edited by paul79

This is the best sounding stereo receiver from the 70's that I have ever heard, the Tandberg TR2040. We sold it all, Yamaha, Harman Kardon, Pioneer, Luxman, Sony, Nakamichi, Setton, NAD, Onkyo, etc. They made bigger ones, but hands down I liked the musical sound of this one the best.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tandberg-TR-2040-Receiver-/151222086627?pt=US_Stereo_Receivers&hash=item233589ebe3#ht_462wt_922

$_57.JPG

This was a great unit back in the day and still measures up well (in many cases, better) against today's gear....

• 8 years later...

Yeah...Zombie thread but...when it pops up in a search it's still influential. People read these and sometimes think ...well that's it. Well...I have Pioneers, including the 780 which sounds pretty darn good on klipsch. Never touched in 40+ years, daily driver. I also have a few Sansui's, 9090 and a G3500 which sound nothing like a Pioneer to me. The 9090 is so different most people can hear it instantly. The clarity on the top end and the thunderous bass are about the opposite of the well mannered Pioneers. They are smooth, even, balanced to my ears. The Sansui 9090 is a musical treat to my ears, it's just a great music player for Rock and Jazz at least to me. A guitar really has that powerful bite and a drums pound even more than maybe they should according to my wifey.