New forum search is extremely difficult to find old threads

• Moderators

Chad, if I use the advanced search and try searching for RF-7 with "All words" and youthman as the Author, I get zero results. I have posted MANY threads about the RF-7's so I cannot figure out what the magic formula is to be able to locate previous threads that I've started. Any advice?

• Like 2

This may not be the "end all" solution, but try:

1 - Click on the cog/gear to the right of the search bar

2 - Enter RF-7 Youthman after "find words"

3 - Set the match for "all words" and "title and content"

4 - Scroll and click on "search now"

I find 59 relevant results. Hope this helps a little.

• Moderators
Hope this helps a little.

Yes it does....at least a little. It does seem to work better if you put the author in the "find words" area instead of the "find author" box (where you would think it would belong) but it still isn't near as usable as the search in the previous forum.

For example, I am having a really hard time finding this thread. You would think I could search for rf-7 vs rf-7ii vs rf-83 and hit search and it would be the first thing that popped up but instead it says, "No results found for 'rf-7 vs rf-7ii vs rf-83'". Seriously?

Chad, if I use the advanced search and try searching for RF-7 with "All words" and youthman as the Author, I get zero results. I have posted MANY threads about the RF-7's so I cannot figure out what the magic formula is to be able to locate previous threads that I've started. Any advice?

Try putting RF-7 in quotes. The minus sign means exclude in most search algorithms. Try pasting this in your search:

"RF-7" youthman

For example, I am having a really hard time finding this thread. You would think I could search for rf-7 vs rf-7ii vs rf-83 and hit search and it would be the first thing that popped up but instead it says, "No results found for 'rf-7 vs rf-7ii vs rf-83'". Seriously?

Yeah, the functionality sucks. Unfortunately, the search works well if you can remember the exact title. A search for "RF-7 Vs Rf-7II Vs RF-83 Comparison" brings up ONLY the thread you were looking for, while a search for only "Comparison" has it 5th of MANY. I think Mustang Guy is onto something regarding the minus sign...

Edited by mungkiman

• Moderators
A search for "RF-7 Vs Rf-7II Vs RF-83 Comparison" brings up ONLY the thread you were looking for, while a search for only "Comparison" has it 5th of MANY. I think Mustang Guy is onto something regarding the minus sign...

What's really goofy is if you search for RF-7 Vs Rf-7II Vs RF-83 Comparison (without using quotes), you get 3 pages of threads and NONE of them are the RF-7 Vs Rf-7II Vs RF-83 Comparison thread. :huh:

At least before, you could search for RF-7 or RF7 and it would return the same results. With the new forum, you have to remember which way you wrote it. My guess is if you write RF-7's and search for RF-7, you will not get the same results.

It's just frustrating that it's pretty difficult to find old threads that you want to reference or go back through.

• Moderators

That might come in handy. Thx Mungkiman. This is exactly what I was looking for. Some practical ways to use the new search feature.

Well...I thought it was handy. Just tried to find the thread that I called something like "My son's room just received an upgrade".

For "find words" = son (even tried son's), "match" = search only in titles and "find author" youthman......NADA. LOL

• Moderators
Well...I thought it was handy. Just tried to find the thread that I called something like "My son's room just received an upgrade". For "find words" = son (even tried son's), "match" = search only in titles and "find author" youthman......NADA. LOL

Looks like the reason it did not work is the Title of that thread is "My 14yr old son just got an upgrade to his bedroom setup". Stinks that if you don't get the 'keywords" EXACTLY right, it won't find it. Oh well....guess it's just something we will have to try as many variations until we find the thread we are looking for.

Giant PITA...

Yep....agree with ya there.

• Moderators

I wouldn't have remembered I used the word "setup" in the original title. That's what makes it so difficult. If you don't remember it exactly, you have to figure out another way. But everyone's suggestions have definitely helped. I just might have to try different methods to locate a thread I'm looking for. Appreciate all the help guys.

When I try:

"RF-7" "Rf-7II" "RF-83" Comparison

I get 3 hits, all posts in the same thread. I am not sure why pasting the entire title in quotes doesn't work. Perhaps the algorithm has trouble parsing it due to multiple minus signs, or perhaps the title is stored slightly differently than it is displayed.

It is also puzzling to see only 3 hits with the above search, as the thread has 90 posts.

When I try:

RF-7 Vs Rf-7II Vs RF-83 Comparison

in Google, this thread is the first hit. Works perfectly.

PS: I used to have websites, and I found the Google search function very useful as compared to the index function in IIS. Here is a link to that offer: https://www.google.com/cse/

Edited by mustang guy

• Administrators

I feel everyone's pain, I really do. Unfortunately, the search function in this version of the forum software is widely regarded as horrible.

The only thing I can say repeat to everyone is that we've been promised a brand-new search system in version 4.0 of the software. When that comes out, they've not let us know. I'm assuming by sometime this summer as they keep relaying posts about all the other new features (with screenshots).

In the meantime, a sub-optimal workaround is going to Google and doing a search like:

site:community.klipsch.com rf-7

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...