PS4 soon to be added to my HT

Youthman

• Moderators

Before the PS4 launched, my 15yr old son said, "Dad, we should split the cost of a PS4". I agreed but we weren't in a big hurry to do so. He's a good student and gets good grades but since he entered high school this year, he has gotten a C in Algebra. With only 2 weeks left in this 9 week period, once again he had a high C. I told him if he could obtain all A's and B's this 9 weeks, I we would split the cost of the PS4. Tonight he handed me $260,00 ($200 for the PS4 and $60 for Infamous game). The PS4 will be setup in the HT and the PS3 will move into his bedroom.

Anyone else using the PS4 as their bluray player? Just curious how it compares to the PS3. The games should look much better.

ps4.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

He's a really good kid. As I've mentioned before, he keeps his room EXTREMELY tidy, everything has it's place and his Klipsch setup is in the EXACT same condition as when I bought it. He takes very good care of what he has and since he was young, we have tried not to spoil our children and typically if they want something, they either save up and pay for it themselves or we will sometimes pay 1/2. Unless it's their birthday or Christmas, I usually want them to have some investment in whatever they are wanting. I think they will be better off for it when they get out on their own.

• Like 1

Your a good dad. My dad offered to pay half for anything I wanted as long as I worked hard for the money. And he always did too. I appreciate things much more now. Sometimes a bit too much maybe. Lots of things I pay a lot for I never use cause I don't wanna get it dirty or break it or something lol

• Moderators

Thx Scrappy. I try to be. I'm a big fan of Dave Ramsey and teaching our children to work hard, save up and pay cash for the things you want to buy. Hopefully they will not fall into the money pitfalls we fell into over the years. Took a long time to dig out of the hole we had been digging for so many years. :D

• Like 1

These new PS 4 and Xbox are truly nice games. They can do so many things. I can see why some people choose them over BDP. I better stick to the WII: I am not very good with some of the new fast games. You son sounds like a good young man, be proud! We never gave our kids anything for good grades. They got them for the sake of doing it and found a bit of character and pride attached.

I know from school the classes that I cherished were not the A or B, it was the ones that I really struggled with and passed that gave me a good feeling of accomplishment. :)

Edited by derrickdj1

I use a ps4 on the 70" elite downmarsirs. It's a nice running system. :) I use the oppo in the theater though. I don’t play many video games though. I did want to try the dying light which looks pretty neat but the only video game I play Is or was Diablo 2 and now Diablo 3 with the recent expansion I picked up Monday. Don’t have any games for the PS4

Edited by MichaelandKlipsch

• Moderators

I don't see much change. The 4 seems as fast or a bit faster. Pq seems about the same. I only watched one movie so keep that in mind.

I don't expect this to be a DVD to Bluray like comparison. I'm actually not even expecting any improvement over video or sound. I do enjoy playing games occasionally and I no longer use the PS3 for media storage. From what I can see online, the PS4 is a MUCH more powerful machine meaning game developers will be able to do so much more with future games than were ever thought possible with the PS3.

The first batch of games look noticeably better visually, but the games due in the fall should be markedly better and will look fantastic on your screen!

I have been debating upgrading from my PS3, but I use the PlayStation as my media center and from everything I've read the PS4 still doesn't support CD playback or MP3/4s, which are features I still use regularly. Sony has promised the features in a future firmware update so it should hopefully be added soon.

• Moderators
The first batch of games look noticeably better visually, but the games due in the fall should be markedly better and will look fantastic on your screen!

That's what I was thinking too. The PS4 console has much more capability than the PS3 so developers will be able to take games to a level they could not with the PS3. Pretty exciting stuff.

I have been debating upgrading from my PS3, but I use the PlayStation as my media center and from everything I've read the PS4 still doesn't support CD playback or MP3/4s, which are features I still use regularly. Sony has promised the features in a future firmware update so it should hopefully be added soon.

I did read that too. From what I can tell, the PS3 was designed to be sort of an all-purpose media system (gaming, music, photos, internet etc). I believe the PS4 is primarily directed towards gaming. I used to rip CD's to the PS3 but since I bought the AppleTV, I now stream my music directly from my iPhone through the system and since doing that, I have not played a single mp3 from the PS3. Absolutely LOVE the Airplay ability with both my HT and 2ch setup. With the 2ch, I use the Airport Express since I do not need video in that setup.

Amazing, same situation here. My friends have PS and we don't. When we have get-togethers, my son would play with the rest of the kids on the PS. One day my son said, "dad, why can't we have a PS?". Well first of all the console is expensive and so does the games - I can't make it too easy for him... :)

So, I too made an arrangement with him. If he gets a final grade of A in math, we "probably" can get one. He said, "dad, what if I get an A-", I said we'll then your mom will have the final words.

As of last chapter test, he's doing A-. I kept on reminding him he'll need to do better. They only have two more chapters left before the final exam. And to be honest, if he makes an A- on final grade, we're getting one...but don't tell him that :)