Disaster with CJ Premier 17LS!! What happened??

JoshT

Last night I had my CJ Premier 17LS set on "epl2" (theater loop) and I was watching TV. I then decided to play a CD, so I hit the epl2 botton on the remote which changes the preamp to Source. BOOM!!! -- I heard a very load pop, more like a boom, through my left and right speakers (KLF20s). And when this happened, (1) the volume on the CJ was set at "1" on both channles (the lowest level) and (2) the CD player was on the "stop" setting. The power amp is a CJ MF2250, so I'm sure there is no impedence compatibility issue.

I believe my LF20s have been blown. When I try to play a CD, or DVD, or the TV, or an LP, the speakers crackle. Also, the volume is much lower on the Left and Right channels (the gain seems to have decreased radically), so I think the CJ is roached!

What could have happened? Could a faulty tube have caused this? There is no way any other component could be implicated, and I'm sure I did nothing wrong. (there was no thunder storm or anything and nothing else in my apartment was affected).

I am outraged and don't know what to do. I'll call the dealer now, but would like to know your thoughts. If the CJ's malfunction ruined my speakers, I want the dealer, or CJ, to pay for their repair.

Thanks!

Sorry to hear that! I don't know what caused the problem, but I would also contact CJ Customer Support too. Your unfortunate mishap does concern me, as I have a CJ PV14L and just posted of my future plans to incorporate the unit into my HT set-up. Will be interested in how, why and resolution to this occurrence.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

quote:

Originally posted by JoshT:

I am outraged and don't know what to do. I'll call the dealer now, but would like to know your thoughts. If the CJ's malfunction ruined my speakers, I want the dealer, or CJ, to pay for their repair.

They should pay. You were not abusing anything, so no fault on your part.

Let us know what they say.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for your thoughts. Here is an update:

I emailed CJ yesterday, and a service rep, Jeff, already called me today. His initial recommendations for me are as follows:

1. Test the KLF 20s to see if they are in fact blown by hooking them up to the Rotel amp. He suspects they may be fine.

2. Check the rail fuses on the MF2250 power amp, which are customer accessible on the back of the unit. He suspects they have blown and are causing the speakers to sound as though they were blown.

3. Check the 17LS for any harm/malfunction.

4. Figure out what happened to try to avoid a repeat.

A service tech from Spearit Sound, my dealer in Brookline, MA, is coming by my apartment tomorrow -- nice service. So I'll see what he finds and report to you.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I'll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Interim Update:

The service tech from Spearit Sound came by on Friday morning of last week.

Two of the four rail fuses were toasted on the MF2250. Once replaced, the KLF 20s sounded absolutely fine. I've played them a lot at quite loud volumes and they sound as wonderful as ever, so they were not damaged.

The CJ Premier 17 is now down in Virginia being checked out by CJ, but Spearit could find nothing wrong with it. Hmmmm? Apparently it was the culprit in blowing the power amp's fuses.

I must say that my new Rotel pre/pro sounds pretty fantastic as the preamp. Pretty darn close to the CJ (which cost about 3 times as much), though not quite as sweet and full. This is a hobby of subtleties sometimes.

I'll let you know what, if anything, CJ finds out about the preamp.