Cutting bevels or angles on table saws

The Dude

Maybe some more info, my table saw is a left tilt saw, so it tilts away from the fence. My piece is 37.5" long, on the left side it needs to be 59 degrees and the right side it needs to be 31 degrees. Kind of like a miter cut just not 45 degrees.

Is there a cabinet shop nearby you could pay to do it?

I have a couple of buddies who could and would probably help me, which I will use in last resort.

If you are cutting a bevel, just tilt the blade.

If you are cross cutting at an angle, you may want to make a Jig.

Dave

When I tilt the blade and it tilts away, do I need to cut on the left side of the blade as opposed to cutting on the right side how I normally do.

If you have friends with more experience with a table saw I would strongly suggest using them, Bevel cuts on a table saw tend to bind easily making kickback an issue and you could easily get hurt

Go ahead ask me how I Know :(

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 1

easiest way is to use a sliding miter saw that has the feature for bevel cuts...perhaps you could rent one at local homedepot tool rental

another easy way to cut as normal and then run the sections thru a router table equipped with the correct bevel angle

harder but not impossible is to hand router the bevel onto the wood edge

harder yet but still not impossible is to attempt this on a table saw with no jig

To make it easy on yourself buy, rent or borrow a circular saw that can cut your angle, they are out there or will get close enough to get you through, 1 or 2 degrees can be filled with PL and never be noticed,

Clamp a factory plywood edge on your panel to use as a straightedge & guide.

If i was cutting only a few panels this is what i would do instead of making a jig or whatever.

Something like this will get you by safely.

• Like 1

The problem is the 59 degree cut, most saws only cut 45's.

I would cut the 59 first, more chance to make a mistake, leave your panel wide in case you mess up so you're not wasting stock. The 31 degree cut is an easy one.

There are saws that cut steeper angles but they may be more expensive.

These worm drives last forever.

I would cut the 59 first, more chance to make a mistake, leave your panel wide in case you mess up so you're not wasting stock. The 31 degree cut is an easy one.

If you cut 31 on the left side with a miter gauge, you get the 59 degree cut.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Explain, I'm not following you here.

I think what he means is if you flip the stock over so the back is up and run a 31 degree cut, when you flip it over you have a 59.

If the blade tilts to the left, then I think of that side of the table as 0 degrees. From there to the blade I could do anything above 45 degrees. I will add a pick of the panel I am trying to cut to the Jamboree build in my sig, in a min.

Edited by duder1982

Ok I can cut anything between 45 degrees and 90 degrees on the left side, just need to figure out a jig, the table on the left would be my 0 degree then to the blade up to 90 degree. As for the smaller degree, actually 31 not 39. I would have to run it on its side and look at the blade as 0 degree to 90 degree from right to left.

Edited by duder1982

I think what he means is if you flip the stock over so the back is up and run a 31 degree cut, when you flip it over you have a 59.

OK i get it, running a cut like that freehand is asking for binding & kickback unless you make a jig for it.