Cutting bevels or angles on table saws

The Dude

The problem is the 59 degree cut, most saws only cut 45's.

I would cut the 59 first, more chance to make a mistake, leave your panel wide in case you mess up so you're not wasting stock. The 31 degree cut is an easy one.

There are saws that cut steeper angles but they may be more expensive.

These worm drives last forever.

If you cut 31 on the left side with a miter gauge, you get the 59 degree cut.

Explain, I'm not following you here.

I think what he means is if you flip the stock over so the back is up and run a 31 degree cut, when you flip it over you have a 59.

OK i get it, running a cut like that freehand is asking for binding & kickback unless you make a jig for it.

Not freehand. Use the fence for both cuts. You simply make a 31 degree cut and flip the board over and send it through again on the other side. Now you have a 31 on one side and 59 on the other.

Wait, I just realized, the opposing 59 degree cut would have to be made with the board on it's side (standing on it's edge). That would be impossible using a fence because the saw blade would cut into it and it would definitely be dangerous!

Edited by mustang guy

I would cut the 59 first, more chance to make a mistake, leave your panel wide in case you mess up so you're not wasting stock. The 31 degree cut is an easy one.

I think what he means is if you flip the stock over so the back is up and run a 31 degree cut, when you flip it over you have a 59.

OK i get it, running a cut like that freehand is asking for binding & kickback unless you make a jig for it.

Not freehand. Use the fence for both cuts. You simply make a 31 degree cut and flip the board over and send it through again on the other side. Now you have a 31 on one side and 59 on the other.

Once the blade has cut the the angle on the sheet there's nothing holding up the panel past the blade thus making it susceptible to binding not to mention keeping your cut straight.

I see what you're saying but unless your sheet is attached to a jig of some sort its asking for trouble.

It cab be done i guess but there have been better/safer alternatives mentioned.

Yes a jig would be needed. You can't push the cut freehand and the fence is on the wrong side. If you can get the right stock to fit the table t-slot you can make one cheap and quick.

Alternatively if you take a piece of plywood and set the bevel at 31 degrees (or whatever the angle) and run the piece thru, the scrap, if flipped end on end lengthwise would have the 59 degree cut (or the difference between your first angle and 90). Right?

Well turns out I have been over thinking this. All I had to do was subtract the 59 from 90 which is 31. So I set my blade to 31 degrees tilt, then I just had to move my fence closer to cut the angle, I just inched in a 1/16" at time to get it perfect. Then on the 31, like Jason said use my circular saw and flip the board over. Now all panels are cut, everything is moving along. Thanks for everyones help, I have learned something in this last little process.

Well turns out I have been over thinking this. All I had to do was subtract the 59 from 90 which is 31. So I set my blade to 31 degrees tilt, then I just had to move my fence closer to cut the angle, I just inched in a 1/16" at time to get it perfect. Then on the 31, like Jason said use my circular saw and flip the board over. Now all panels are cut, everything is moving along. Thanks for everyones help, I have learned something in this last little process.

Thank you duder! I was about to loose whats left of my mind reading this. 0222 in the morning and I could not figure out why a little board flipping and creative cutting would not get you into the fix ya wanted.

Glad you got there.

John

To get the 31 deg cut using 31 degree tilt, you had to have the board standing on it's edge. The 59 degree cut was the easy one, which you can make from the board laying flat.

One thing to remember isn't necessarily the angle of the blade, because at 0 degree, it is actually a 90 deg cut. It's what you are left with. To be left with 31 degrees, you would need to tilt your blade 59 degrees, or turn the board up on edge so you are starting at 0 degrees and cutting an actual 31 degrees. That is why I liked Jason's jig.

It took me a while to wrap my head around this.

Edited by mustang guy