Need RF7s to sound better w Marantz 8801

dachuckster

I have posted this in the avs site but not much for a response.

My system is in my sig....

Listening to movies, especially Blu Rays, sound phenomenal. However, listeing to CDs and even phono albums lack punch. Music concerts on Blu Rays are incredible, as is Pink Floyds DSOM on SACD, but regular 2 ch music not so much.

I have run Auddysey XT32 on the '8801, and I know the sub does not go on in 2 ch. I have tried using pure mode as well, but I cant really tell much of a difference. After running XT, it did set the mains to large.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated!

Listening to movies, especially Blu Rays, sound phenomenal.
Music concerts on Blu Rays are incredible, as is Pink Floyds DSOM on SACD, but regular 2 ch music not so much.

Makes sense if your 8801 is doing the decoding and D/A conversion.

However, listeing to CDs lack punch

Send a digital stream from your CD player to your 8801 and let 8801 do the D/A converting also.

even phono albums lack punch

Maybe the phono preamp is not up to snuff.

Bill

The OP post statement is very vague. Is it the bass, is the treble not right, poor imaging. All the above post offer great suggestions but, give us a better Ideal of what is the exact problem . Setting the speakers to small and using the sub is also an option. My RF 7's sound great set to Large but, I have alway went back to the Small setting with the sub/s for the low end. I guess I like 2.x. :)

I believe the sub is not going on due to the Audyssey being activated. I looked in settings on the 8801 but couldnt find a way to get the sub going in 2 ch mode.

I have an Oppo BDP 93 Blu Ray player that I use for CD playback, but I also have a Sony 400 disc jukebox. I do have a large room, but I am powering my system with an Outlaw 200 WPC amp. I have tried using analog connections from the Oppo to the 8801 but that sounded even worse than the HDMI connections. The HDMI provided more punch, but still not as filling as what I would expect.

I will try to get a photo uploaded here soon to show the layout. I know that has an impact too.

Does your 8801's Audyssey MultEQ XT32 allow for two different settings, multichannel and stereo? If not leave Audyssey as is for HT and as suggested, use a manual setting for 2-channel music, maybe internally boosting the trim about 4dB+. My NAD T175HD has three different settings for EQ'ing, Audyssey, Flat, and NAD curves. I use the standard Audyssey curve for HT and the NAD curve for music. There is a audible difference.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
Guys, I just purchased the 8801 and have a question. Can you set your speaker decibal settings to be different for the input mode you are listening on? I am listening to an external DAC via Sonos via the media player input on the 8801. I ran through the setup and mic test and the speakers are set for movie watching, but when I want to listen to music, I can turn the volume all the way up and it's not at the volume that my amps can push the speakers. Running Mcintosh MC 7270 for the rear 2010 La Scala's. Running Mac MC402 for Jubilee TAD top horn 4002 drivers and Crown K2 for the jube bass bins.