Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
JoeH

Surround Placement

Recommended Posts

I am setting up my new system which consists of 2 RF82s as the mains and a RC-35 as the center. For surrounds I have a pair of RB-35s and a pair of RS-35s. My question is should the dipole RS-35s be used for the side surrounds or the back surrounds?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums, Joe.

I'd use the RS as Surround & the RB as Surround Back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums, Joe.

I'd use the RS as Surround & the RB as Surround Back.

+1 With the rear channel being mono (most of the time) you are ambient enough. Also, directivity is more apparent from the sides than the rear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums, Joe.

I'd use the RS as Surround & the RB as Surround Back.

+1 With the rear channel being mono (most of the time) you are ambient enough. Also, directivity is more apparent from the sides than the rear.
surround 7.1 is a mono rear surround track?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums, Joe.

I'd use the RS as Surround & the RB as Surround Back.

+1 With the rear channel being mono (most of the time) you are ambient enough. Also, directivity is more apparent from the sides than the rear.
surround 7.1 is a mono rear surround track?

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums, Joe.

I'd use the RS as Surround & the RB as Surround Back.

+1 With the rear channel being mono (most of the time) you are ambient enough. Also, directivity is more apparent from the sides than the rear.
surround 7.1 is a mono rear surround track?

Yes.
i don't get it. 6.1 is a mono surround track I thought. Do you have a link somewhere that I could read up on 7.1 not being actually 7 discrete channels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, I went back and checked this out. Movie theaters have had 6.1 format and up to 13 additional filler (virtual) channels for quite some time now. Dolby Digital held to that format for backward compatibility reasons. Now with Dolby Digital Plus, the rear channels CAN be discreet so long as the recording is Blu-ray, and in fact that platform can support up to 16 discreet channels. If you play a DD+ movie on a 5.1 system, the left surround channels are melded together and the right channels are also melded together. If you play a 7.1 DD+ movie on a 6.1 system, the rear channels are melded together.

What all this means is that indeed the rear channels can be mastered separately, rather than the dual mono that was the standard up until DD+ and it's ilk.

I see the future is well defined now. There will not only be more discreet channels added in the future, but there will also be more filler channels like ceilings, above the screen, and maybe some day even the floor. For guys like us who KNOW that more is better, that is very cool indeed!

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think only like 5% of all bluray discs have 7.1 soundtracks right now.

Depends on the type of movie. If you look at the kind that could use 7.1 that % goes way up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah, obviously the format can easily support 7.1 discrete. All I was saying is that right now only 5% of all blurays actually have 7.1 discrete recordings. Most are still just 5 or 6.1. I wonder if 7.1 will every really take off or if something like 11.2 will be the new thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another vote to use as side surrounds. Since the rs-35s are dipole they will create a null zone in front of them. If you sit in the null zone it will sound fantastic for movies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
or 6.1
last 6.1 anything i have seen was a dvd copy of triple "x" when i was like 17. id 75% of the blu rays i own are 5.1 and the other 25% (newer action flicks and pixar usually) are 7.1 tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good thread along with the other surround placement thread/s. I am doing more and more testing with angles and placements current in particular is back, rear placement with 2 kg4.5's on the upper wall facing directly at each other on left , right walls. Then with some dcm2ways short floor standers w 6.5 and silk tweeter just below the kg4.5's facing inward(approx 45 degree angle) both amplified with seperate crown xls1000's. I still have both pro heresys and h3's in the back very center stacked atop a marble center speaker stand i use for the thx theater standard setting.

I am finding this kg4.5,dcm crown rear back setting very good with movies and music(music very occasional, musics for 2 ch).

Regardless when using large watt amplifiers in center channel to surrounds i find so much more detail and just simple use out of them this way to say the least..cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
or 6.1
last 6.1 anything i have seen was a dvd copy of triple "x" when i was like 17. id 75% of the blu rays i own are 5.1 and the other 25% (newer action flicks and pixar usually) are 7.1 tracks.

Star Wars is 6.1 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...