Hey stock guys...(chart readers)

Coytee

This is for fun to get different opinions.

This is something I've been keeping track of for almost two years now. You will notice every now & then a straight horizontal line... just several days where I forgot to chart it.

By & large, I have datapoints for each day. Again, this is about two years worth of data.

No name & no info. Just a picture.

What say you?

If you have any thoughts, please expand on your reasoning. Again, this isn't an inquisition, but for fun to see what the thoughts are with zero information given to you.

Buy it now? why?

Sell it now? why?

Short it now? why?

Margin it for your retired grandmother in the nursing home? why?

post-12967-0-16280000-1396086685_thumb.j

• Like 1

The issue is too near the last bottom to sell now, unless you are still in the money. Wait until you can see if last bottom holds and, if holds and company/entity fundamental are the same, you may want to buy. Only buy if last bottoms holds over time. If the support is broken, you would be able to buy in lower of course. Overall it looks strong in the past as witnessed by the round top over time now coming to past low. Any technical analysis can of course be overcome and change by news events, product developments, etc.

Hold ,buy, or sell based upon inititial strategy, or fundamental changes, of course.

IMLO...Good Fortune

I see the "probability" of testing that bottom very realistic based on the fact there is little upward trend.

I also think the standard deviation is relatively high... variance is ruling this chart.

this is just based on a most basic view of the chart... without additional data, it's difficult to render a decision.

sample size is small also... making any probability forecast nearly impossible.

looks like you've lost 8.5-9% of whatever it is we are tracking in 650 sessions and the greatest upward trend has been about 15-16% in the +EV area making it a 22-25% SD.

I am speaking in terms of Game Theory only.

Edited by Schu

this is just based on a most basic view of the chart... without additional data, it's difficult to render a decision.

Understood on the lack of data comment. Frankly, it's all the data I have so it's what we have to work with. (no comments yet as to why)

Here's some more tidbits

No dividends

I'd say as long as the economy doesn't go kaput (cough), it would be financially stable.

Doesn't trade options, so no covered call writing.

• 3 months later...

What are the units?

Does past behavior ever dictate future expectations?

I wish I saw this one sooner since the cat is outta the bag, but I find it interesting anyone tries to find meaning in the stock market charts like this...

I personally use way different criteria for investing.

Edited by DrWho

I never liked charting. I was in a group of guys (12) and we were all in the market and some of them

were charting. They never even came close to actual events. This was back in the days when Merril Lynch was giving

out advice ---We would call the broker and ask "What's hot?" And they would give us something to bite on even though we knew they

screwed their pants on in the morning. Of course that can be said for any method.

JJK

Edited by JJKIZAK

• 4 years later...

For the couple that responded (Deneen's were deleted!) 

I thought I clarified what was going on here and I guess I didn't (as I review it)

This is/was a chart of my weight.  Done on a daily basis  There are several times where I'd forget to chart for a couple days so it would be flat.

This is why I made the comment early on that I was "all in" since I had to deal with it.

I got away from weighing myself every day but knew things were improving.  Weighed last week and it said about 180 so that's good. (it had gotten as low as 129 from the highs you see there so reworded, I've gone from 185 down to 129 to now, 180.

It's taken a couple years to get it back on.

Side story that I've told before but seems fun to again mention here....  my wife does the shopping.  She'll come home with some shirts, socks....

One day she came home with a couple pair of blue jeans....said for me to try them on.  Fit fine, one pair might have been a bit long.  She tossed me another pair and said "try these".  I put them on and they were a nice fit.

It was then that I stopped .....  turned to look at her and said "These are YOURS, aren't they???"  She smiled & laughed.

They were.  I had made a wise-crack months earlier that with the loss of weight, I could probably wear her pants and now she proved it.

(is there no dignity left in this world!!??)

:wacko:

• Haha 1

Having been an early response do recall your mentioning at the time what the chart was about.

For sake of interest, when losing weight, never use the D word, and stay away from scales.

As always, take my take with salt shaker,etc...

<---  loves salt

In fact, I would probably salt, a salt lick before licking it.

I had thought I'd clarified but don't see it.  Maybe when Deneen's comments got deleted, some of mine did.

Generally speaking the population clearly (from what I observe) needs to be more cognizant of weight/health issues. Since all that most of us have to monitor weight is a ‘scale’ the data represented here is understandable but far too limited to be of much value. I learned that any graphic data representation should be able to stand alone. That means with the graph and it’s title the purpose and information therein should be understandable. Other than the intrigue this info isn’t very useful. Personal, yes........ because you know the back story that rendered these results. Was it simply dietary intake? Was it pathological? Was the weight fluctuation related to multiple variables? Have you gotten the best lifestyle figured out now? Anyway, thanks for posting the thread. Everyone should be as concerned with their health.

Not that you were asking per se', but my weight was fluctuating....  had some intestinal issues....  didn't know what was going on.  Saw a Gastro-Doc....  diagnosed with Crohn's.  I was 180+ when it started....  dropped 20 lbs, gained them back, dropped them.... (before I saw doc).  Saw doc around 170 lbs and he started poking/prodding.  Diagnosed me.  

Moved back to TN, introduced myself to local Gastro since I knew I'd have a flairup.....  visited him around 165 lbs.  Six months later, went back near crawling on my knees....  had dropped to 145/140 (forget).  He said I was out of his league, referred me to Vanderbilt who couldn't see me for three months.  By the time I got to them I was 129 pounds.

Just had another colonoscopy this past Tuesday.....  she declared that I'm finally in remission after her working on this for around four years.

Today, I can't wear my wife's pants.

Too bad....  looked damn good in them!!  HA!

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

Not that you were asking per se', but my weight was fluctuating....  had some intestinal issues....  didn't know what was going on.  Saw a Gastro-Doc....  diagnosed with Crohn's.  I was 180+ when it started....  dropped 20 lbs, gained them back, dropped them.... (before I saw doc).  Saw doc around 170 lbs and he started poking/prodding.  Diagnosed me.  

Moved back to TN, introduced myself to local Gastro since I knew I'd have a flairup.....  visited him around 165 lbs.  Six months later, went back near crawling on my knees....  had dropped to 145/140 (forget).  He said I was out of his league, referred me to Vanderbilt who couldn't see me for three months.  By the time I got to them I was 129 pounds.

Just had another colonoscopy this past Tuesday.....  she declared that I'm finally in remission after her working on this for around four years.

Didn't know you had Crohn's.  It's pretty rough.  Hope you stay in remission.

And by the way, I originally thought the chart was for some kind of stock price or index.  I bet that's what you intended to make us believe.  Either way, you can't determine anything concerning future projections based on it.  It is an exercise in futility to try.

Dang, that explains a lot. Recall now somewhat more. Several years ago and many pounds later, got down to 149 after aerobics.Running, biking,etc. After

that, lf started feeding me more carbs and got back to my cruising weight over time. Was over 200+ yet, my 6 foot frame could carry it.

Hanging out around that 195-205 region of late. Sis in law calls me skinny and is trying to feed me now. So, working to maintain. Maybe now you will do much better.

BTW, my runner legs gets me whistles at times, even now. Advise to take pics now, for that time when sitting around the fireplace hoot ... thanks.

Yeah, it was intentionally misleading.... as I recall, Deneen's advise was essentially "dump that junk" which made me giggle.

It was supposed to be "fun" but since it was misleading, I realized someone might get their panties in a wad so decided to tell the Rest of the Story.

On the stock side...  I once had a Statistics professor in college.  He would use examples to illustrate.  One of them was "we're trying to figure out the defective rate of our Widgets.....  GOD knows it might be .403840%but we don't so we use statistics to make our guess.

Along that line, as the market goes down, "God Knows" the value that it will never (in the future) go below.....therefore, the more it goes down, the closer we are to this (unknown) value that it will never go below.....therefore, the more excited one should be about jumping in.  (which is about totally opposite of what happens during bleak times)

So with my chart falling....  getting closer to a number it would "never" go below (hopefully that was the 129) the more one should be interested in picking up some shares.  Since it's my body/life I'm talking about, I certainly had that vested interest in "buying more shares" as the weight went down....  now that it's back to 180, that positive attitude has paid off.

or something like that.

2 hours ago, Coytee said:

Bummer that.   In the 80’s I dealt with a bout of irritable bowel syndrome and lost 25 pounds in short order. It makes little difference how well the clothes fit if you don’t feel well. Glad to hear that you’re under control. I think I read where fecal transplants can help with Crohns. Is that true?