Spikes

willland

I, for the first time since I got my RF-63's in May 2008, decided to put the spikes on them. Not only did it lift the 63's up an inch or so closer to the height of my RC-64, I am observing a bit of tighter midbass/midrange.

The question is, am I imagining an improvement or is it legitimate? I really only did it because I was looking through my drawer that contains all my audio junk(speaker wire, cables, etc.) and saw the ziplock bag of spikes. My first thought was, hey I can raise the 63's up closer in line to my 64. It really did not enter my mind that I would hear noticeable improvements.

What does the panel say?

Bill

Edited by willland

I, for the first time since I got my RF-63's in May 2008, decided to put the spikes on them. Not only did it lift the 63's up an inch or so closer to the height of my RC-64, I am observing a bit of tighter midbass/midrange.

The question is, am I imagining an improvement or is it legitimate? I really only did it because I was looking through my drawer that contains all my audio junk(speaker wire, cables, etc. and saw the ziplock bag of spikes. My first thought was, hey I can raise the 63's up closer in line to my 64. It really did not enter my mind that I would hear noticeable improvements.

What does the panel say?

Bill

Bill,

it is legit!! Put spikes on your sub on that carpet!!

Roger

I spike my speakers and my subs. I have a carpeted floor over a full basement. I've gone back and forth so many times to compare and it absolutely makes an improvement in tightening up the bass and in return makes the mids-highs sound more crisp.

I've also experimented with different sized spikes and that gave different results. I found that the spikes have to be tall enough so that there should be a 1/2 to 3/4" gap from bottom of cabinet to top of carpet. If the cabinet was flush (touching) the carpet I didn't hear any improvement. In my experience, that clearance made all the difference.

I don't know about speaker spikes but, my subs definetly sound better with the DYI sub risers. They can be made in about 1 1/2 hour. When I had the RF 7's on a wood floor I eventually put them on thick rubber mats to improve the sound. It makes sense because the speaker normal feet on wood floors vibrate to some extent.

Edited by derrickdj1