Definitive Technology Mythos ST vs. RF-83

philly0116

Think you are right; about the listening part.

But, where will he find those Def Techs AND RF-83s to listen to?

I already own the RF-83's and I just went ahead and bought the Def Tech Mythos ST and the Mythos Ten. Side by side comparisons are currently on going.

Think you are right; about the listening part.

But, where will he find those Def Techs AND RF-83s to listen to?

I already own the RF-83's and I just went ahead and bought the Def Tech Mythos ST and the Mythos Ten. Side by side comparisons are currently on going.

Thank you; look forward to your evaluation!

didnt realize you already owned the 82's.

wow, those sure do look nice, curious to know if you think they sound as nice as they look??? hopefully you have goood power to test them. a common misconception i have found with comparing klipsch to other speakers is that klipsch's high efficiency rating will fool you into thinking they are "better" or "louder" than other brands when doing a true A-B comparison. example: when i got my used fortes recently i hooked them to teh B channnel of my receiver, had def tech bp 7006 on the A ch. i played them for a few friends & they all said "the klipsch are way better" (& granted the fortes are overall "better" IMO than the small little 7006's) but when switching from A to B at the same volume level, the high efficiency of the klipsch gave the impression they were louder because technically they were. however, when turning the volume up a bit to match the DB of the klipsch it was a whole new ballgame, the def techs sounded pretty much as good if not a little better in some ways than the fortes. not as bright & a much smoother high freq & more room filling soundstage, they didnt have the small limited "sweet spot" that most direct radiating speakers can have.

bottom line, compare the speakers at equal Db levels so the higher efficiency doesnt fool you to thinking one is "better" than the other. & yes i agree the high efficiency is an atttribute to klipsch speakers... but if you have the power, other speakers can be driven to the same DB level & then a fair comparison of sound can be made.

just saw your for sale ad, think its safe to assume what you decided on the comparison. like i said ive only heard the mythos in the store 1 time & they werent this model number. comparing any speaker to klipsch can be tough, especially if you like or are used to the sound of klipsch. i love my klipschs & my def techs, they are not apples to apples so each one has its strong points. if i had to choose one, i would pick klipsch too.

still curious to hear your reviews of the 2....

• 3 weeks later...

After listening to them side by side I stuck with the RF-83's. I tested them both on a B&K ST-202, rated at 150wpc and a B&K PT3 Series 2 Preamp. First off, there was an obvious difference in the sensitivity values. The def techs at 93db and the 83's at 100db. The B&K didn't struggle with the Mythos but it did take more to open them up. Also, the bass to me on the 83's seemed natural, clearer and faster. It seemed like when I got the Mythos built in subs adjusted to what I thought was my liking the bass was muddy, not as fast. I will say this though, the Mythos had a hell of a sound stage, sound everywhere. When I backed down the bass on the Mythos and ran them with my other sub they sounded quite nice and smooth but not, to me anyway, as good as the 83's. Please note I am no pro, this is just my assessment and it may be slightly bias due to the fact I have been listening to "horn" speakers for so long as opposed to "tweeter" speakers. The Mythos are built like tanks though. Extremely solid and well constructed. Even the guy that came to buy the Mythos when I decided to sell them listened to the 83's and was really trying to talk me into selling them to him instead. He felt like the 83's were the better sounding speaker too.

cool, thanks for the review. the efficiency thing was what i was mentioning earlier, it can fool you into thinking the higher one is better simply because its "louder," but when raising the volume a bit its more equal of a comparison. however, if you felt the 83's sounded better thats all that matters. sound is all about preferance. & maybe you arent really biased, you are just adjusted & used to the klipsch sound. & thats fine.

the soundstage of the deftechs is very good as you stated, imagine what the bipolar series can do. i agree, i like & prefer my heritage klipsch sound better if i had to choose & the direct radiator bass usually sounds better, but the def techs soundstage really cant be beat. close your eyes & its like you are in a much bigger room listening to much bigger speakers. & for movies that is a very nice sensation.

chalk one up for klipsch!

• 2 weeks later...