KLF20's and Gorilla Glue

Flason

So I found a pair of 20's off Craigslist around a year ago for $200. Had to meet at a neutral spot, dude was moving, blah blah. So through away good judgement and about $200 I went ahead and purchased them. To say they was then an understatement but as it turns out, was a HUGE understatement. Both front and back panels needed to be re-glued. So I took out the drivers and went ahead and did it. I definitely shortcutted the heck out of it cause I laid down a bead of gorilla glue all around the speaker. On the positive side, they don't rattle anymore. The negative side is that even though I removed most of the excess expanded glue, there is still residue on the speaker. Not so worried about the backs but it does look crappy on the front. For the most part the grill will remain on but for those times I remove the grill, is there anything that will remove the excess caught in the cracks? For $200 I can live with it but if there are any simple fixes, suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Once dried, the only thing I've done with that type of glue is to scrape it away. You might be able to to use a sharp object to remove most of it but you will still have residue.

You might be able to remove most of it without damaging the finish too much with a scraper or a light sanding.

• Like 1

try a razor blade, might be able to just get under the glue bead without damaging the wood finish itself.

gorilla glue is an excellent glue & expands into the areas normal adhesives wont go, glad it fixed the rattle for you. i am curious though, why did you do it on the outside? you could have got to 80-90% of the front board from the inside & 100% of the rear board. should have accomplised the same thing & not been visible.

Klipschfascf4- I did pull the whole motorboard, front and back and laid the bead on the inside. It wasn't a huge bead but I put 2 55lb dumbells in lieu of a vice. So as the glue expanded and there was 110lbs on top of it, it's the glue went both inside and outside the cabinet.

I also used rustoleum 7777 on the tops and they look good. Again, not perfect but pretty darn good for $200 speakers.

Edroom- I have had the 30's before and loved them but sold them after I picked up a pair of pristeen Cornwall II's. I've pretty much owned the entire heritage line as well as many others. Still own a pair of '82 LaScalas and '09 Klipschorns. I will put the 20's to a listening test this weekend so I will keep you updated.

Thanks all for the hints. I will try to scape off as much as I can but do feel they did turn out nice for the price I paid.

gotcha. so what came out the fronts & backs was just what expanded out. if it looks like i picture, i bet the razor blade will cut the majority of it free. can you post a pic?

i recently repaired a set of forte size MTX speakers, they were on a shelf about 4ft high & while playing at very loud levels one vibrated off & hit the ground. broke at the top miter corners & the side panel came completely off. these are a tounge & groove type & i used gorilla glue in the groove then reassembled them & used a couple drywalll screws to hold it all together while it dried. had the same thing happen as yours, it expanded out the seams & made a small rounded bead in those areas. the razor blade worked great to carefully cut the beads off. one thing for sure is the cabinets are now stronger than they ever were & zero vibrations or buzzes.

you might need to touch up with paint to cover the residue left behind. i have found krylon satin black is an excellet match for the motorboards of klipsch speakers & very close to the black woodgrain finish they use. rustoleum paints are great for metals but the sheen doesnt seem to be a good match for woods.

• 2 weeks later...

That's the reason I don't use gorilla glue. At least with PL Premium, you can normally cut the excess off. Gorilla glue sets too hard for that. It almost turns into a hard plastic. If I have a project that needs glue and there's no chance of it ever being seen, I'll use it, just to help use up the bottle I have. Anything that's close to the exterior or will be visible gets wood glue or PL premium.