good amp with my Lascala &McIntosh

HI I am new and wanted advice on some good match with : klipsch Lascala and a McIntosh mx-114 tuner pre amp i do have a dynaco vta st 120 [ 60 wpc] Tube amp and it does sound excellent but... I do miss the dynamics of a more powerfull S.S. amp {my Lascala have the AA x-over ] any ideas ?thank you in advance :)

Welcome to the forum!

I have both tube amps and SS amps connected to my LaScalas. They are switched using a Niles SPK-1. It's great, because I sometimes I like to listed to pure tubes in stereo mode (only the front two), and other times, I want to use my HT, and all 6 of my LaScalas. The amp I use for SS is the Integra DTA-70.1.

I highly recommend this type of switching. You get the both of both worlds. As for amps, I am sure many will chime in with great stereo amps. As for S/N ration, I think Anthem is hard to beat, but I have never owned one.

Welcome to the forum!

I have both tube amps and SS amps connected to my LaScalas. They are switched using a Niles SPK-1. It's great, because I sometimes I like to listed to pure tubes in stereo mode (only the front two), and other times, I want to use my HT, and all 6 of my LaScalas. The amp I use for SS is the Integra DTA-70.1.

I highly recommend this type of switching. You get the both of both worlds. As for amps, I am sure many will chime in with great stereo amps. As for S/N ration, I think Anthem is hard to beat, but I have never owned one.

Would that work for one preamp use? Like a HT receiver already using the pre outs to an external SS amp for HT. Then some how run a tube amp would be nice too using the same HT preamp.

Welcome Scottlowe58 hope I'm not intruding I was wondering the same thing, but my situation maybe a little different.

Welcome to the forum!

Would that work for one preamp use? Like a HT receiver already using the pre outs to an external SS amp for HT. Then some how run a tube amp would be nice too using the same HT preamp.

Welcome Scottlowe58 hope I'm not intruding I was wondering the same thing, but my situation maybe a little different.

The SPK-1 or something that switches between the amps and speaker pair is a must.

You would also need a source selector for between the preamp and the amps. The Niles AVS-2 would work.

Last thing. You need a 12VDC power source 300mA minimum, but preferably a bit more. When power is applied on the SPK-1 and the AVS-2, the "switched" is active on both units, otherwise they cruise along in "default". If you want to have the "switched" device powered on and off (I would recommend the tube amp for this one), you can add a Niles AC-3 and plug the tube amp into one of the switched outlets.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

The SPK-1 or something that switches between the amps and speaker pair is a must.

You would also need a source selector for between the preamp and the amps. The Niles AVS-2 would work.

Last thing. You need a 12VDC power source 300mA minimum, but preferably a bit more. When power is applied on the SPK-1 and the AVS-2, the "switched" is active on both units, otherwise they cruise along in "default". If you want to have the "switched" device powered on and off (I would recommend the tube amp for this one), you can add a Niles AC-3 and plug the tube amp into one of the switched outlets.

Thanks maybe if I went full out and got another preamp, or a vintage tube receiver I could just use the spk-1. Not sure about all the switched outlet things. I wanted to research it a bit before I went that route. I like using a subwoofer as well so I still might stick with the HTreceiver as a preamp.

You could use the video port on the AVS-2 to switch the LFE from the receiver off going to the sub, and use the speaker wires from the SPK-1 to run through your high level inputs on the sub. That way you could use your current sub with your tubes.