Nothing in the box?

Yes a little bit. Most of the spots are so tiny its hard to see unless you know. I don't think you would need to re veneer. That belle would be a giant job compared to a heresy. Yours are oiled oak right. So you might be able to sand out spots and re finish them with out sanding down the whole speaker. Most likely they oiled over the oak with no stain.So matching color should not be hard. Someone here with more knowledge than me would know for sure.

minwax clear gloss polyurethane. Sprayed on with no stain.

You are a man of few words!

Are you saying you didn't sand or put any kind of finish on the original wood?

And then you sprayed how? I presume with a rattle can? And then there was no buffing after that?

I may be following in your footsteps, and I have zero experience refinishing wood, but I sure would like it if my project turned out looking like yours!

post-58280-0-60720000-1396695122_thumb.j

• Like 1

minwax clear gloss polyurethane. Sprayed on with no stain.

You are a man of few words!

Are you saying you didn't sand or put any kind of finish on the original wood?

And then you sprayed how? I presume with a rattle can? And then there was no buffing after that?

I may be following in your footsteps, and I have zero experience refinishing wood, but I sure would like it if my project turned out looking like yours!

attachicon.gifCL4-1 L side day 1.JPG

Sorry didn't realize someone wanted the rundown on what i did. But I'm glad to help.

I took all the speakers and xo out of the box. I used citrus strip (stripper) with a plastic putty knife too get the old finish off. After it dried i took some 150g sand paper and tested some of the bigger scratches to see if they would come out. I used some walnut wood filler too fill small holes and fix tiny chips. Then i used a palm sander Black & Decker RO100 5-Inch Palm Grip Random Orbit Sander with 220g to sand it down. You could use 150g here and it would go faster. The front I sanded by hand. After that i spayed some Minwax Fast Drying Polyurethane Clear Gloss on. After it dried i sanded it with 220 and re spayed. Then repeated this 5-7 times. I do recommend doing the bottom first so you only have to sand and spry the sides and top.

Your speakers look to have some big scratches. Not sure you can sand some of those out. But i bet you could get most of it out. I watched videos and read a lot of walkthroughs before i started i recommend the same.

• 4 weeks later...

I chose spray because I was worried I would leave brush marks and runs. It's a lot of coats ( almost 10) I'm going to do the rub finish soon. You have to wait weeks after your done to do this part. I have not done this part before so I'm a little nervous. I will try the bottom first. The rub will make it completely smooth like glass. And remove any tiny little dust that got in when it was drying. This is the part most people don't do and it's really the most important (they say) to getting it like a high grade finish you would find on things at the store.

• Like 1

Those look absolutely gorgeous! fantastic job! Im amazed. Thats as nice of finish iv seen on a speaker and i prefer black. Very nice!!

Wow thank you. I feel like I have seen better. But maybe that's because I know all the little mistakes I made. The walnut with high glass and no stain looks really nice I agree. If my cornwalls had walnut I would do them also (I might do the bottom of one and see how it looks and maybe do them too)