Pass F5 - Duder made me do it!

Guest David H

All is working properly, sounds great except for a low level hum that only occurs with my preamps connected - some sort of ground loop I suspect.

Alright, this hum has been bothering me, so I decided to tackle it today. The power supply board was the culprit.

It was fairly simple, I just had to re-locate the grounds in a Star grounding configuration, no more noise.

gallery_22274_95_353216.jpg

From what I can tell is you disconnected the ground from the power supply on the left side. Then connected that and the ground coming from the right side output board, to a ground lug that everything connects to right.

I am still trying to make sure I have the right idea for a star ground.

Guest David H
From what I can tell is you disconnected the ground from the power supply on the left side. Then connected that and the ground coming from the right side output board, to a ground lug that everything connects to right.

Exactly. After I figured it out I ran across DIY Audio page #1191 where someone came up with a similar but not exact solution.

This is a popular amp, to say the least.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/121228-f5-power-amplifier-1191.html

This amp is unbelievably quiet. I connected a K-77 directly to the output,- Not even a hiss.

Dave

Guest David H

GotHover,

Do you have a fuse in this build? I couldn't tell from the photo.

You don't like to live dangerously?

The fuse is part of the IEC connector.

Dave

GotHover,

Dave

Reminds of when I used to visit my retired EE friend. We were looking over a amplifier on his bench. Something needed to be swapped out and soldered. "You can see better than I, and seem to solder pretty good, go ahead and swap that out." So I grabbed the iron and a pair of pliers and started in..."Oh, lemme turn off the variac first."

"Yeah, that would be nice." "What? Are you chicken?"

Edited by mike stehr

GotHover,

Dave

FAB, Fearless amp builders, bias that puppy up as high as can, just keep fire extinguisher handy. :emotion-14:

GotHover,

Dave

Thanks - Another new thing I learned today. Out of curiosity, how many amp fuse do you need for the F5?

Guest David H

All joking aside, Nelson Pass could make a toaster sound incredible. Known as Pappa in the DIY community, he is one of the few people that assist DIYers as well as his Pass LAB's amps and preamps business.

Best regards,

John

True, Nelson is very talented.

Dave