Where to download music

The Dude

Now when I say download I don't mean for free, I am willing to pay of it if it has a good quality. I have came to realize that music on my computer is to me as CDs are, now if I can just find a good quality. This will not replace my vinyl as I enjoy spinning records. Though at times I just wan't to listen, plus there are some that I don't feel I need on vinyl.

I don't want to do Itunes, I like Spotify, but I want to say I own it and want to be able to use it on what ever player I have, as long as its downloaded and stored to my external hard drive.

Good topic, there seem to be several of the so called high def. sites around with higher priced versions, I read an article that I happen to agree with stating that alot of the so called hi-def stuff is no better than the redbook because of how it was originally recorded, In other words if it was a poor recording to start with changing the bit rate wont improve the sound quality (crap = crap)

What type bit rate are you looking for ?

You can download a lot of music on amazon, simply download there cloud player buy the music and download it to the player and then export it to WMP or Itunes etc... There is probably a way to download it to a file straight, I just have not tried to do so all these come as 256kbps, may be able to change the bit rate I just have not looked into that

I have heard of scruple-less people using programs like Transmission for bit-torrent downloads. Everything from FLAC files to the latest HBO series in 1080p can be had for free.

It probably all works out well right up until you get sued.

I've been using Amazon and i'm happy enough with it. There is also the convenience of Amazon Cloud where copies of your purchases can reside to download again or played from any machine on the web if needed. Also, if you purchase a CD from Amazon, you can also get a mp3 copy of the same album.

...I am willing to pay of it if it has a good quality. I have come to realize that music on my computer is to me as CDs are, now if I can just find a good quality. This will not replace my vinyl as I enjoy spinning records. Though at times I just want to listen, plus there are some that I don't feel I need on vinyl.

I don't want to do Itunes, I like Spotify, but I want to say I own it and want to be able to use it on what ever player I have, as long as its downloaded and stored to my external hard drive.

http://www.hdtracks.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDtracks

This is owned by the Chesky brothers but it includes a lot more music than just Chesky recordings. All downloadable tracks are available in lossless formats with some including 192 Khz/24 bit (...overkill, IMHO).

No DRM...

Chris

Edited by Chris A

HDTT. Truly extraordinary stuff. WPS brought some CDs from there to the Hope gathering and they were stunning. They offer everything from CD to DSD downloads and most in between. Linn records also has some extraordinary high res downloads. Got the best Messiah I ever heard from them, both performance and technical. Acousticsounds has a lot of DSD.

DSD is an excellent format even if you don't have the ability yet to play it. For 200.00 you can purchase Discwelder Bronze which can convert DSD to PCM. DSD can be converted to any PCM sample rate with no dithering...essentially it's still a master with only the information that fits in the downsample format but with no other changes.

Dave

Another site that I haven't used for downloads:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/365/Digital_Download

I have used this site for buying a couple of specialty SACDs--which I now don't recommend buying since there is no legal way to convert the DSD files to another other format except by paying third parties to take your shipped SACD discs and convert the impressed DSD files via specially modified PS3 to other usable formats. YMMV.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

I have done some purchasing through Amazon, I forgot I could load it to wmp. Which may work fine. I don't know how my ps3 scrapes my computer for the music content but I want it as streamlined as possible. I do all so use Plex media with my phone , but again don't know how the data is scrapped. If all is done threw wmp, then as long as I have all my music on my external hard drive copied to wmp I should be good.

I will all so look at some of the links you folks posted. One thing I don't get is why isn't there online music stores like there use to be stores in the mall. Where you can just purchase it, download it how ever you want, and it's yours.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok coming back to this as I just got a little education. I was reading about 24bit/192khz, I don't need that. I am happy with cd quality 16bit/44.1khz. I was looking at the properties between music I ripped vs music I purchased through Amazon. Music I ripped is download to 1.41mbs I don't know how uncompressed this is but I bet its better then the stuff downloaded from Amazon at 255 kps. I just need to find the sources of the music streamed via ether net from my computer to my receiver in dlna. It seems to work great, and I have 16bit/44.1khz play back, and it even tells me what is and what isn't.

Now does this mean I am going to go back and delete all my lower quality stuff, No. Just means I will keep my eye out for some better downloads then replace those lower quality ones. Now to figure the source.

I have done some purchasing through Amazon,
I generally download through Amazon and most of the time all all goes well. However, sometimes the download is of poor quality. I am thankful that Amazon has the auto-rip feature. It is nice to get a cd of (the majority) of the music I purchase.

I generally download through Amazon and most of the time all all goes well. However, sometimes the download is of poor quality. I am thankful that Amazon has the auto-rip feature. It is nice to get a cd of (the majority) of the music I purchase.

OK, I was able to reset my computer and reset my receiver now all the music is showing up. However Amazon downloads won't play, they show up, but won't play. Must be some sort of encryption bs. I am still not able to play vides, but that may be something to do with the receiver.

OK, I was able to reset my computer and reset my receiver now all the music is showing up. However Amazon downloads won't play, they show up, but won't play. Must be some sort of encryption bs. I am still not able to play vides, but that may be something to do with the receiver.

If you are streaming, try Serviio as the DLNA..

If you are streaming, try Serviio as the DLNA..

I will take a look at it.

Just found out my receiver doesn't play videos or pictures, says so right in the manual. 1 thing I am noticing is, that tracks are seamless, as a slight pause between them, any ideas.

Edited by duder1982