Looking for a sub

Utard

So I finally got a pair of heresys.

I have now figured out why my music has sucked for the past few years.

I have a pair of advent legacys that I got new in 1988. They were a great speaker and I loved the sound.

A few years back the foam went out and I had the money so I upgraded to some RF-82 II's.

The sound seemed a little off. I just chalked it up to a better speaker is just revealing my badly recorded music?

So I have been in the process of re recording all my cd's in lossless WAV.

Now I knew the heresy was going to sound better and of course all the mid and highs sounded as expected BUT the bass was surprisingly better also.

So....here is what I am guessing. I don't like ported bass speakers?

Don't get me wrong the RF's sound great in 7.1 surround for movies. I love it for that BUT they never sounded good for music to me.

**************Ok long winded and to the question.

So I really like that 70's music bass drum thump. I think a closed speaker reproduces that sound better for my ears.

So what sub for the heresys?

I don't really know what the hertz break is but I like the bass output from the heresys for 60's-70's-80's rock and roll. I don't know what you call it but not the low bass but that bass drum that you feel in your chest. Not the makes your windows vibrate kind.

What kind of sub will kind of stay out of the way for that type of music BUT will be able to come in for todays music like dubstep that kind of bass.

Would a ported or non ported work for this?

Am I crazy or is this possible?

• Like 1

My budget could be flexible.

I have plenty of room.

The center of the new house is a room that is a little over 30x30 feet about 1000 square feet? Its like a kit-din-liv-den type of room.

I will already have 4 RW 12d's for the HT.

So what would be a good mid bass sub that could do a little deep when called upon?

I will have a separate seating position from the HT.

My budget could be flexible.

I have plenty of room.

The center of the new house is a room that is a little over 30x30 feet about 1000 square feet? Its like a kit-din-liv-den type of room.

I will already have 4 RW 12d's for the HT.

So what would be a good mid bass sub that could do a little deep when called upon?

I will have a separate seating position from the HT.

Mid bass slam like Roger is talking about and something that will hit the low drops in dubstep are a little different.

How big is your room?

BIG

I was thinking RSW-10d or RT-10D if I could find them. I always hear here about how they are musical subs.

Edited by Utard
  • Like 1

Read THIS thread. Being sealed and direct radiators, you should get the chest bump you're looking for. Being 18's, they'll dig low enough for dubstep.

Thanks

This is really the route I should go. I will have the room and time for a project like this now in the new place.

I will get more bang for the buck?

• Like 2

Read THIS thread. Being sealed and direct radiators, you should get the chest bump you're looking for. Being 18's, they'll dig low enough for dubstep.

Thanks

This is really the route I should go. I will have the room and time for a project like this now in the new place.

.Yes!!

Roger

I have to tell you, I actually regret not finding out about DIY 18" subs before now. I have had Klipsch subs, Velodyne subs and JL subs for the past 20 years. After doing this little project, I am convinced that nothing on the market will compare to a DIY 18" build. I put together my 4 for less than what I would have paid for two SVS PB13 Ultras, which is a serious setup all by itself.

I see your name calling me. Man sure does look like your going in the right direction! A good 12 is tough to compare to a descent 15 let alone a great 18"setup. Very money friendly compared to any powered sub in a box! Whats better than 2 than 3 than 4. Best of luck Utard!

• Like 2

The Chase VS 18.1 sub is on close out at $500. This is a big vented sub. I am seriouly considering this one.

Wow i didn't know you could get just the sub. I saw the spring sale for the VS 18.1 and Dayton amp for 899 + 200 ship but if i could get just the sub that would be even better!

I am trying to order miy VS 18.1 today. These thing are capable of 115 db at 20 hz. Go to database for CEA and they out perform all the ID sub for sheer output. It is also possible to seal it. The new one is $895. The only difference is is the finish and a slightly different driver form Eminence. The Xmax is a little great but, no increase in the output numbers. The change in xmax will decrease distortion numbers. I Own the Chase subs, distortion is not a problem. I got the SS 18.1's and SS 18.2 on sale. The VS 18.1 will match the SS 18.2 from 20-63 Hz..

I mention to my wife I was thinking about it this AM and she said get it. I am ordering now before she says I don't need anymore. :D When I get it, I will try it sealed and vented.

Edited by derrickdj1

In the HT Ihave 3 subs. The two SS 18.1's are stacked . This is the smae as as an SS 18.2 which as two 18 in driver. So, the long story is basically two subs. If I get the VS 18.1, I would have 3 subs This is a monster sub with one driver that is 40x22x22.

I have to tell you, I actually regret not finding out about DIY 18" subs before now. I have had Klipsch subs, Velodyne subs and JL subs for the past 20 years. After doing this little project, I am convinced that nothing on the market will compare to a DIY 18" build. I put together my 4 for less than what I would have paid for two SVS PB13 Ultras, which is a serious setup all by itself.

aaaand your welcome.

• Like 2