Looking for a sub

Utard

In the HT Ihave 3 subs. The two SS 18.1's are stacked . This is the smae as as an SS 18.2 which as two 18 in driver. So, the long story is basically two subs. If I get the VS 18.1, I would have 3 subs This is a monster sub with one driver that is 40x22x22.

don't you have 2 epik legends and another smaller sub also?

I still have the Epik that I was considering for the HT. It was doing duty in the family room and now the small Klipsch sub is there. I am waiting to hear back from Chane Music and Cinema monday on a deal for the VS 18.1. I may get two and then I would basically have 4 subs in the HT which is large. Use the two vented near field and the sealed sub a little more spaced out. They all use the same driver are share other parameters that should make it not to hard to integrate. I can always seal the vent and convert the VS 18.1's into sealed sub according to Craig Chase.

• Like 1

An acquaintance of mine has 2 chase subs and they are as good as anything i have heard in home, very nice and very good power with very good low frequency impact. He had each of his on crown k2's and an ashley low pass crossover. Last i knew they were both for sale but he wanted $700 each and 700 each for the crown amps.

• Like 2

Utard, you should look into the recent 18" dayton sub build possibly if you want bang for buck. If you dont want a project, i didnt look it up but a chase 18 plug and play with the inuke amps that are going for crazy low prices right now is an absolute homerun. Buying 4 powered subs in a box which i used to use in my theater(2front, 2 back) setting in a smaller room myself let alone a large room like yours there is nothing on the planet i could compare to even 1 quality 18. Once you get an 18 in home theater you never look back. Once again with 2...4 18's is just right up in your face bass that is never been regret. Sincerely, cheers

• Like 2

Yes I will be doing the DIY 18's.

But for now I did set two of my RW 12d's up with the Heresys. I put them at the depth setting and 40 hz. They seem to be ok for now. But that has been for radio listening only so far. The move is going slow.

But yeah I will do one DIY 18 and if I like it we I might have to sell the RW's :) But I guess that means I would have to build what like 5 of the 18's?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you can build two simple sealed cabinets(proper bracing) you are a great candidate for DIY. I used to own over 60 commercial subs of many sizes and ranging from budget to upscale subs. Once I started with my first srious build a dual TC Sounds TC-3000 15" sealed opposed. I never looked back. Dollar for dollar cannot be beat, you buy the driver and amp, and pay very little for the cabinet (I use regular Birch and Russian Baltic Birch), you can use MDF as I have used for my two first projects, mostly a time investment.

Today quality large displacement drivers ca be had from ~$200 to $300/ driver, a economical pro amp ~$300. The rest ~ $100. To access a level of performance you cannot find in ready made subs . A large ported of a much more compact multiple sealed are two viable ways to reach great performance. I prefer multiple sealed as I can boost extreme LF to get flat frequency response down to near DC. Ported you get much more output per/driver down low, at the expense of increased box size. Or you can use PR's to maintain box size in check. Opposed PR's are very important as they are mass loaded.