Tube Amp

Utard

What would be a good entry level/starter tube amp. Under $500?

It would be needed for Heresys and a sub (2.1 sound).

Would like to be able to run a HD through USB with WAV music.

Anyone in the SLC, Utah area that would be willing to let me listen to their tube amps?

• Like 1

My strong suggestion would be to by a Dynaco ST35 kit from Dynacokitparts.com incredible service... he will even solder your PCBs.... Dynacos have a cult following and many many many on here can help. The ST35 will be more than enough power and will be super reliable. We can even help you add a vol pot. http://www.dynakitparts.com/dynakit-products/amplifier-kits/ST-35-KIT

If not, my 2nd strong choice is musical paradise MP-301…. Great amp… Go dynaco if you want pride of building… go Musical Paradise for entry level that punches above its weight. http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

My strong suggestion would be to by a Dynaco ST35 kit from Dynacokitparts.com incredible service... he will even solder your PCBs.... Dynacos have a cult following and many many many on here can help. The ST35 will be more than enough power and will be super reliable. We can even help you add a vol pot. http://www.dynakitparts.com/dynakit-products/amplifier-kits/ST-35-KIT

If not, my 2nd strong choice is musical paradise MP-301…. Great amp… Go dynaco if you want pride of building… go Musical Paradise for entry level that punches above its weight. http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

Are any of the ad on options a must have on the musical paradise tube amp? Or that are worth the extra cost? Edited by reference_head

What would be a good entry level/starter tube amp. Under $500?

It would be needed for Heresys and a sub (2.1 sound).

Would like to be able to run a HD through USB with WAV music.

Anyone in the SLC, Utah area that would be willing to let me listen to their tube amps?

By your name i figure your talking to me

Look up "Primeamp" on Ebay, they do ok by me.

This would be easy and probably your best bet for plug and play. its amazing the quality you will get for the price you will pay and you can later roll tubes, ad a large power cord or have a tech do some modding to up the quality if you want a little at a time though not needed they are good outta the box

This is awsome. The website altogether. I wondered if they still had kits and never looked. I believe they stopped distributing their airplane kits about 20 years ago due to many deaths

Are any of the ad on options a must have on the musical paradise tube amp? Or that are worth the extra cost?

ditto " " " " i immediately thought the same thing

• Like 1

Id go with some version of NOS tube... RCA or KENRAD... prob worth the money.

I personally prefer the sound of 6L6s to EL34... Once you get and use for a while goto tube depot and go wild... Lots of options.

The owner of musical paradise has spoken directly on a few posts on audio karma... He designs in canada and builds in asia... That said he amps look well made. I don't think its the last word by any means... but defin an amp to be proud to use and has some nice features... vol pot and 2 inputs.

Looking on ebay... Id get it stock and buy my driver tube off ebay or tube depot.

Edited by justinsweber

I'm currently using a MP-301 to power a pair of La Scalas. It is a good amp for the $, but far from perfect. It has some hum issues out of the box. I was able to minimize this by using a cheater plug to lift the ground.

Also, the stock tubes are less than stellar. They are Chinese, of course. I have had good results switching to other tubes. This amp seems to change its sound A LOT when switching tubes. I feel like most amps change character slightly when you swap tubes, not a major change. This amp is different. Swap the 6L6 tubes for EL34s and you get a completely different tonal balance. It is nice for tuning the amp to the speakers, but can be frustrating not knowing what tubes will produce the sound you want without having to buy them and try them out. This may have something to do with the SEP architecture?

With only 6.5 watts, you wont get thunderous bass out of a Heresy. However, you have a sub, so that shouldn't be a problem. For less than $400 I think I got a good deal, though I will probably upgrade when I can afford to. It will definitely give you an idea of what tube sound is all about (that sweet, sweet midrange goodness).

+1 on the Musical paradise 301. I wish I kept mine. Fun little amp to tube roll to get the different sounds to your liking. I ran mine with heresy II's and sub to very good results in 23x14 room.

I just picked up a refurbished H.H Scott 340b for under 400 that's impressive as well if you can find one. having to bring it back to spec will bring it over budget though.

Edited by ajoker2c

Short answer is yes but who cares... tone controls can be helpful for some.

I generally perfer Vol and Bal and leave it at that.

The problem with removing them is that the circuit requires some tweaking after... more again generally. I think the wiser choice is get a useable unit and refurb... New pots, new switches, Can Cans or PCB and new PCBS... maybe with the NFB mod and call it good. I personally dont make my amps with adjustment as most... myself included are not likely to revisit often enough.

So would I assume a $525 DIY kit have the sound of $750 complete amp?

I do plan on doing some DIY subs so this might just be up my alley a DIY amp.

BUT is an am like this just for 2 speakers? A left and a right? How would you get a sub to work with this.

Also I plan on doing a 18's DIY sub. I noticed on the specs for the amp it does not go below 20hz would this be a problem?

I have no problem with the DIY part of soldering, nailing, gluing, wiring and what not I just don't get all the oms, push-pull, matched quad, bias stuff.

Give me a pile of crap and tell me to put it together I am good. You want to know how it works well.....you are on your own :)

• Like 1

I think it has the sound of a $2K amp... the ST35 is very special.

If you at Dynakit they now also have a SCA35 which is the integrated version... multiple inputs and Phono pre.

They sell the chassis, transformers and etc... youll have to source the PCBs.. but they tell you where to get... If it were my 1st DIY amp... Id go pretty close to stock and follow the wiring diagrams which you can download from multiple sources.

Given your goals a SCA35 maybe a better choice... Has power, just more flexible.

Re: Sub. Very often the sub amp will take input from the speaker wire... run the speaker wires to it and then from the sub to the speakers... that way the sub does crossover duty and makes life easier for the main speakers... as they will not have to play freq. below the crossover point, ~80hz to -120hz.

Most amps, esp tube amps dont advertise freq ext below 20hz. Id call Dynakit parts and takl to kevin... then see the sites he sugests for replacement boards and review the build instructions... the amp is more than 40years old (design) yet is highly sought after... the design was solid and the iron is very good.