Southern BBQ

Daddy Dee

Wanted to post an update in the venerable Southern BBQ thread that used to live in the General Forum. It is probably still out there somewhere, but my quick search didn't locate it.

Just wanted to say Kudos! to SSH who prepared BBQ and trimmings for the Friends of Paul gathering in Hope last weekend.

Man, that was some good Q. Not sure i can describe his process except to say that he smoked boston butts at home, pulled the pork and warmed it up in crock pots at the super8. It was lightly sauced and served on buns or on the plate.

Also world class was his oil and vinegar based slaw. no mayo. Pinto beans from scratch with smoked sausage also the real deal.

Thank you Steve. This was a fabulous dinner for the gathering and would have been considered world class catered by any bbq establishment. Huge amount of work getting this all to Hope and served. Thanks bro!

• Like 1

Wanted to post an update in the venerable Southern BBQ thread that used to live in the General Forum. It is probably still out there somewhere, but my quick search didn't locate it.

Just wanted to say Kudos! to SSH who prepared BBQ and trimmings for the Friends of Paul gathering in Hope last weekend.

From the farmhouse thread it looks like everyone had a great time. However, I've just got one question, did he borrow seti's BBQ/smoker setup?

Since I'm grilling in arkansas I can't be seen using a conventional grill..

15.jpg

Not sure which thread you may be thinking of since there are several; however, here is an old BBQ thread that ran 21 pages.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/82347-ot-southern-bbq-ribs/page-1

Here is the thread that several of us have used last summer to post BBQ/smoking pictures.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/128384-bbqsmoker

My wife and I went to the Farmers Market in Springfield Mo early Saturday morning. I bought 3 rack spare ribs from a vendor. They said they raised there pigs on acorn and whey. The ribs wasn't very long or wide, but they were thick. Also got some fine looking hamburger. I got home and thaw out the ribs only to find out there was 2 racks per package. No meat on the bones. It was hard to tell the bone side from the meat side. I cooked them anyway. They had a good flavor but tuff.

I have a Weber kettle and I love it. I use Stubbs briquettes. I go with the snake method/ fuse method, 2 briquette wide, 2 high with apple wood on top of briquettes. I do a C shape with a water pan in the middle. Lite one end and it burns for about 9 hours @ 250 degrees. I do the 321 kinda deal, smoke for 3 hours, wrap in foil with a little Dr. Pepper for 2 hours then back on grill to firm them up for about an hour. They come out real good and have alot of fun.

• Like 1

I'm gonna experiment a little with rubs this year, I think, but in the past I've had good results using just kosher salt, pepper and garlic salt on baby backs or St. Louis cuts with indirect heat, charcoal and soaked hickory chunks on an oversized Weber or offset smoker. About 3 hours cook time using apple juice in a sprayer to maintain moistness gets tender meat with a real smoke ring. I will usually start another fire in a smaller Weber and finish the job with direct heat and sauce for 15 or fewer minutes to get a good crust and appearance. The downside to this approach is that I have a patio fairly littered with BBQ pits. (We also have a gas grill for corn or other veggies). I've hesitated to use a rub out of concern over mixing all the flavors of hickory, rub and BBQ sauce, but again I plan to experiment and see what works. Cheers, guys!!

The downside to this approach is that I have a patio fairly littered with BBQ pits. (We also have a gas grill for corn or other veggies). I've hesitated to use a rub out of concern over mixing all the flavors of hickory, rub and BBQ sauce

I think the secret to that mix is to use a dry rub with spices you'd normally put in the sauce as well. Make a sauce that is flavorful, but not overpowering. Then it all comes together with the smoking harmoniously...like good music!

Dave

• Like 2

PESHEWAH - Sorry for delayed response. Just saw your question. My Weber is the 26.75" model. Just got it last summer and like it a bunch. Does basically the same job as my 22" but you get more stuff on it and it's easier for indirect/smoking. When ribs are ready for "finishing" I transfer to the smaller Weber for quick direct heat and sauce. Gotta be careful not to dry 'em out.

DAVE - Thanks for the tip. Guess I gotta find rub that's compatible with my sauce.

Chuck

My wife and I went to the Farmers Market in Springfield Mo early Saturday morning. I bought 3 rack spare ribs from a vendor. They said they raised there pigs on acorn and whey. The ribs wasn't very long or wide, but they were thick. Also got some fine looking hamburger. I got home and thaw out the ribs only to find out there was 2 racks per package. No meat on the bones. It was hard to tell the bone side from the meat side. I cooked them anyway. They had a good flavor but tuff.

I have a Weber kettle and I love it. I use Stubbs briquettes. I go with the snake method/ fuse method, 2 briquette wide, 2 high with apple wood on top of briquettes. I do a C shape with a water pan in the middle. Lite one end and it burns for about 9 hours @ 250 degrees. I do the 321 kinda deal, smoke for 3 hours, wrap in foil with a little Dr. Pepper for 2 hours then back on grill to firm them up for about an hour. They come out real good and have alot of fun.

Around here, the pigs spend their final months gorging on hazelnuts...

+1 on the Snake Method!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I use mesquite chips for the smokey taste. Get a large coffee can, put the chips in and add water to let them soak. Then hang the can near the heat and watch the magic begin. Brisket is the meat of choice to smoke hear in east Texas.

Edited by Aggie Klipsch
  • Like 1

• Moderators

So your smoking with charcoal and adding smoke with a can of chips ? You better hope none of those old time Texas smokers read that, they may kick you out of the state. :D

Just kidding what are you cooking on, and yes brisket is great and now they price like it's great, :( it was the cheapest piece of meat for a long time.